R/E/P > Whatever Works

I Love Lucy Psych 101.

(1/3) > >>

Fibes:
FWIW I've mentioned I Love Lucy psychology many times and some of you have expressed confusion about it's true meaning. Uh, it's all about giving people what they want and not what they ask for, it takes courage and a bit of sway to get it across. How does it relate to Ricky and Lucy? Imagine Ricky is going to the bar to blow off some steam, he knows Lucy wants to stay home and watch her favorite show on TV but if he mentions that he's going to the bar, the thought of being alone would convince Lucy to tag along. Ricky knows that both of them will ultimately be displeased with the results if she hangs with him and the guys so he employs a classic tactic in his ILLPsych back catalog. The red herring coupled with a bit of reverse psych. He askes her about her favorite show and what is happening tonite, she gives the requisite reply, he then adds a comment about the dress he bought her last week and how he can't wait to see her in it. He then asks her to go to the bar with him in her new dress because a friend of his has some Cubans and they are going to smoke and play cards. Lucy is suddenly opposed to going, it's her new dress, she hates cigars and by Mithra she really wants to wear that dress somewhere special and holy smokes, her favorite show is on. She then decides to stay home. If Ricky hadn't have used the ILLPsych technique 143 they would have both had a miserable time. How does this relate to record production? It's simple give them what they want and make it their idea.

Sure this may seem underhanded and childish but the more i work with solo artists the more i realize that they need direction to get what they want. They need to concentrate on writing and performing while thinking they are going after what they want, the invisible leash is important to everyone's happiness and satisfaction. This is afterall about what they want, not what you want but ultimately you have to have some balls, bravado and most importantly insight into the artist to get there.

Are these things that you wrestle with? Do svengali style artists usually buckle and ask you to hold their hand when you are alone and not under the influence of public ego?

Give them what they want not what they ask for, by any means necessary.

j.hall:
LUUUUUUCYYYYYY......

it might be a strange way of describing it, but i think your point is dead on

it's much easier to let the artist (mainly solo artists) think they thought of it, or they decided it at your suggestion, then it is to be seen as "pushy"

the thing about lucy is that she was always the "lost sheep" with out guidance.  MANY solo artists i work with are not lost, they just can't always articulate their thought in recording terms.

th flip side to your post is that, lucy always ended up breaking something, damaging property.....you know.

moral of the story, be a good shrink, but don't let them in the mic locker!!!

Fibes:
j.hall wrote on Tue, 27 April 2004 14:59
LUUUUUUCYYYYYY......

it might be a strange way of describing it, but i think your point is dead on

it's much easier to let the artist (mainly solo artists) think they thought of it, or they decided it at your suggestion, then it is to be seen as "pushy"

the thing about lucy is that she was always the "lost sheep" with out guidance.  MANY solo artists i work with are not lost, they just can't always articulate their thought in recording terms.

th flip side to your post is that, lucy always ended up breaking something, damaging property.....you know.

moral of the story, be a good shrink, but don't let them in the mic locker!!!

So many views and one reply that is dead on. I swear my original post was written under the influence but I actually was watching my one year old when i wrote it. Same brain lock, different elixer.

Dealing with solo artists is a world apart from bands. the dynamic is completly different and can get very personal. Hell you can't make the bass player or the drummer the hate boy while you have your way with the vocalist. It is, for the most part, one on one. Ya' gotta be smart about it.

Keep all songwriters out of the mic closet, they often wonder where the 9v battery goes and it's an expensive fix.

j.hall:
for some reason, and with no effort of my own, i seem to get a lot of solo artist work....either a few people have big mouths, or i'm some sort of magnet......who knows

you're right though, bands vs. solo artist is like bringing a stick of butter to a gun fight.

i've worked with some that don't want anyone else in the room, EVER (this icludes assistants or any studio personnel) to the artists that have 25 different players coming in to play little overdubs here and there, like a revolving door.

to me, the key is to be the best friend of the artist, no matter who comes in, who doesn't come in, you have to be the guy they lean on, or you're screwed!!

IMHO.

i tend to play on most artists records and that crosses a whole different bridge......

one guy i had to lay tape on the floor in areas he was not allowed.

"you stay on this side of every taped off room, we have to stop breaking things."

Ross Hogarth:
I totally relate and agree. For years and years I have wondered if NARAS could see about us engineer/producer guys getting some kind of honorary psych degree since I feel more deserving than most true students of psych.
On a daily basis I use so many different tactics. I would be laying my nutsack out on the chopping block if I spoke in specifics BUT again, everyday no matter who the artist, I am digging into the bag of tricks to make sure the ship is on course.
I love the Rikki/Lucy analogy. and I like the fact you came up with your post while looking at your 1 year old. My boy is now 7 and he very often is more emotionally stable then many of the dudes I produce.

I use very often the analogy of being both the chef, the waiter,the busboy/dishwasher and the maitre'D in a fine restaurant.
In this restaurant you always get a window seat with no wait, when you order you get whatever is on the menu with very few "No's or No We can't " , a gourmet meal served hot, your wine glass stays always filled with no spills, and behind the scenes someone has to show up early and open up and someone has to stay late and clean up ... all with a good attitude of service with a smile .....

we follow the muse. It is not about us. whoever they are, if they are the creators , then it is our job to serve them ...kinda really no matter what ..stopping short of physical or really verbal abuse ... we take our lumps
I know this sounds suck shit kiss ass but I speak the truth
It is our job to show up with our Full Body Teflon Suit on and let the neurotic shit just run off our backs because it is not personal
the artist is just that ..an artist and all the great ones come wound and cut from very much the same molds ...some more skillful and tactful and better at their own people skills than others.
It is our job to use whatever we can conjure up and turn it around and make it like that wonderful fine dining experience

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version