R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Your philosophy?  (Read 10151 times)

J-Texas

Re: Your philosophy?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 10:32:51 PM »

I want to go on what Juergen said.

Being "unplugged" and a "non-participant" is not why bands come to record with you.

If all they needed was someone to push play/record, they would have their buddy do it. It's BS man.

People come to you for a reason. Fibes said: "... mutual respect". A good ear. Albini's killer drums... whatever it is.

You are not transparent. If you are... you're not needed. Whatever, whatever... play the "naturalist" card. Go way out with your mixes... but be YOU.

If it's your attitude... good or bad. The way you set up and get that killer tone. You're easy going. You give pointers... you shut up and are diplomatic. Whatever it is that you do, that's what you do!

Everywhere I go... there I am!

Make me sound like Bonham... dude! You're not Bonham.

I love what Steve Albini did with that Nirvana record... dude. I'm not Steve Albini and I'm not going to try to be, but I can do (this) for you and I know that's why you like me and come to me to record you.

I follow in the words of Major Mike (are you there ground control? Is this thing on?)

CARE! Make this your last record... EP... demo! You might not be here tomorrow.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

j.hall

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 02:34:05 PM »

didn't read any replies on purpose

if i have to nail down a philosophy it would have to be something like this.

keep in mind though, that i truly believe that as i grow and gain experience so will my work habits and philosophies toward them.

i tell bands all the time that i will do whatever it is i feel necessary to bring the song out.  keep in mind that that only includes me.  i get to move on and make another record, but this one, is THEIR record and they have to live with it forever.  if there is something they want changed, or added or whatever, they need to speak up.  i will bend over bacwards to do what they want.  

i believe that music is art, and the artist should be honored at all times.  i also understand that i will inevitably add something (positive hopefully, but negative possibly) to the art.  i try to be respectful of that, while still trusting my instincts.

Juergen

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 07:11:06 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 25 July 2007 14:34

i believe that music is art, and the artist should be honored at all times.  i also understand that i will inevitably add something (positive hopefully, but negative possibly) to the art.  i try to be respectful of that, while still trusting my instincts.

Very nicely put.
Signature: The fakultative signature, which will appear with the soil of your reports

stevieeastend

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 05:10:55 PM »

I don´t know where I got this from (maybe from the PSW anyway), Trevor Horn quoted on this once:

A producer should produce hits. No hits can be produced by the band themself ... or something similar...

Capture the sound if there´s a sound. Produce a new sound if there´s no sound. Same with songs...

It should be great, or at least sound great.

cheers
St

wwittman

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 02:00:38 PM »

1) do the best I can
2) make the best RECORD I can
3) turn down those projects I don't think I can help
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

maxim

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »

trevor horn (allegedly) said:

"No hits can be produced by the band themself ... "

i guess that's why led zeppelin never had hits...

j.hall

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 10:06:58 PM »

can you honestly say that led zep suffered from self producing?

stevieeastend

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 07:22:23 AM »

Maybe just a little bit.... Wink

Fibes

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 02:50:04 PM »

It's funny.

Willie Dixon might...

While it's easy to list successful self-producing bands it's just as easy to list unsuccessful ones too.

That said, i'm adding that i shall treat each project on its own terms/merits.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j.hall

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »

Fibes wrote on Mon, 30 July 2007 13:50

That said, i'm adding that i shall treat each project on its own terms/merits.

indeed!

however, i'm primarily a mixer, so this doesn't enter my mind too much.

Ali Moniack

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 06:58:30 PM »

One size does not fit all. Vision is key.

I try to get a clear idea of what artists are shooting for first and foremost, this may be something obvious or it may be wildly individualistic. If they don't appear to be clear on this I see it as essential to start listing various options until we can narrow things down. This element of pre-production may take ten minutes or an hour or two. If someone is trying to express themselves musically it's good to have a sense of their vision.

I'll happily take whoever is present through every step of the practical process verbally as it happens, even when they don't quite understand initially what is happening. It's part of my "philosophy" to have every step understood and vetted by the client. By the time we're done they know considerably more about the process than they did when they walked in and have absolute confidence that they had as much control over things as possible. Sometimes people don't want to know - but I'll resolutely blather on as we're working anyway, and continually check that they like what's happening. Unsurprisingly, even the most un-technically minded musicians know when they hear something they like or dislike. It's often not a matter of right or wrong.

If someone makes a call which I think they might regret later I do feel compelled to offer my opinion at times, but I'll ultimately obey their instructions. I wouldn't like to be held accountable for NOT doing/saying something (as much as for doing something) by others or indeed my own conscience.

I guess my philosophy (if you'd call it that) is mutual understanding - I understand their goals/vision, they understand my/our process, everybody learns something and musical and sonic progress is made.

djwaudio

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »

I like to treat all my clients like rock stars, except the rock stars. They want to be treated like everyday folk and get down to business.

The philosophy is *gratitude* here. I like what I do and I like the people I meet in music. Simple.

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

0dbfs

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 10:44:58 AM »

1. Each project is unique.
2. Each session is unique.
3. Every band is unique.

4. Learn, Practice, Master, and continue to fine-tune and develop your workflow and technique.

5. Ditch #4 if there is a compelling reason and move into personally uncharted territory.

6. Teach, educate, and inform when called upon. Explaining the why helps everyone understand including yourself.

7. Allow yourself to be taught.

8. Allow yourself to listen like it is the first time.

-j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

Brian Kehew

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »

<<<
1) do the best I can
3) turn down those projects I don't think I can help>>>

Great stuff, best answer I've seen. However, I would offer one counter opinion to those who say to "do their best work" "work harder" "get the best sound" etc etc. I think we get lost in this CONTROL mindset. Examples of why I feel "best" is not an issue:

- I can get better kick drum sounds than ANY Motown record.
- Some great records have distortions or low vocals in the mix.
- Led Zeppelin/Beatles/Manowar - were they doing "their best" on ALL their songs? Nah. (Well, Manowar was.)

I think doing GOOD work and having fun is most important. Your 'good' may blow someone away - we constantly see this in popular music. I have no need/drive to excel, but I am good at things I do.

So, my philosphy is more "to push things in the direction that makes people like it more".
Relax and float downstream...

Fibes

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 12:02:44 PM »

Brian Kehew wrote on Sun, 05 August 2007 19:07

<<<
1) do the best I can
3) turn down those projects I don't think I can help>>>

Great stuff, best answer I've seen. However, I would offer one counter opinion to those who say to "do their best work" "work harder" "get the best sound" etc etc. I think we get lost in this CONTROL mindset. Examples of why I feel "best" is not an issue:

- I can get better kick drum sounds than ANY Motown record.
- Some great records have distortions or low vocals in the mix.
- Led Zeppelin/Beatles/Manowar - were they doing "their best" on ALL their songs? Nah. (Well, Manowar was.)

I think doing GOOD work and having fun is most important. Your 'good' may blow someone away - we constantly see this in popular music. I have no need/drive to excel, but I am good at things I do.

So, my philosphy is more "to push things in the direction that makes people like it more".

Brian,

Right on. Too many people go for great sounds when appropiate sounds would be well, more appropriate.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.