R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAD trion 7000 opinions  (Read 3840 times)

zeppe

CAD trion 7000 opinions
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:04:50 AM »

I'm looking to get a semi-decent ribbon mic for guitar cabs and brass. Have had a couple of ribbons at this stage, T-bone RB500 and Oktava ML-52-01 but they were way too dark and distorted easily(not in a nice way!).

The Trion 7000 seems to be getting good reviews, is in my price range and I can get it for $160. Anybody out there using this mic? I'd appreciate any opinions.

thanks

Cormac

My studio
http://www.myspace.com/thejutefactory

Fletcher

Re: CAD trion 7000 opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 02:21:22 PM »

I don't know what they go for... but... the Beyer M-160 is one of the best and most versatile ribbon mics out there.  I haven't heard the CAD [or any of the other Chinese ribbon mics] but that Beyer is pretty damn amazing.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

zeppe

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 04:53:20 AM »

Yeah, I've heard good things about the Beyers. Just a tad off my budget, about 500Euro over here. I've already bust my credit card buying a Langevin DVC this month. Dont think I can just justify another big gear purchase...Hmmmmmmmm

Trumpetman2

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 08:15:48 AM »

Fletcher:  Sorry for "highjacking" this thread but I keep hearing experienced and proven AEs like yourself praise the Beyer M-160 and the 130, but my experience with them has not been good.  I've owned these for the past 5 years and I can't get them to do the trumpet sound I am searching....I have actually had more luck with  the inexpensive and lowly Cascade "Fat Head" ribbon ($199).

My chain is a Great River M-1 NV (the one channel job...) and I am going to a Tascam DA-38; sometimes thru an Audioarts Engineering vintage compressor.  IMHO, I can get a more "realistic" trumpet sound from the Cascade than I can from the Beyer....the Beyer sounds thin and feeble.  So, two questions:  Is the Beyer just NOT good for recording trumpets? or, am I using the wrong mic pre (although, I have tried the Beyer w/a variety of other mic pre flavors including a Ward-Beck 470D.....results are about the same).  What am I doing wrong?  Incidentally, I'm not a real AE, I'm mostly a trumpet player who has been recording at home for the past 10 years.

Oh, and I also read you really like the C&T "Naked Eye;" is it a similar sound to the Beyer?   Appreciate any guidance you can give me.

erikjamesmusic

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 12:54:13 AM »

here's a vote for the peluso r-14. its very nice - great on vocals, guitars, pretty much anything i put it on. paul mccartney's guitarist uses the trion7000 on his guitar cab live. i heard paul last year at MSG. guitar sounded fine.

Mane1234

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 02:39:30 AM »

I have a couple Trions and they seem to be working pretty well for what I've used them for and they were definitly a step up from my old Reslos, but I'm still saving up for a couple of Beyers too.  My two cents is buy what you can afford and use it until you can afford something else to compare it to.  It's all just another color on the palatte to me.  Nothing works great on everything every time.

zeppe

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 06:55:31 AM »

Thanks for the opinions guys. Yeah, I bit the bullet and bought the Trion. Got it for $160 which is great since I'm usin Euros! Should work well for what I want it for, primarily guitar cabs and some brass.  I'll post up samples when I get a chance to try it out.

Cormac

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.