R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP14 discussion  (Read 18857 times)

j.hall

Re: IMP14 discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 04:43:29 PM »

it's not looking good for me either.

i've got a rough blend up, but i just can't buy time to finish it.

sadly, i think i'll miss this one.

Greg Dixon

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »

Well it's good that we're all so busy. I managed to have a quick listen to it, but can't find time to mix it, unless I stay up all night after a long day of mixing, which I won't be doing.

j.hall

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 09:47:52 PM »

i think as the mod, i need to attempt to pull this off.

i'll submit something, even if it isn't finished.

M Carter

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 11:52:48 PM »

I'm in the same boat - just started basics for a new project this week, I think I've got something most of the way there I can make happen for tomorrow though.

Matt
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

chrisj

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 12:01:31 AM »

Me too- totally lastminute, but on the bright side, this tune did call for really widerange sound, not all chunky midrange Wink

I did entirely stock Logic plugs, mostly channel EQ. I did try some crazy things but the workflow was extremely simple- not even any busses or reverb- only hangup was expanding Logic out to 32 tracks to deal with the hilarious track count Smile

For a change I think I got respectable drum sounds. Not all point this time. This was partly through the simplification but not entirely- but thanks J, I thought I'd probably learn something and I did.

We upload Monday, right? It just became Monday where I'm standing Wink

mcsnare

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 12:28:05 AM »

I'm uploaded. I just did my normal thang, nothing fancy. I did do a fair amount of editing for tightness on one of the guitar tracks. The guy sounded like he had waaay too much coffee or possibly something stronger.... I finished mine and was out of town when the new vocal files came about. I just went with what I had.
Dave

maxim

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 12:48:31 AM »

it sounds great as usual, dave!

it's probably still a good idea to put a link to the file in the official thread though, 'coz people might miss out on hearing how it should be done...

Soul_Fire

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 02:37:55 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Been lurking around here for a while now and decided it was time I got more involved!

I thought having a go at an IMP would be a good way to start. Really enjoyed working on the track!

Cheers,

Stephen.

southboundloco

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 08:53:13 AM »

hehe somebody already put up their own 'submissions' thread
-=MUSIC is MINDANAO=-

j.hall

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 09:04:07 AM »

southboundloco wrote on Mon, 27 August 2007 07:53

hehe somebody already put up their own 'submissions' thread

no big deal.

J-Texas

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 03:29:43 PM »

maxim wrote on Sun, 26 August 2007 23:48

it sounds great as usual, dave! ... 'coz people might miss out on hearing how it should be done...

You Kiss-ass!  Laughing
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

iCombs

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 07:44:51 PM »

Alright, gents!  I’ll preface my commentary by first answering some of the questions that came up during the mix week. The band is actually my band, 3 Pill Morning.  The song is a song that’s not going to be on our album (for which this was actually a self-produced demo/pre-production track) called, if you hadn’t already guessed by the chorus, “Can’t Wait.”  If anyone has any specific questions regarding tracking or anything else, I’ll happily answer them.

That all said...let’s get on to the reviews!!

J Hall - I like where the drums fit in your mix, but all the delay is killing me.  I know you’ve submitted a somewhat unfinished mix, so I can understand some of that, but it’s really distracting in the verses, where the vocal rhythms are tighter.

mcsnare - I’m really impressed.  The definition you have going on is killer, esp, in the guitars.  Did you cut out some of the doubles?  I know you moved the arpeggiated 3rd guitar to the left in the chorus, and I didn’t hear the goony surf “digga digga digga” in the second pre-chorus, but I’m really interested in how you edited the guitar tracks a little more specifically.  Also...drum wise...those samples are niiice.  In a lot of ways, they remind me of the drums on the first Audioslave album...they’re really up front and defined...they’re not like nu-metal punchy, but more like an older-school kinda flat but crankin sort of sound...I don’t know how quite to describe it, but I like it.

HLabb - That is one SERIOUSLY fat sounding snare.  I don’t know if you beefed it up with a sample (other than the triggered snare I included) or not, but to get that sort of thump out of a 5x13 vented acrylic snare is pretty sweet.  It feels like the kick and snare kinda chew on each other in terms of compression.  I like the edit in the second verse.  Some of the vocal harmonies can come up a little bit.  The izotope vinyl on the piano is a cool touch.  WOAH!  Interesting re-use of the “choral” stuff.  That’s a pretty dense harmony for a rock track.  Nice work overall...everything feels a little crunchy, and other than the pumping between the snare and kick, I like the mix in general.

SoulFire - Howdy, midrange!  Those guitars sound a bit like we used practice amps intstead of 4x12’s.  The drum break into the first chorus is a cool idea, but it feels like it’s a little “dropped in” on everything.  There seems to be a lot of midrange content missing from the vocals that makes intelligibility difficult.  The drums sound like they could all use a bit more snap in the top end.

J-Texas - Wow...sparse right off the top.  And crunchy.  You didn’t like jeff’s mic for his vocals in the verse?  Interesting take...man...it’s WAY lo-fi compared to what I’ve heard so far.  Not sure that I’m digging that particular aspect, but I do like the balances and the separation...everything feels really organic and garage, which is just not something I usually associate with this band.  But that’s cool...I definitely think there’s some room for garage in the sound...the breakdown vocals are interesting, as I know I leaned really heavily on the group vocals, and there’s scarcely any in yours...what’s funny is the arrangement you laid out is basically the arrangement we used live.  Are you stalking us?

macbraddy - interesting re-cut on the intro...I liked the vocal treatment on the first line...after that it felt a bit played out.  The drums punch well...but that low-fi vocal feels really distracting when paired against this big poppy backing track.  That just kills the mix for me, man.  The rest of the mix feels solid, but that just tips the balances in an awkward way.  I like the flange at the end of the second chorus.  That’s a cool touch.  But really...the vocals don’t feel like they sit with the rest of the track for the WHOLE track.

This is what I got for now...I have to run out before guitarget closes and pick up a power conditioner and rack drawer for my new bass rig...I'll pick up some more tonight and some more tomorrow and see where we end up!
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

J-Texas

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 09:06:04 PM »

iCombs wrote on Mon, 27 August 2007 18:44

J-Texas - Wow...sparse right off the top.  And crunchy.  You didn’t like jeff’s mic for his vocals in the verse?  Interesting take...man...it’s WAY lo-fi compared to what I’ve heard so far.  Not sure that I’m digging that particular aspect, but I do like the balances and the separation...everything feels really organic and garage, which is just not something I usually associate with this band.  But that’s cool...I definitely think there’s some room for garage in the sound...the breakdown vocals are interesting, as I know I leaned really heavily on the group vocals, and there’s scarcely any in yours...what’s funny is the arrangement you laid out is basically the arrangement we used live.  Are you stalking us?

Ian, let me pucker up and do some ass smoochin'... I love the drums man. I seriously only wanted to use the OH. I'm not sure what you mean about Jeff's mic. You guys sounded very similar and I wanted it to be distinct, almost like question and answer. The gang vocal had some bleed so I went with it and gave it a "hollow" sound, but on his track I compressed the thing hard and saturated it. It really felt garage to me, you know? I ALWAYS had mixed "safe" and went for fidelity in the time prior to IMP. I have been pushing myself in a different direction to test my limitations. You know how J. talks about like a space in time, or whatever hookah guru shit he blows  Very Happy . Well, I listened. That was the "space" for me... a club or garage or show. That's why I crushed the vox. I wanted it to sound like I was in the jam room. Pure rock. As far as the breakdown vox, man, it wasn't Kumbaya for me. I didn't trust the sing along, everybody in the stadium holds up the lighter and love is in the air... or is it Nag Champa, anyway... less was more there for me. I did use the extra set of vox, but only the midrange. Thank you very much for the critique.  
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

macbraddy

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 09:14:19 PM »

macbraddy - interesting re-cut on the intro...I liked the vocal treatment on the first line...after that it felt a bit played out...

That's kinda how I expected those vox to go over... Great on the first line -- played out on the rest of it. Cuz -- I guess that's how it felt for me as well. To be honest -- I just didn't know what to do with 'em after that.

But I guess that's why we (or I) do these things -- To hear how other people might treat the same material. I'll go through and take some leads from some of the other mixes -- which at first listen seem to be a nice lot!

j.hall

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 10:19:11 PM »

J Hall - I like where the drums fit in your mix, but all the delay is killing me.  I know you?ve submitted a somewhat unfinished mix, so I can understand some of that, but it?s really distracting in the verses, where the vocal rhythms are tighter.

my mix has NO automation.  the vocal effects were roughed in for the choruses and never delt with in the verses.

excuses, excuses..........

this is probably a really good view into what a "framed out" mix of mine sounds like.  i wouldn't even submit that as a rough mix.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.