R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TL Audio PA-2  (Read 16746 times)

lsimy

TL Audio PA-2
« on: April 27, 2004, 12:21:01 PM »

I'm noticing a ton of the old TL Audio PA-2 dual mic pre/DI units for sale and/or ebay. Anyone have the scoop on these ?? Are they any good as a mid to high level pre ??

Many thanks!!
Vinnie @ Little Simy
Alexandria, VA

j.hall

Re: TL Audio PA-2
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 10:03:40 PM »

no one knows anything about these units?

malice

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 07:17:58 AM »

TLA PA-2 ?????
don't know about this one

But if it is close to the PA-1...

I own one. Not great by any stretch of imagination, but not completely useless. It is very good on electric guitar. It is not very open sounding but it has interesting features (among them: it definitely add beef to the sound). Much more interesting than the rest of their line, especially the Ivory serie ...

You should not spend more than 400$ on this used ...

malice

Scotts

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 07:10:37 PM »

I too have a PA-1 (actually the HHB Classic 80 version) and find it useful. It's not a starved plate design so it's a step up from a lot of the other lines that TL makes. I've switched out all the stock tubes and used a pair of Telefunken EF86's and a quad of RCA Blackplate 5751's as replacements. Much better definiton and better sounding drive.

It sits in the rack with the Great River and Avalon and definitely provides a nice tube based alternative for the right mic and the right track.

Scott

malice

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 10:58:08 PM »

Scotts wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 01:10

I too have a PA-1 (actually the HHB Classic 80 version) and find it useful. It's not a starved plate design so it's a step up from a lot of the other lines that TL makes. I've switched out all the stock tubes and used a pair of Telefunken EF86's and a quad of RCA Blackplate 5751's as replacements. Much better definiton and better sounding drive.

It sits in the rack with the Great River and Avalon and definitely provides a nice tube based alternative for the right mic and the right track.

Scott

SOunds like a cool idea ...

Can I do this in the "blue" serie as well, can you pm me details ...

I'm not a tech so ...

malice

redwood

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 08:38:52 AM »

I have one. It is a hybrid circuit with a solid state front end and a tube back end (or middle?). Anyway it is *not* a starved plate design and actually sounds OK, better then the pres in the mackie board I was using at the time I bought it. It isn't especially noisy, but doesn't have a huge amount of gain so I find I don't use it as much on very quiet things or with ribbon mics. Sounds cool on electric guitars, bass amps and the like. The DI is pretty good too, warm sounding. The "peak" light is weird on these things, I ignore it. It has something to do with how hard the tube is being hit.

Anyway I've been slowly building & acquiring (Grace, Avalon) better pres so I'd probably part with it if anyone is interested. PM me.

jp

boheme6

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 01:14:07 PM »

I have one..
got it a long time ago (traded a Symetrix 528 for it) when I was using an old Tascam board, and it was a HUGE upgrade over the pres in that board.

It's not spectacular, but it's workable.. and for now, the best I've got (until I get that Pendulum!)

I may try to swap out the tubes in it.. interesting idea.
"-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 17 queries.