R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Randall Isolation Speaker Cabs  (Read 3484 times)

Careful Collapse

Randall Isolation Speaker Cabs
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:59:29 PM »

Anyone have any experience with these?  They sound any good?  Reduce volume much?
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

don kerce

Re: Randall Isolation Speaker Cabs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 10:15:02 AM »

I've had one for a while. I like the idea of it, but the sound is a bit boxy for my tastes. I've used it for both bass and guitar. I had a discussion with an engineer about it last night and he had an interesting theory that I'll need to test. I've been using big amps turned up loud. Using 57's or LDC, depending on what I as trying to accomplish. He suggested using smaller, low wattage amps so there isn't so much air trying to move around in there.

Careful Collapse

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 03:39:33 PM »

Quote:

but the sound is a bit boxy for my tastes.
 That's what I was assuming :\

Thanks
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

Jack Schitt

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 07:39:41 AM »

I have one. I have found that you need to really think outside the box with them. A typical 57 does sound boxy. You will find its the same frequency the cab is resonating at. Being enclosed the mic really picks it up.

1)absolutely reduce volume. Less volume gets the cab resonating less.
2)use a hypercardoid/supercardiod pattern mic and get it right on the speaker. Replace the original speaker mount with whatever you need to do this. The cab was clearly laid out with a 57 in mind. It definitely seems to reduce the boxiness from the cab res a good bit. I like the e906. you can tweak the top end to taste. I  originally tried the 906 but I didn't always want the bright top end.
3) This is probably less important but I lined the entire interior of the box(both above and below the baffle) with 2" Auralex foam also. This also helps with cab resonance. Don't expect this to help with volume though.

roscoenyc

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 08:42:38 AM »

I've got the Randall and the Demeter ISO cabs.

The Randall is a pretty good deal.  They make a 10" which works very well for bass.
The Demeter has a door that opens on the front.  Have to mess with the hardware to keep in from rattling.   They both work better with lower wattage amps (after all, it is only one speaker)  Speaker and mic choice makes a big difference in taming the boxy  sound.  I've got a Jensen bluebell alnico 12" in the Demeter.  409 seems to be the best mic for the box.  I wouldn't use it for a 'featured guitar part' but it is great as an extra ISO when tracking a full band.
A part is a mistake played twice

roscoenyc

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 08:09:36 PM »

ok,
responding to my own post.

After thinking about the ISO cab this morning I went in and messed with it.
by using the Dr Z Trainwreck attenuator and bringing the volume way down in the box itself I got the best results ever from the box.  No boxiness at all.  Actually a very good guitar tone.  I forgot I had the Trainwreck attenuator.

Good gadget.
A part is a mistake played twice

Michael Nielsen

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »

They reduce the volume ALOT!!!

There still is some low end rumble, but it's usable.  I used to use mine with a Dual Recto in an apt at 1:00 am, and no one ever complained.  The volume would have been enough for the whole neighborhood to call the cops.

Sound-wise, it's good.  Not as nice as a proper cab, but faaaaaaaar better than any cab simulator or POD type device.  The recto has so much lows, that it sometimes was challenging to record properly.  I ended up adding a bit of foam in the cavity behind the speaker to dampen the resonance a bit.  Now it's much better.  

I've used the cab with a Recto, Blackface Bassman, and a VHT Deliverance, and have gotten some great tones, it just takes a little more EQ than normal.

I highly recommend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.