R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: tascam da-30 mk II service manual  (Read 47281 times)

radioeng7

Re: tascam da-30 mk II service manual
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 07:46:42 PM »

I have the Tascam DA-40 service manual. It uses the same belt.

radioeng7

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 09:32:41 PM »

I have found a much cheaper replacement belt from MCM electronics. Part # 42-1770 is less than a dollar and so far works great in my DA-40. The DA-40 and DA-30 have most of the same transport mechanisms. This belt is also known as Pioneer part PEB1072. Do NOT use the PRB SCY1.5 it is too thin.

opaudio

Re: Tascam DA-30 mk II transport error 1 - belt replacement fix
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »

Thank you for the great info on this thread!  

Many of us have wondered over the years of the Error 1 problem.  Just a quick note to USA owners of a quick fix while waiting for the proper belt from Teac/Tascam.  You can use an "O" ring as well from Lowes (plumbing department).  BrassCraft, part number 0535.  Anyone else: Any "O" ring with the dimensions of: 10mm I.D (13mm O.D) x 1mm OR 1.5mm Wall.  Hope this helps for the quick fix while waiting for parts.

Steve O'
O'Neill Productions, LLC
www.oneillproductions.com
Salt Lake City, Utah USA  
Steve O'
O'Neill Productions, LLC
www.oneillproductions.com
Salt Lake City, Utah  USA

zmix

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 03:28:11 PM »

This thread encouraged me to pull my old DA-30 out of hiding.  I recall error messages upon loading last I used it (10 years ago...?)  

Do any of these belt or O-ring remedies apply to the plain old DA-30?  I disassembled mine and saw a drive belt, and three small loading belts but didn't notice anyting as small as 10mm....

?

ssltech

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »

The DA-30 (MkI... though it was never marked 'MkI'... the one with three silver knobs, two of them friction-geared) used a very different transport... and it didn't use the same loading belt arrangement.

Check for head rotation (instead of being seized, which I've seen) as well as rotary encoder working correctly...

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

zmix

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 10:50:02 PM »

ssltech wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 17:08

The DA-30 (MkI... though it was never marked 'MkI'... the one with three silver knobs, two of them friction-geared) used a very different transport... and it didn't use the same loading belt arrangement.

Check for head rotation (instead of being seized, which I've seen) as well as rotary encoder working correctly...

Keith

Excellent, I shall.

ssltech

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 08:46:42 AM »

Oh, and I might have a DO-30MkI manual, it's been a while since I've looked on that shelf... I'll check to see if there's a list of error codes, if I do.

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

zmix

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 10:33:36 AM »

ssltech wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 17:08

Keith

I checked the drum and indeed there was stiction..!  When I rotate the drum by hand there is a slight 'papery' noise.. hmm.  I'll need to locate my archive of DATs to verify the error codes... (where did  I put those?)

ssltech

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »

Hmmmm, yes I think that's been one of the two things which I've seen more than once with them...

OF course nowadays, head replacement is really non-cost-effective...

Keith

Tom D

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 11:39:59 AM »

Hi all,

Went to use my DA-30mk2  this weekend for the first time in months.  The tape loaded in and played once.  The second tape loaded in and I got an "ERROR 2"  
Anyone have a clue?  Thanks in advance!

Tom Durso
First Bass Audio
Macomb, ILL

ssltech

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 05:19:16 PM »

..I think it might be 'irregular or unexpected drum rotation speed'... and my brain is telling me that Servo Error 04 may be capstan motor, but I'm not 100% positive, so remove the cover and visibly check for drum rotation, and capstan rotation also.

Correct capstan rotation can be confirmed by going into 'shuttle' mode and confirming that slow shuttle-forward/shuttle-backward is happening, since those are capstan & pinch-roller driven functions.

Make sure there's no tape being 'snagged' on the head drum; -it happens with cold tape, because condensation forms on it, and causes it to 'grab' at the surface of the spinning drum.

Keith

ssltech

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 05:24:35 PM »

...oh, and if anyone wants a DA-30MkII, I have one last one of my three PERFECT examples. -The other two have been snapped up, so I only have the one now, but if anyone wants one that can be GUARANTEED to be in full working condition, get in touch... this is the last one.

Of course, you can be assured of an EXCELLENT maintenance history, but I now no longer use DAT... even though I'll still be keeping one DAT player... an Uber-rare in-dash Sony DTX-10...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/In-car-DAT.jpg

Keith

dr neon

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 07:40:14 AM »

Hey Guys!

Firstly, I just wanna say thanks for this excellent thread!

My DA40 was recently stuck on Error 1 & wouldn't load or play.

After replacing the small belt with the MCM variety mentioned above, the machine will now load ok. Play,stop, and shuttle (forw&rev) all work ok.

However, FF and REWIND do not work . On pressing either FF or REW button, I can hear a motor spin up to a VERY high speed , but the spools dont move..  I can stop the motor spinning by pressing the stop key.

I have no service manual , so I'm not even sure which motor is responsible for FF/REW , but it does seem like something is maybe not engaging in the transmission somewhere, and when the motor is activated, it is just spinning, unloaded, at max speed.

Any thoughts on this, Anyone?  Is this still a loading belt issue, or does it sound like a problem elsewhere?

Many Thanks!

nEon.

ssltech

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 08:30:57 AM »

The FF/REW is handled by "Mickey Mouse".

...Seriously, there's a set of gears in there that looks like the Disney corporate 'Mickey Mouse' icon, with the large circle and the two little 'ears' on top.

It's located in between the two tape hubs, on the deck plate.

The larger toothed wheel (...let's call it a 'cog') is driven by a VERY small cog on the motor shaft, and it has two "ear" cogs attached to it. The set of three ('head' and 'ears') are all mounted on a 'slippy' post, which allows the whole head/ear assembly to 'lean' one way or the other.

When it 'leans' one way, one of the 'ears' meets the toothed part on one hub; when it 'leans' the other way, the OTHER ear drives the toothed part on the OTHER hub.

The motor spins fast, spins mickey's 'head' (and associated 'ears' and the idea is that the rotating friction (which provides an opposing force) causes the whole head/ear assembly to 'tilt' (or slip) towards the required hub.

Now...

Over time, the post/shaft on which the assembly 'slips' itself gets a little sticky/gummy, and the unit doesn't engage with either gear.

The repair itself is not too complicated...

...HOWEVER...

GETTING to the repair is a pain in the butt. -There are a lot of small, fiddly and delicate parts which have to be removed on most transports... I don't know the DA-40 intimately, but I'm basing all the above on the assumption that it works the same way as all the other TASCAM transports which I do have to work on...

I just looked at a DA-98HR which is open on my bench here, and it too uses the 'Mickey-Mouse' method of engaging fast wind.

The main 'head' is hidden under a dress-plate, but you can see the 'ears, and using a toothpick or something similarly non-scratching, you can wiggle them from side-to-side. THey should move VERY freely.

If they don't, the shaft needs the 'gum' cleaning off and then re-lubricating; it's a pain in the butt to get to, and there's the risk of losing some of the VERY tiny parts, like the little 'split-clips' on top of the shafts, or one of the infuriating little spring clips (the back-tensioning arm assembly has to be dismantled to get the plate off...)

So my suggestion would be to take a look to make sure that while you were changing the belt nothing untoward got lodged in without you noticing, but if it just feels sluggish and 'gummy', then I think it would need professional attention... which may cost more than the machine is worth.

-If you have an absolute need for a DAT machine in order to transfer archived material, I probably have one which you could have for a lot less than the cost of dismantling that transport... it might be the better option.

Take a look though, and if anything differs from my description, photograph it and let me see if anything else springs to mind.

Keith

dr neon

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »

Hey Keith..you're a star!

I gave mickey a wiggle with toothpick as you suggested.

Seemed to be quite freely moving...tried a DAT in there , and this time FF/REW worked properly. I did nothing else!

I can only assume that your assumption was correct about some fragment of dust etc getting in there during the repair period. The unit was sitting out for a few days waiting for a belt to arrive, with no lid on , just a plastic dust cover loosely over the top. Also , this FF/REW problem only appeared since opening her up...

Everything's running smooth now. I'll keep checking in the next few days and monitor how she behaves .

Many thanks again for that very useful explanation!

BTW: Love the in-car dat machine!

Cheers

nEon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.