R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The New ADK A-6 Condenser Microphone  (Read 86037 times)

vegas4ever

Re: The New ADK A-6 Condenser Microphone
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 01:21:41 PM »

CHANCE wrote on Tue, 21 August 2007 08:17

vegas4ever wrote on Mon, 20 August 2007 11:21

ShakesTheClown wrote on Mon, 20 August 2007 13:13

I don't trust anyone who wants to sell me a 20' mic cable for $112.

Check this one out:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRGRSP

yeah, Im buying 3 pairs HAHHAHAH LOLOLOL

I have those same cables shown. Cardas used to be close to me in Upland and they gave me several different samples to try out. When I went to return them, I discovered that they moved out of state. I really couldn't justify spending that kind of $ for little or no improvement in sound quality

Funny story, I have;

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ANOV12

they were a gift from my "audiophile" uncle, there running my vintage Klipsch Heresys, sound good? maybe, any difference between them and the #10 generic cable I had? NO!

PS: I'll gave you $10 for your cables?
"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
David Brent

Larry Villella

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 09:42:18 AM »

I'm not sure what this thread is leading towards. . . .

My grandfather had the idea that he could make home-brew beer that tasted better than what you could buy in a store (by all accounts it did).  

In 1998 ADK Co-founder Brian Hutchison and I had an idea that we could build "home-brew" microphones that sounded as good as the famous brand-name mics. . . . Whatever your persuasion, the idea of trying to make audio better - by even the smallest increments - is a passion for some people.  

I am not a big fan of expensive cable, but I am a fan making every element of the signal chain as good as possible.  The Accusound Cables impress me, however.  I have A/B'd them with Gotham, and others, and they do seem to have a certain "open-ness" that I find appealing. Like most things analog, it is a subtle nuance, and not a slap-you-upside-the-head thing . . .

So - if you are happy with your cable, no worries. If you love your current mic collection, that's great !!  

If you want to try some new and scientifically better analog gear, that's ok, too.

I drove our Begian Designer nuts for the past three years to make some dramtic strides on the Microphone Side.  

Ref the ADK A6 - All we can ask is that folks have an open mind and "Think with Your Ears".

I don't often get in the forums and tout my new gear.  I usually let the equipment speak for itself.

I do believe these new Belgium-Deigned Mics are worth taking the time to audition !!!

Then you be the judge if our three years brewing up these new flavors was worth it!

Larry J. Villella, Founder, ADK Microphones

Ashermusic

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »

I simply am not going to buy anymore Chinese gear, no matter what a bargain it is,  until they get serious about using their influence on Sudan to stop what is happening in Darfur.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

vegas4ever

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 02:17:31 PM »

Ashermusic wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 12:01

I simply am not going to buy anymore Chinese gear, no matter what a bargain it is,  until they get serious about using their influence on Sudan to stop what is happening in Darfur.

http://ga6.org/campaign/china_embassy_petition/

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
David Brent

ShakesTheClown

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 05:21:59 PM »

I'm not saying that there is any reason to believe that the mic in question is not an incredible breakthrough in technology that is light years beyond anything else under $500.

Having purchased several microphones in that price range I have yet  to come across on as neutral and detail oriented as the one described in the first posters review, and I would certainly be inclined to purchase a pair if this were the case.

What I am saying is an open forum with respectable membership is not the place that I expect to be bombarded with "reviews" that are nothing more than thinly veiled commercials.

hargerst

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »

I agree that Cable Guy's review wasn't very helpful for the reasons I previously mentioned, but the A-6 may be a good deal if it lives up to the hype.  With a street price of under $200, I'd still like to hear it against some known entities.  The only really neutral sounding mics I've heard out of China so far are the MXL V77 (sadly discontinued) and maybe the Studio Projects B1 (but it's more for instruments than vocals).

Having said that about neutral mics, the ADK Hamburg is one of those great darker mics that does wonderful things on the right voice.  I applaud Larry for saying the new mic should speak for itself, but with smaller manufacturers, getting the word out about a new product can be costly, and the Internet is a good vehicle for advertising new products.  The word (good or bad) can be spread quickly on forums such as this.

But spreading the word should have some guidelines.  If possible, compare new products to other similar products in the same price range, or against a known standard.  Tell people what you think the product might be best suited for.  Tell people the downside.  What didn't it work well on?

If smaller manufacturers want to take advantage of this new communication medium (print advertising is getting outrageous), they ought to make a few products available for review by people who have a good reputation in Internet forums.  They can bypass the usual network of professional reviewers and go directly to the users.  Yes, at some point, they will need the professional reviews, but a review on the Internet is an economically viable way for a manufacturer to get the ball rolling on a new product.

And Larry (and J.P.), you're always welcome here to discuss your new products, but realize that most people will be more impressed by the tech details, design philosophy, and uses, than they will in hearing hype about a product you make.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Ashermusic

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 10:15:19 AM »

vegas4ever wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 19:17

Ashermusic wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 12:01

http://ga6.org/campaign/china_embassy_petition/

Thanks, I already did that.

Harvey, I am not trying to put you on the spot as I respect you greatly, but do you care to state your position on this?
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

Larry Villella

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 10:55:56 AM »

Thanks Harvey!

I didn't start this thread, a really well intentioned guy who builds Made in USA Accusound XLR Cable did.  

If he's (or I) aren't experienced in the protocols of posting, we'll certainly try to learn.

Long story short, I like his cables, and he likes our new mics.  I'd call that transparency, not conspiracy!!

The mandate for the A6 is simple - "if you had to be left on a desert island with a single mic" (under $300). the A6 is designed to cover the greatest amount of acoustic applications possible.

All the early Reviews and recent End-Users tell me the A6 exceeds expectations. So OK - I'm  proud of the Quartet of New Mics that JP has developed.  You can decide for yourself if that's hype or honest acclaim.

I typically say nothing online.  Once in a while I try to clarify something . . .  and usually wish that I hadn't !!!

Yet if you want comparisons, the A6 has 10dB more headroom than a U-87, and - so far - we've sold 300 A6 without a single return!

If you like the Hamburg Edition, the A6 is it's BIG Brother!!  

We've got a New factory (Not 797), a New capsule, New Belgian-Designed electronics. JP spent a month helping to set up the new factory (must have flown 15,000 miles!).  

At ADK we work diligently to try to make things sound better!

We can get Harvey an A6 and let him decide 'ears-on' as it were.

Until then, there's a review in September Recording Mag.

Thanks !!!

Trumpetman2

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »

Larry Villella wrote on Thu, 23 August 2007 10:55

Thanks Harvey!

I didn't start this thread, a really well intentioned guy who builds Made in USA Accusound XLR Cable did.  

If he's (or I) aren't experienced in the protocols of posting, we'll certainly try to learn.

Long story short, I like his cables, and he likes our new mics.  I'd call that transparency, not conspiracy!!

The mandate for the A6 is simple - "if you had to be left on a desert island with a single mic" (under $300). the A6 is designed to cover the greatest amount of acoustic applications possible.

All the early Reviews and recent End-Users tell me the A6 exceeds expectations. So OK - I'm  proud of the Quartet of New Mics that JP has developed.  You can decide for yourself if that's hype or honest acclaim.

I typically say nothing online.  Once in a while I try to clarify something . . .  and usually wish that I hadn't !!!

Yet if you want comparisons, the A6 has 10dB more headroom than a U-87, and - so far - we've sold 300 A6 without a single return!

If you like the Hamburg Edition, the A6 is it's BIG Brother!!  

We've got a New factory (Not 797), a New capsule, New Belgian-Designed electronics. JP spent a month helping to set up the new factory (must have flown 15,000 miles!).  

At ADK we work diligently to try to make things sound better!

We can get Harvey an A6 and let him decide 'ears-on' as it were.

Until then, there's a review in September Recording Mag.

Thanks !!!

SO,....is it great on TRUMPET!!!!?????

Larry Villella

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 02:22:37 PM »

The answer is I don't know yet. The S-7 is a more likely candidate.

We've been working with Don Harris, Harris Brother's Horns, who just finished the John Tropea album with Steve Gadd.  Don is currently testing the S-7 for Trumpet and I hope to hear soon.

My instincts tell me a two mic set-up with a Ribbon and an S-7 would be very interesting . . .

Trumpetman2

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »

Larry Villella wrote on Thu, 23 August 2007 14:22

The answer is I don't know yet. The S-7 is a more likely candidate.

We've been working with Don Harris, Harris Brother's Horns, who just finished the John Tropea album with Steve Gadd.  Don is currently testing the S-7 for Trumpet and I hope to hear soon.

My instincts tell me a two mic set-up with a Ribbon and an S-7 would be very interesting . . .

Larry:  Thanks....I'll stay tuned to see what he thinks of it...I had heard good things about the Hamburg, and this one might be even better.....? Smile

Trumpetman2

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 10:14:42 AM »

Sad Sadly, I'm noticing a trend in all these so called "help forums"- seems like everyone is quick to scold, criticize, ostracize, bitch and moan, there will be 8 pages of bantering back and forth about who is right and who is wrong; yet, when you ask a simple question, such as "is this mic good on trumpet;" there is never any kind of half-useful answer....so, what is the usefulness of these forums.....????? Shocked  

hargerst

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 11:05:44 AM »

Sadly, that's true, BUT, sometimes, we help.  It's a very subjective business, and the details often become very important.  Things like mic selection, placement and settings can change the sound drastically, so we're always looking for tips and tricks we can use to better our projects.

This forum has, as its premise, the idea that you can make very acceptable recordings without spending huge amounts of cash to do so. Klause's forum has a somewhat opposite view; Terry's forum is somewhere in the middle.  Perhaps if we take the best of each, and factor in our own unique situations, we will arrive at our own personal "truth".

For example, the sticky at the top of this forum doesn't contain any earth-shattering new revelations about microphones, but it (hopefully) will help people think about how a mic works and that will help them choose the right mic for the job.  

A few years ago, we had a spirited discussion about the role of mic preamps in the recording process, and we had a dozen of the major mic preamp designers here, discussing their preamp philosophy. It was an enlightening and historic thread.

And there's no simple answer as to what the best trumpet mic is for you, without hearing you play, in the room you're going to record in.  I can tell you some of the choices that have worked in the past for me, in my room, with the trumpet players I've recorded, but that's about it.  There's no one single perfect mic that works best for all trumpet players, just as there's no one perfect mic that will work every time on every singer.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

JP Gerard

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 03:46:10 PM »

CHANCE wrote on Sun, 19 August 2007 03:57

It could very well be an excellent mic. It's made by 797 audio which is one of only three QUALITY manufacturers in China.

And who told you that????? That's so fucking far for the truth it's laughable!!!
JP Gerard
-------------------------
_ADK ))) microphones
http://www.adkmic.com

CHANCE

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 06:52:07 PM »

Larry Villella wrote on Thu, 23 August 2007 07:55

We've got a New factory (Not 797), a New capsule, New Belgian-Designed electronics.

Thanks !!!

A few years ago, I purchased parts for my ADK mic, and when I recieved them, the 797 paperwork was still in the package

Later on I was purchasing mic parts (not for ADK) from them shortly after 797 was released from government control. I was in direct contact with several engineers on mic design.

Like Larry said ( after my post ) They've got a new factory. You will be happy to know "I stand corrected"
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.