R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: tascam da-30 mk II service manual  (Read 47280 times)

xonlocust

tascam da-30 mk II service manual
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:13:43 PM »

hello-

does anyone have the service manual for a tascam da-30 mkii?  i'm trying to sell mine, but it's giving me the error 01 (transport issue) code and i'd like to try and fix if possible, but not looking to sink much/any cash into it, as even working - they only fetch $150 or so.  but still it seems a shame to just toss.  i have the regular user manual which is useless as far as technical info goes.

the bit of research i've done (mostly from eddie ciletti's site) makes it seem like it's something to do with the ALPS transport.

http://www.tangible-technology.com/machines/repair_tips.html

thanks,
nk

ssltech

Re: tascam da-30 mk II service manual
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:31:20 PM »

Error code 01:

Yes I have the manual, but it's easier to tell you what to do:

open the tray, power down the unit, remove the top cover, remove the transport (4 screws and a few conectors... I think there's a long 'transport load spring' also...) then turn the transport over.

Looking at the bottom of the transport, there's a small, -no, make that tiny- black rubber drive belt which goed from a very small pulley to a rather larger pulley directly next to it...

That's the one. Buy more than one replacement (they're only a buck or two) and put a new one on. -then take the spare, and place it in a baggie and tape the baggie up inside the lid of the DA-30MkII... Put some sort of friendly note in there for the next time the new owner of the machine needs to replace the belt.

Oh... and send me a couple the belts will ya... -I NEVER seem to be able to have any around when I need them in a hurry! Wink

-Seriously, if you need part numbers etc. I can check when I get home (it's where my service manual is) and I'll go in on an order with you if you're ordering from them... -It'll save putting two orders in, after all.

Oh... I should add:

You're not looking for a BROKEN belt... what happens if these machines sit unused for a period is that the belt gets "used" to being in one position, and takes on that sort of "egg-shape". Then it gets a little bit loose.When eventually you try and load a tape, the small pulley spins, but the belt doesn't want to
'grab', and the larger pulley doesn't turn as it should... hence it throuws a loading error.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

xonlocust

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:44:32 PM »

if they're just a couple bucks each no problem - give me the part number and i'll buy you some for the help!

ssltech

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 03:55:41 PM »

I'll look 'em up when I get home tonight, and maybe scan the exploded diagram to show where they go...

Presumably when it's trying to load, you're hearing a motor spinning faster than usual? or mabe slipping and "surging" in speed... -right?

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

xonlocust

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 04:22:12 PM »

i'll check again tonight, but here are the notes i made last nite:

what i'm seeing now is i power up, put in tape. press close, tape goes inside, then drops down while silver head rotates - protective shelf opens on DAT tape, tape spools out onto head and what look to the be tape lifters push the tape out away from the cassette - head rotates a while while machine tries to do something, but fails. the tension on the tape is nothing like a regular tape machine, in fact it appears to be slack almost.

it's been so long since i've used it i have no idea what usual or unusual would be.  but as the head rotates and it "tries to do something" i could see that maybe as slipping or surging.

xonlocust

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 09:20:02 PM »

well i'll be.

i took it apart and saw the small little gears and drive belt you're talking about and touched it with my finger, which was apparantly enough to unstick it.  everything seems to be working a.o.k. now.

i even got to hear something i recorded/played like 5 yrs ago. wow.  completely forgot doing that.

don't kill yourself scanning if you haven't already!!

thanks much,
nick

ssltech

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 09:38:16 PM »

Okay, I won't scan the page, but I do have the part number for you; (see later).

Pop the belt off... you'll see that it doesn't sit "circular"... It's Egg-shaped. It needs replacement because it will slip one time while you're trying to UNload a valuable DAT, and the tape will chew because it didn't get wound back into the shell before it was ejected...

Trust me... -it's like being able to SEE the future before it happens! Wink

The TASCAM part number is V00013500A [Belt, LDG].

I'd ALWAYS replace as soon as you get your first Error 01: Basically what you did when you 'nudged' it was to move the 'curved' part of the belt onto the smaller pulley. It's now a lottery as to when the two flat parts chance to end up either side, so that the belt is once again in the same orientation that it sat in for a long time... at that point, if there's a tape inside the machine, you're looking at a strong possibility of a shredded tape on eject... Since it's such a cheap fix, it's madness to play 'Russian Roulette' with valuable old tapes (with no backups, I'll bet!) so I usually replace them on sight... To the point where I have two machines here that I need new belts for, and no belts left... and I bought ten belts last time!!!

So enjoy the machine AT YOUR PERIL... if you're ejecting a tape, PLEASE wind to a spot on the tape where there's LOTS of silence... I used to ALWAYS leave the first minute of a DAT blank and ALWAYS rewind completely before ejecting. People who eject in the middle of a song without first rewinding have only themselves to blame when the machine ruins the only copy that they have by chewing a tape on eject.

My motto was: "If it happens once to you, you have a chance to learn; -if it happens twice, you haven't learned anything!"

Keith

philnicholl

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:06:01 AM »

Hi Keith,

I'm very glad to have stumbled on this post.

I have two Tascam DA30 mk2 DAT machines. Both have had Error 01 before and I've sent them back to Tascam which was rather expensive. I'm also thinking of selling one of them now, but it has just thrown the Error 01 at me after a long period in storage.

Where is the best place to order the belts? Direct from Tascam UK, or is there a better third party supplier?

Thanks very much.

Phil

ssltech

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 04:48:38 PM »

Phil,

If you can find a place which sells rubber belts, then contact them and ask how they measure them to determine dimension (eg: circular diameter, folded linear length etc) then see if they have some belts which match the ones on your DA-30MkII. Don't forget that they're also square-section, and you may also possibly need to measure the section size.

Failing that, if you just remove the belt from one of them, then allow it to sit on your bench for a week or so, you may find that it returns from "egg-shaped" to circular. (not a permanent solution, but one which allows you to see the problem and confirm that replacing the belt once it's regained a circular 'memory')

Hope that helps. -Tascam USED to have a service place in Buckinghamshire, I think, in case you're near there.

Keith

philnicholl

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 09:57:14 AM »

Keith,

Thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly.

Panic Music near Cambridge seem to be the UK Tascam repair agents now. I've had dealings with them before and they are good, though whether they are prepared to supply belts for D.I.Y. repairs is another matter.

Teac UK Ltd. apparently, according to Google, still have a head office in Watford. I'll start my enquiries there and let you know how things develop.

Phil

James Perrett

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 08:40:50 AM »

Phil - CPC (www.cpc.co.uk) are usually a good place for generic drive belts. The only problem is that they have a 40 pound minimum order if you want to avoid their small order charge (which was 5 pounds when I last did a small order).

Cheers

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Sandy from Olympia

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 03:29:02 PM »

I wanted to thank you for this post.  It has helped me immensely.  I purchased a used Tascam DA-30 MkII with very few hours of use on it.  But I immediately got error 01 when loading a tape.  I followed your instructions about replacing the belt and it was very easy to do and fixed the problem.

By the way, I ordered the loading belt directly from Tascam (on 2/27/09).

You can reach them at 323-727-4840
The part number as listed on their invoice is: V00013500B
it is also listed as BELT, LDG DA-30MK2/DA-P1

I hope this helps anyone else dealing with this issue.

Sandy W.
Olympia, WA

ssltech

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 09:46:38 PM »

Ah. Looks like they've revised the part number because the suffix has changed from an 'A' to a 'B'.

Presumably this is because this part failing with the tedious predictability of an unloved season!

Happy to help. -at one time I had about fifty of these things to look after. -I still own a couple.

Keith

JSam

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »

I also found this thread interesting.

Seeing as I have a Tascam DA-40 DAT machine, does anyone know how similar the 30 and 40 models are?  I'm wondering if I should look into getting a few of these belts at some point.

Andreaux

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »

Thanks a million for this post. I just purchased a used but mint-looking condition DA-30 that I could not try on site because it was just brought in from the cold and I wouldn't turn it on without letting it heat up... Unfortunately I got really sad seeing that it won't recognise my tapes and throw an Error-01 message....
I saw this thread, got the cover off and the loading unit out, removed the small belt and gave it some hairdryer treatment to regain its normal shape... remounted the whole and it works like a charm...
At least I know what's causing the error and I'm going to order 1-2 belts right away.

Thanks again!!!

Gabriel
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.