R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker placement: 1/4 or 1/2 space use  (Read 3108 times)

resolectric

Speaker placement: 1/4 or 1/2 space use
« on: July 14, 2007, 10:25:29 AM »

In a Sentry 500 manual (Electro Voice studio monitor) i saw a definition i am not familiar with and so, would appreciate your help.

It says:
Quote:

The low-frequency response of the overall system can be adversely affected by poor placement of the monitor speakers themselves. The Sentry 500 was designed for 1/4 to 1/2 space use. This implies that the speaker system should be mounted as close as possible to floor/ceiling and/or wall surfaces.

I understand the info but what does "1/4" and "1/2" represent?

I understand these monitors shouldn't be soffit mounted, wich is great for me, but i'm lost with the numerical "space" values there.

gullfo

Re: Speaker placement: 1/4 or 1/2 space use
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 04:08:49 PM »

feel free to correct me if I have this wrong....

1/2 space effectively means "against a wall" while 1/4 space effectively means "in the corner".

this is derived from the "Pi space" descriptions typically used to define how the response of the speaker changes in proximity to its location to the boundaries of the room. 4Pi = free space and normal bass, 2Pi = against the wall (increased bass) (although soffit mounting seems like 2Pi its more complex than that...) Pi = in the corner, and Pi/2 (1/8 space) would be something like a tri-corner mounting - where 2 walls and a ceiling join (maximum bass boost/room mode excitation)
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

resolectric

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:49:51 AM »

That is extremely valuable information that i was completely unaware of.
Thankyou very much! Precious help.

jfrigo

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 12:29:09 AM »

For fellow techno-geeks...

Also represented by "D" for Directivity in some equations, to mean radiating into 1/2 space or 1/4 space etc. In other words, point sources radiate spherically, and if against the wall, only half of the sphere will will be able to propagate. In a corner, it can radiate into 1/4 space, and at the intersection of two walls and a ceiling (or floor), only 1/8 of the sphere expands into the room. This, of course, means that the radiation is directional, and not uniformly spherical in nature.

You can also use "Q" in the numerator for equations where "D"  is in the denominator as you can't have a fraction as part of a fraction (D=1/4=Q=4). You could also just convert the fraction to a decimal (1/4=.25) and leave it where it is. An example of this would be the Critical Distance equation:

rc = ?R/16?D    [rc = sq.root of R/16 pi D]
or
rc = ?QR/16?    [rc = sq.root of QR/16 pi]
where R is the Room Constant

(edit: oops, math symbols didn't come through! 1st "?" is sq. root, 2nd "?" is pi)

OK, that's enough geekiness for now.

resolectric

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 06:15:20 AM »

Well, that is valuable info indeed, though i confess it goes well behond my math capabilities, it was presented in a very clear form.
I appreciate it.
Thankyou all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.