R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fox's "1/2 Hour News Hour" Yanked  (Read 1383 times)

Larrchild

Fox's "1/2 Hour News Hour" Yanked
« on: August 15, 2007, 03:24:52 PM »

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/08/14/half-hour-newshour-fails /

I was just getting into it, too. The morbid curiosity of viewing a car wreck was my motivation, perhaps, but watching Republicans do "funny" is, in this case, anyway, watching someone try way too hard. It was dreadful.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

rnicklaus

Re: Fox's "1/2 Hour News Hour" Yanked
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »

One of the problems is that Stewart and Colbert are on COMEDY CENTRAL.  They are FUNNY yet biting.

The 1/2 Hour News Our was on Fox and 1.) not very funny and 2.) just a mean spirited show.

I don't believe Fox "gets" what Comedy Central has with their 2 shows.
R.N.

Larrchild

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 04:31:43 PM »

It was simply "We need a show like that too", without understanding the nuances. (see: "Fridays" ABC 1980)

And the notion that Fox viewers would take a break from the intense partisan lockstep repetitive mantras that rotate on the screen, to kick back and watch a "comedy show", and then go back to seething and spitting was a miscalculation. After losing the last election, they are not in a "funny" mood.

But it could have been better executed. There are many funny things about the left. But to appeal to the lower IQ needed to sustain ratings on that channel, they could not get the irony across.
Just came off mean, due to the lack of sophistication required.
Larry Janus

PRobb

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »

I saw two episodes. A few problems. First, it was mean. Second, it was pure one sided propaganda (well it is Fox). And worst, it wasn't funny.

Stewart is very smart and very funny and while he can be vicious he's never mean. And although clearly liberal, he gives it to Democrats just as hard as Republicans when called for.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Oh! My Sea Captain!

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 04:10:41 PM »

You can still catch the car-wrecks that are "Red Eye" and "Fox and Friends"

You can't help but feel mortified for these people. They look uncomfortable in their own skins. I sometimes picture M-16 wielding, black-clad mercenaries off camera, ready to strike if the hosts slip up. I love the Fox News Channel. It give me what I get from watching "The Office" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm", but at lethal levels.
Tell her she's beautiful, roll the world over...

Larrchild

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 04:21:11 PM »

Brighter colors, shorter skirts, louder, more frequent whooshes.
Rinse and repeat.

The Fox News Formula.
Larry Janus

el duderino

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 04:25:26 PM »

wish i could have seen it.

one of the most true things ive heard about fox news was just last week. The heads of discovery channel, tivo, and comcast referred to it as "an advocacy group". pretty much hit the nail on the head i thought.

Larrchild

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 12:55:57 AM »

They did some studies on Fox's viewer's mistrust of the MSM or "Mainstream Media".. also referred to as the "Drive-By Media" by the shrieking midgets of AM talk radio.

The idea that you can get a group of people to distrust 98 percent of the world's esteemed news-gathering services to believe a tarty, whooshing Rupert Murdoch-based product instead, is at once, both incredulous and unsettling. but it's the case. They have them believing all the other news is lying.

That is so dangerous.

I think they are having problems selling this bullshit lately though. Their numbers are weak.
They don't have that 2:1 thing goin like before.
http://mediabistro.com/tvnewser/

Thank God.

Larry Janus

Andy Peters

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 02:12:02 PM »

rnicklaus wrote on Wed, 15 August 2007 13:08

One of the problems is that Stewart and Colbert are on COMEDY CENTRAL.  They are FUNNY yet biting.

And Stewart really chewed up the guy who wrote the Cheney biography.  And he did it, not by raising his voice or cutting off the guy's mic, but rather by just presenting what Cheney himself said in 1994 regarding the first Gulf war and by pointing out the contradictions.

The poor guy's head was going to explode. Of course, he deserves it for carrying Cheney's water.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

PRobb

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 03:26:50 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Fri, 17 August 2007 14:12

rnicklaus wrote on Wed, 15 August 2007 13:08

And Stewart really chewed up the guy who wrote the Cheney biography.  And he did it, not by raising his voice or cutting off the guy's mic, but rather by just presenting what Cheney himself said in 1994 regarding the first Gulf war and by pointing out the contradictions.

The poor guy's head was going to explode. Of course, he deserves it for carrying Cheney's water.

-a

Actually my biggest complaint with the Daily Show is that Stewart is afraid to take serious interviews seriously. He's really a very good interviewer. Ha asks hard questions and then follows up if the response is evasive. And not confrontationaly. Just a good interview.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.