R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP14 discussion  (Read 18842 times)

Baddo

Re: IMP14 discussion
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2007, 06:21:58 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 15:20

... Hats are harsh man...

mmm interesting.. is there a specific section or do you find them harsh the whole track?
-Baddo

J-Texas

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2007, 09:18:23 PM »

Baddo wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 17:21

mmm interesting.. is there a specific section or do you find them harsh the whole track?

I guess in general man. It's not that bad by any stretch. It's especially when they are banging wide open. It doesn't kill the mix for me... just an observation. A little tweak. Like I said, I like the mix. I think the segues are way too over the top for my taste, but what do I know.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Baddo

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2007, 09:32:05 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 20:18

I guess in general man. It's not that bad by any stretch. It's especially when they are banging wide open. It doesn't kill the mix for me... just an observation. A little tweak. Like I said, I like the mix. I think the segues are way too over the top for my taste, but what do I know.

Oh, ok. I just asked because I like to identify this things...
    ...although now that you told me I don't know if I'll ever stop thinking about that HH being harsh whenever I listen to the song. Razz
-Baddo

J-Texas

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2007, 09:41:19 PM »

Baddo wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 20:32

J-Texas wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 20:18

Oh, ok. I just asked because I like to identify this things...
    ...although now that you told me I don't know if I'll ever stop thinking about that HH being harsh whenever I listen to the song. Razz

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!! LOL  Laughing  Don't lose sleep man and don't second guess. Just think about it next time. 10-4?
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

southboundloco

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »

god damn i really need better snare samples
-=MUSIC is MINDANAO=-

southboundloco

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2007, 10:14:35 PM »

Quote:

Southbound - Metal mania. On the fence on the panning situation. Wow. Godzilla just stepped on the scene! Weak snare man IMO. Compression. compression. compression. Whoa. There that damn Godzilla again. Can somebody get him out of the studio? Nice toms. Interesting bridge. I would have cleaned up the fade at the end, unless that's what you were going for.

yeah sori bout the panning thing, i should have just done that in the second stanza, it was too early to introduce something weird in the beginning of the song. about the snare, thats why i really hate  resorting to sample replacement/enhancing when i have to use samples from a different place it totally fucks it up. thats why when i do tracking i always do my own samples.just have the drummer  whack that snare+toms on its own a couple of  times and record it in the beginning or the end, could be a life saver. GODZILLA?... hehe the end i just left it as it is. if its gonna get mastered the mastering guy can fix that fade out anyway.yeah yeah yeah am being lazy... Very Happy  
-=MUSIC is MINDANAO=-

J-Texas

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2007, 10:20:36 PM »

southboundloco wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 21:14

yeah sori bout the panning thing, i should have just done that in the second stanza, it was too early to introduce something weird in the beginning of the song.

DUDE DO NOT APOLOGIZE. That was strictly my opinion. If that's what it felt like to you, then cool.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

chrisj

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2007, 10:24:38 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 16:20

ChrisJ - What the hell?  Very Happy That guitar lazered through my forehead. I like drum segue. THAT GUITAR IS KILLING ME. A little tiny on the snare man. Where's the kick? AHHHH THE TORTURE. THE HUMANITY! MAKE IT STOP!! Very Happy I see where you were going with the snare, it's has crack but no beef. I feel sorry for the rest of the guys I have to critique... my ears are about to fall off. Tell me what freq you bumped on that lead guitar so I'll know what to roll off in the future!  Very Happy

I don't know what you're complaining about. It's only 19 db of 3.1K boost.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Ain't I a sick puppy? J had me use only normal EQs and such just to try and get me not to do stuff like that, but sometimes I just can't help myself. The great thing is the occasional guy who actually LIKES it...

J-Texas

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2007, 10:52:07 PM »

That's why your mix got 1 listen. I would be ruined in the vocal range if I listened to it again!   Laughing
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Gabriel F

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2007, 10:52:56 PM »

here are my reviews as always feel free to comment what you feel and if i let someone out please let me know.

jason thompson: i like de drums and bass, guitars feels a tad thin, nice mix.

icombs: bass is too soft, is that a tremolo on the guitar?
vocals could be a little bit louder, nice mix one of my favorites.

audio_geek: drums are too soft, the guitars are harsh, i like the phaser idea but it sounds a bit weird on that harsh solo, some weird sounds during the drum break.

briefcasemanx: snare could use some reverb and kick gets lost sometimes, i dont like the loud guitars, bass could be louder., nice balanced mix but needs more power.

chrisj: the solo is really harsh, bass sounds "honky", i dont like the snare in the drum break. this mix sounds more fuller than previous mixes from you

darkhorse power: cymbals harsh, snare lacks power. vocals feels distant especiallly because of the harsh cymbals.

devink: snare needs more depth, nice vocal treatments.

hlabb: nice drums and vocal treatment, maybe vocals with a little sibilance and guitars could be softer and bass loude.

macbraddy: i like the intro. i dont like the filtered vocals and the right guitar grabs too much attention because its loud and/or midrangey. nice kick drum.

mcsnare: nice drums, maybe the snare is a  little bright,  great vocal treatments. chorus vocals could be louder.great mix.

soul fire mix: i dont like the guitars they are too loud. watch those plosives. i like the drums but the guitars dominate everything.

adammiller.  guitars feels thin. nice mix.

ator: cymbals too bright and pumping weirdly. chorus vocals should be louder. nice mix.

baddo: i dont like the drum break effects. i dont like too much the guitar balance. nice mix.

boedoconstrictor: i dont like the vocal delays it feels weird maybe if you put the delay time shorter it could be great. chorus vocals could be louder. great mix one of my favorites.

fantomas (this is me): solo is too soft. vocals should be louder and put the delays louder too. i like the rithm section. i should back off the bass overdrive especially during the soft part, and automate better some of the vocals. i like the exagerated snare during the drum break.
I spend too little time with the vocals and almost forgot about the piano track.

jhall: guitars a tad bright, i like the vocal delays but they could be softer, it seems you got the same problem as me (lack of time), and spend most of your time making the rythm section rock. but i like it.

maxim: the band sounds dark and the vocals sounds pasted over it and feels disconneted from then band.

osumosan: loud loud loud, vocals sound thin. i could have liked the trashy drums if the cymbals were darker and quieter.

singsing: cymbals are too loud, i like the filtered vocal but sounds cheesey but in a good way. nice mix.

ryst: i like the guitars but they could be quieter. nice balanced nothing wrong but nothing really interesting.

blloyd: drums needs more power especially the kick drum. i dont really like the panned clean guitar. guitars too fizzy. if the drum break treatment were wuieter i could have like it a lot. nice piano. nice balance but lacks some power.

mcarter: this mix could be great if the guitars were a tad louder and with less hi mids and more low mids and a little overdrive on the bass (like my in mix). you took out those cheesy reggae guitars great but you should have made some drum fill or something. almost great mix.

My main problem except for the lack of time to work on the vocals was the guitars, i could not made them rock like i wanted, they had almost no useable low mids thats why i made the bass way big.
thats why i liked the mixes with the guitars quieter and/or with filtered hi mids

J-Texas

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2007, 10:58:41 PM »

fantomas wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 21:52

jason thompson: i like de drums and bass, guitars feels a tad thin, nice mix.

Thanks for the words brother. Yeah, the mid overkill was intentional on the guitar... I liked the crunch. It's always interesting how two people can listen to the exact same thing and hear it totally differently. As is the way of art my friend. Thanks again man.

JT
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

M Carter

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2007, 01:00:05 AM »

Ok.... here we go -

Audio~geek - Where'd the drums go? It's a little hard for me to sort out what's going on in the guitars in this mix.  I like that you did the dry vocal thing on the leads, it doesn't seem like too many people took it there.

J.Hall - i don't really want to go to far critiquing an unfinished mix, but it sounds like you had the right idea.  I don't really dig the delay on things though, it makes it feel less intense.

J-texas - you and I are going to agree to disagree on the mids.  to me all the mid range makes the mix sound smaller, was that intentional?  I noticed you didn't try to pull much ambience out of the drums, so the mix works as a mix, it's just not really the way i interpreted the song. nice work on taking out the piano though.. I wish I had done the same.  

HLabb -  this is the first mix that kept me interested all of the way through the song.  The only major change I'd make would be to give some of the secondary and background vocals their own personality, otherwise it sounds like 4 Adams fighting over the same space.

Soul Fire - The guitars sound a bit like they're going through a metal zone pedal, and are a bit distracting from the point of the song - the vocals and energy.  I dug the idea behind the filter ed drum breaks, but it feels a little half baked.  

macbraddy - the clean guitar intro needs to be lower.  trick the listener into jacking up the volume so when the song kicks in, it really kicks in.  the vocals feel a bit separated from the mix.  

Devin K - pretty straight forward, but the ambience is off on the vocal.  It feels like it's in this hole somewhere behind the music.  if you dried it up or wetted up the music, it'd go a long way.  

singsing - more metal zone guitars.  the drums aren't standing up to them.  Interesting switch up in the chorus, making the "why do i matter to you' the lead and the 'just can't wait' more of a background...  i hadn't thought of that.

Baddo - Kept the drums sounding pretty close mic'd while everything else got pretty huge.  I dig the guitar sound, I just want more beef from the drums to drive them along.

Southboundloco - intro sounds pretty cool, but the mix fell prey to the drum sounds.  They weren't bad drum sounds to begin with, they just weren't big enough for this type of song.  

AdamMiller - impressive - you had me sold until the vocals.  It felt like you got the music killin and then you dealt with the vocals afterwards.  

chrisj - way too weird for me in the midrange on the guitars.  I can't even imagine the havoc this could wreak on ears at loud volumes.  It's less extreme than your usual, but all that midrange in the 'solo guitar' really screws with the vocal placement.

Ator - I dig where you took the drums, but the verb on the snare takes me a bit out of the moment.  everything else about this one i really dig.  couple of other things - the bass could blend more with the guitars, and some of the vocals jump out. nice work otherwise.

Osumosan - the compression is a little extreme for me, but i like the energy of it.  Some things I noticed about this and your IMP13 mix - lots of reverb on the vocals and a limited frequency range over the entire mix.  is this intentional?

iCombs - One of my favorites, but the snare seems a little choked.  Maybe a big sounding sample?

mcsnare - easily the most consistent mix.  the transition into the end break sounded great.

BoedoConstrictor - Nice mix, but I want a little more 'inyourface-ness' to the vocal.  I say just squash that shit and call it a day!

Maxim - a real dark mix, huh? it sounds like you went a little apeshit with the eq.  i didn't think this track really needed anything extreme to work.

BrianLloyd - went for a more mono direction, eh? It feels a bit smaller than the other ones as a result.  

alright - i'm starting to get lazy, i'll have some more tomorrow...

Matt

Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

J-Texas

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2007, 09:03:12 AM »

M Carter wrote on Wed, 29 August 2007 00:00

J-texas - you and I are going to agree to disagree on the mids.  to me all the mid range makes the mix sound smaller, was that intentional?  I noticed you didn't try to pull much ambience out of the drums, so the mix works as a mix, it's just not really the way i interpreted the song. nice work on taking out the piano though.. I wish I had done the same.  

We're getting somewhere, you and I, Matt.  Very Happy  I wanted it crunchy and edgy like Peanut Brittle my man. It just works for me when all of the stuff kicks in. All of the sounds are still there for me, so I can't complain (except wanting my f-ing drums to sound like mcsnare's) That's a whole other story though. LOL. I'm just jealous and I can admit it.  Surprised  I think a lot of the coolness of the drums were there in the OHs, so I built on that. The room sounded cool so I capitalized on that and used the toms for room too. The piano was really sampled and fake sounding and frankly superfluous IMO. Everyone thinks that I took it out, but I used it with the bass guitar to give some little harmonic sounding overtones. Listen again to see what I mean. Thanks so much for the listen.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

osumosan

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2007, 09:25:30 AM »

M Carter wrote on Wed, 29 August 2007 01:00

Osumosan - the compression is a little extreme for me, but i like the energy of it.  Some things I noticed about this and your IMP13 mix - lots of reverb on the vocals and a limited frequency range over the entire mix.  is this intentional?

Dunno. I was going for the live sound again and I'm glad you liked the energy. I mixed this very loud in the headphones (what'd you say, sonny?) since I was away from my monitors for the week. I tried to keep an even keel on all the frequencies, and probably the compression smoothed a lot of that.

I do like compression and I do like dark. For some reason 10K really bugs me so I usually boost above that from 12k-16k usually. Maybe you're missing 8-10k in my mix. What do you think of my bottom?  Rolling Eyes  I still haven't had a chance to listen on my monitors, but I would probably agree with everyone's comments.

J-tex: I'm glad the hats weren't too much for you. They lost quite a bit in the mp3 conversion and you can hear artifacts, but probably the pumping that's there is my ducking of the OH's by the snare. It was an experiment to gain control over the snare sound while holding on to the sizzle. And yes, I was lovin' the verb. There's a room and a plate going and I automated the plate way up in the chorus, cause I was lovin' it!

fantomas: by thin, do you mean low in the mix? For rock I like the vox to be "in" the band. My IMP13 mix was an extreme version of that and I thought these should ride over the mix a bit, so a +1db up version would be called for here. It kind of kills me that I'm on that end of the loudness spectrum, but I like the way a buss compressor glues a mix. I usually pull back on the threshold quite a bit at the end of a mix, too. You should hear it crushed before that.

M Carter

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2007, 10:37:50 AM »

osumosan -

Did you "vintage warm" the mix buss ?   It's one of those mixes I'm a little afraid to turn up because it's already so loud feeling, but it doesn't feel "big" loud, just loud.  Something you may want to try is running your supercompressed mix alongside a less compressed (or not at all compressed) mix to help keep all the low end and transients you lose in the compression.  

What did you guys use as a reference?  My main ref for this was the Atari's cover of that Don Henley jam "Boys Of Summer".

Matt
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.