R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you identify this micpre/attenuator from WWII?  (Read 3327 times)

oldtimeblues

Can you identify this micpre/attenuator from WWII?
« on: April 27, 2004, 10:32:03 AM »

Would anyone here happen to know what exactly the military was using in the days of WWII?

Quoted from my post on finding a new preamp with an old sound:

"I never quite knew the name of what was the most amazing piece of work. It was a military piece, combo preamp and attenuator.

When I used it people fell in love and were amazed! If was a 4 space blackface with a VU and 1 large knob and I think a toggle switch.
Like an idiot I sold it. Maybe the Fearn falls into this category. It also had a WWII military manual. In the back it had instructions on how to destroy the unit if the enemy was taking over.

It said to use rocks, grenades or anything you could get your hands on or drop in water if nearby or any method not to leave any parts functioning. I guess they didn't want the enemy to have the design."

Any idea? Westinghouse? RCA? Army?

iluvatar

Re: Can you identify this micpre/attenuator from WWII?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:54:01 AM »

Coincidentally, I was talking to a guy today who owns an all-wood filing cabinet that originally came from an army base. There's a small niche in the bottom for a thermite grenade, so that in a pinch, you can set off the thermite and torch the wooden cabinet and its contents.

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Minister of Public Enlightenment
Mercenary Audio

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

oldtimeblues

Re: Can you identify this micpre/attenuator from WWII?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 08:42:29 AM »

I guess the Army don't play games!  Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 16 queries.