R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The New ADK A-6 Condenser Microphone  (Read 86002 times)

compasspnt

Re: The New ADK A-6 Condenser Microphone
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2007, 05:20:53 PM »

Nor have I heard any yet, and probably won't have time for a while.  Go Harvey!

Larry Villella

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »

REF - ROCK AND ROLL VERSION VS. HORN-FRIENDLY VERSION

We intend to have a both REED and Brass Players weigh in on this continuing "Gamma-Testing".  

Every artist needs their own paintbrush is one of our pet theories.

If we can find a 'color' that makes our Sax and Trumpet players
both happy, we'll probably create a whole new product.  

Make it "Brass Colored" or whatever. Maybe call it the S-7B.

In the end, you might find a way to optimize this HIGH SPL Platform to
Be Source Specific - Guitar Amp Version / Drum Version / Sax / Trumpet / The mind reels . . . . . .

Or - you can take the Swiss Army Mic Approach and see if you can
find the Primary Colors that fit a Wide Assortment of Sources.

I would surmise that we can cover Most Horns with One Color
And that we can cover Most Drums and Cabs with Another.

Yet we're open-minded if this turns out not to be the case!!

We are bench-testing three darker shades of S-7 at this moment.

We'll pick two of them and send pairs out to Joshua Redman,
Bill Evans, Don Harris, Spyro Gyra, et al. So Expect Tracks!!!

If Trumpet Man wants to be part of this test, and you guys want
to round-robin these prototypes, that's what we call the fun of it!

At ADK we call it "Fine-Tuning The Paintbrush".

My friends call it a touch of insanity,
or a bad marketing-plan, or monomania.

Audio Veritas in an MP3 world? He's nuts!!!!

We call it working on beefing up our friends' toolboxes . . .  

We're grateful for everyone's candid comments and constuctive criticism of ANY ADK Product.  

Larry J. Villella, Founder, ADK Microphones

SingSing

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »

hargerst wrote on Sun, 14 October 2007 17:50

Alex has used both mics now.  I'll get some preliminary impressions from him today.  I haven't heard them yet.

Perhaps Alex would let us hear some of his tracks?   Embarassed

Perhaps he used other more wellknown mics on the same source so we could A/B?   Embarassed  Embarassed

All the best,

Stefan
SingSing

Trumpetman2

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2007, 09:14:09 PM »

This has been going on for about four months now....and seems like no one has actually tried these mics and/or is actually coming up with an opinion on these mics....meanwhile, I went ahead and bought a Telefunken RFT AK-47 about 3 weeks ago....so, not really interested in the ADKs anymore....great marketing Larry...! Laughing

organica

« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2007, 12:29:43 PM »

If you guys pull this together , I would love a shot a trying both of them here .

hargerst

« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 20:14

This has been going on for about four months now....and seems like no one has actually tried these mics and/or is actually coming up with an opinion on these mics....meanwhile, I went ahead and bought a Telefunken RFT AK-47 about 3 weeks ago....so, not really interested in the ADKs anymore....great marketing Larry...! Laughing

Look, when you send stuff for evaluation to a studio, it takes a while to find time to check it out.  In our case, we've been booked heavily for months.  It's not fair to groups (who are paying for an album) for us to play with mics on their time.

Testing mics takes time; we hafta set up several mics and try them on different sources.  It takes at least two people to evaluate a mic properly.  Now, when you consider that the manufacturer's reputation is at stake, you wanna make sure your test is as fair as possible.  

If I agree to test something, I wanna make sure I get it right.  And I wanna make sure the testing is complete, warts and all.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Galil

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2007, 04:04:07 PM »

The natives are getting restless . . .

I have to hand it to ADK.  Larry is getting microphones into the hands of Harvey and Terry.  He is willing to let the chips fall where they may.  Guys, I have not paid big bucks to get this review, and I am patient to use what I currently have and wait on further wisdom, which will be a gift.

If I can remind those who were around at the start of the year, ART received quite a bit of praise for a discontinued product and there was real excitement to see a review of a current piece.  Terry was willing to test it, but ART was not willing to risk a "Fletcher like" review (think Mackie/stick) and make it available.

It takes guts to solicit pro opinions.

Trumpetman2 does confuse me.  When he is unhappy with a sound, he buys a new microphone.  I thought that when you are unhappy with a  sound, you buy a new instrument.  Very Happy  

Galil

Trumpetman2

« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2007, 05:15:45 PM »

Trumpetman2 does confuse me.  When he is unhappy with a sound, he buys a new microphone.  I thought that when you are unhappy with a  sound, you buy a new instrument.  Very Happy  

Galil[/quote]

...you got me...!  I do have 25 trumpets after all!!!!  Didn't mean to come off as a P****, although I did, but I needed a decent condenser mic soon....so, I was in a rush...and as often happens, ended up spending a lot more than I had planned- $1600 on the Telefunken...I do like it though, and I guess if the ADK pans out as a good mic down the road, I might just buy that one too.... Very Happy

Jack Schitt

« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2007, 11:03:39 PM »

hargerst wrote on Wed, 24 October 2007 14:00

Trumpetman2 wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 20:14

Look, when you send stuff for evaluation to a studio, it takes a while to find time to check it out.  In our case, we've been booked heavily for months.  It's not fair to groups (who are paying for an album) for us to play with mics on their time.

Testing mics takes time; we hafta set up several mics and try them on different sources.  It takes at least two people to evaluate a mic properly.  Now, when you consider that the manufacturer's reputation is at stake, you wanna make sure your test is as fair as possible.  

If I agree to test something, I wanna make sure I get it right.  And I wanna make sure the testing is complete, warts and all.

I don't think he was complaining. He just had to make a decision and moved on.

Trumpetman2

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2007, 10:01:25 AM »

[/quote]

Thank you!  Someone understands..... Very Happy

Larry Villella

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2007, 01:21:54 AM »

UPDATE ON THE SEARCH FOR HIGH SPL MIC FOR BRASS AND REEDS

Kevin, our "Hot-Rod" Mic-Mechanic, has sent out four sets of 3 variations of the Model S-7.  

Production ADK S-7 is for drums, cabs, and screamo. We molded the mic to fit those primary uses.

And while the S-7 is already "Medium Dark" in color, the reed and brass players have always preferred
ribbon mics for Brass and U-47 for Reeds, both of which have little sonic information above 10k.

Harvey, correct me if I'm wrong, but both Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, all the sax players used
U-47 in the Rudy Van Gelder days.  Miles used Ribbons and U-47 at various times, right?

It is possible to TUNE the S-7 to be several shades "darker"

We created two Darker Shades of the S-7 for evaluation.

Chestnut Ale and Guiness if you like . . .

Some respected trumpet and sax players are expected to soon weigh in on their favorite
version, which - if there's enough interest - will become a Brass-Colored Horn Mic - the S-7B.  

High SPL for Rockers / High SPL for Horns.  Seems democratic to me!!!

Anyway - we build things at ADK to be application-specific.

Bad Marketing somebody's gonna tell me . .

As Miles once said:

So what ?

It only matters if YOU hear it.  Nobody else's ears matter!!!

Larry J. Villella, Founder, ADK Microphones

Trumpetman2

« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2007, 02:28:14 PM »

Very Happy Actually, Larry is being too modest....I am one of the trumpeters "testing" this microphone and will present my impressions later on....I can say this much now - This ADK S-7B has the most amazing tone I have heard on a condenser microphone!  I'll advance that I liked its tone more than my Telefunken AK-47's tone.......quite an accomplishment for a microphone that costs 1/5 the price of the Telefunken...! Smile

More later.....  

Galil

« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »

Trumpetman2 wrote:

Thank you! Someone understands.....

I think we all understand. . . . Smile

Just think of us as part of your 12 step group.  Hi, I'm Galil, and I buy microphones  Shocked

Trumpetman2 also wrote in response to me:

...you got me...! I do have 25 trumpets after all!!!!

Thanks.  You have no idea how helpful this is to me.  When my wife asks about why I need 7 electric bass guitars (all sound different to me, some neck through - some bolt on, some 4 string and others 5 string, some passive or active electronics, etc.), 2 acoustic guitars and 2 electric guitars, now I can mention a guy in Maryland who has 25 horns (presumably including trumpets, fluegelhorns, and cornets).  This provides great cover for my own gear habit.  Smile

Denny W. wrote:

I don't believe in americans with a recording habit who will never buy another $300 microphone.  Perhaps this is just has to do with knowing my own heart.  If ADK was making $5,000 microphones, I'd believe one was moving on.  However since that time, Trumpetman2 has reviewed the ADK and now has me wanting one.

Carry on.

Galil

Galil

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2008, 02:29:24 PM »

Hi!

Don't know if Harvey or Terry ever got a chance to test the ADK microphones in this thread, but I just wanted to see if either ended up having a report.

Still interested.

Galil

compasspnt

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2008, 01:24:29 PM »

Sorry G.

I keep meaning to, but A) I always am so busy, too many things are   always "getting in my way," and B) I couldn't ever decide which mic version to test...

T
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.