R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing an Otari MX-70??  (Read 1745 times)

vinyvamos

Syncing an Otari MX-70??
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:59:31 PM »

I've recently picked up a lovely Otari MX-70 1" 8 track (it's an 8 wired for 16 model) and I'm hoping to sync it to a Tascam 48 that I bought from the same guy. From what I've been reading it seems I'd have to sacrifice a track on each for striped SMPTE AND find a synchronizer to control the two machines! What I would love to know is have any of you guys seen this done directly using the "SMPTE" accessory connections or is this totally out of the question? I know tape slippage would probably be a major issue.

Another option I have is to get a 16 track headstack for the Otari and 8 more cards but that might cost me loads and I'd be sacrificing the fat tape width that the 8 tracks on 1" offers. I am intending to have a fully analog ~16 track setup but am on a very limited budget. I've been messing with a 38 for about 2 years now but wanted to upgrade.

If you can let me know your thoughts and ideas it'd be much appeciated and even average costs on the Otari parts! Thanks in advance!

Vinny

rankus

Re: Syncing an Otari MX-70??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »

Yup you will need to lose a track on th tape machine... I had good luck with a MOTU Time Piece that would allow the DAW to follow the tape fluctuations...  (It would do SMPTE to Word Clock)

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.