R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: June Mix Mag  (Read 1962 times)

Mike Swanson

June Mix Mag
« on: July 29, 2007, 11:27:18 AM »

Hello All.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the June Mix article regarding room treatments, unless I missed it.

My question is regarding LEDE.

Most times I see on the internet a mixed bag of LEDE and DEDE styles of front and back wall treatments.

Does the size of the room determine how to treat the back wall (the wall the mix engineer has to his back) with reflective or absorptive treatments, or should variations of LEDE style always be applied?

Thanks
Mike Swanson

franman

Re: June Mix Mag
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 05:34:57 PM »

Mike,

Size of room definitely matters... the other major factor is in-wall vs. free standing monitors. Most of us today use an evolution of LEDE knows as RFZ (Reflection Free Zone).. The approach is keyed around controlling early first reflections from front, side walls and ceiling / floor.

Rear and front wall treatments in our designs are based on distance delta for speaker to listening and speaker - rear wall - listener. This will determine what type and how much diffusion we use. Base trapping in rear corners is typical.

Front wall treatments for in-wall speakers are basically a very rigid hard front wall that extends the baffle of the flush mounted speaker. There is a comprimise for any near field speakers...... Free standing only installations get much more reflection/refraction control at the front wall.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Mike Swanson

Re: June Mix Mag
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:05:29 PM »

Thanks for the response franman.

I have 2 sets of free standing monitors with sub 4ft from the front wall.

So the correct thing to do is install panels between the front wall and monitor to complete a reflection free zone at the front half of the room (what I have for now is, corners, ceiling, sides, all with 4" of 703 installed off the walls and ceiling).

The distance from the monitors to mix position is 4ft, I do walk around quite a bit when I get the balances close.
The distance from the monitors to the back wall and back to the mix position is 32ft.

Any insight/direction of proper treatment for the back wall of my room would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.