R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer B67 Tape Transport Issue...where do I start to look?  (Read 18902 times)

snarfdude

Re: Studer B67 Tape Transport Issue...where do I start to look?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 08:46:38 PM »

Thanks Hans....the more clues I get as to what it might be, the better.....I'm almost convinced it's not a tape transport issue, but will check it eventually... like I said previously, there is a difference between the motor off switch being on, and off, if it was shorted, I would think there would be no difference. that board is pretty much all capacitors anyway, except for the power transistor. I'll probably pull them out in the next week or so, and see if I can get replacements.  

Han S.

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 07:10:24 PM »

Just swap the capacitors, they'll cost next to nothing. My B67 had similar problems and it turned out these capacitors were kind of blown.

After swapping them the machine runs like new.

ssltech

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 08:49:35 AM »

If they're the phase shift capacitors for a multiphase AC motor and they've gone low-value, then that sounds right. There'd still be a slight difference between edit mode and regular play, but the take-up wouldn't be right, and fast forward too.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

MagnetoSound

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 07:42:38 PM »

I fixed about half a dozen of these two or three years ago, and I think I remember a shorted cap (small value decoupling cap on the motherboard, IIRC).

This would be the board you're looking at when the machine is on it's back (or upside down on the trolley), that is perpendicular to the tape deck, I think, (It was ages ago...), with connectors plugged into it.

There are some fuses there too, possibly, that you might have missed.

Sorry I can't remember any better than that!

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

snarfdude

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 08:28:22 PM »

well, after getting some decent hex keys, I finally got the spool control board out easily..and off to the electronics shop tomorrow to order some parts. doing a brief test with a multimeter, they don't seem to be discharging or charging, it's sems like they may be open, that's testing with the them on the board. there's also what looks like a  ceramic resistor on the board which doesn't resist, so I'll try replacing that too. I'm thinking that board is the cause right now, it would make sense, but ultimately, it's trial and error...

ssltech

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 09:50:55 PM »

What's the marked value?

I wouldn't automatically expect that you could see "charging or discharging" with a meter...

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 02:06:57 PM »

Measuring components (capacitors, resistors) power off in circuit is not very accurate.
At least lift one end of the component but it's best to test it completely off the board (or out of the circuit) to determine its true condition.
This has been learned over years of troubleshooting, especially with intermittents.
If in doubt, sub it out with a new component of the proper value.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

snarfdude

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »

unfortunately, as I just reinstalled the PCB with new capacitors, the problem still remains. I might go back to the motor off switch, and pull it out to see if it's the problem, unless someone else can suggest something...the motor just floats...also, upon hitting the fast forward and rewind buttons, the takeup reel just spins on both. unless I have the tape control PCB wired wrong, I can't think of anything else.  good thing I made note of the wire scheme before I pulled everything out, as the manual I have is wrong for some of the wires...if I wired accoridng to the manual, both take up and supply don't spin.

snarfdude

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »

the problem.....hans was close...not the capacitors......the power transistor connected to that board via wires.....thanks to hans for pointing me in the right direction though....a replacement is on order....but I confirmed this was the problem by swapping transistors with the supply reel...and it worked with no problem...

snarfdude

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »

as a followup to this thread, I have successfully fixed the machine. Thanks to all who have helped...

stugazz

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »

hi i have been reading this post and have a similar problem my b-67 will not engage the tape lowering machenism so when i rewind or fast forw. the tape drags on the heads can someone help   thanks

Starseed

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »

Hi everyone.

I changed the caps out to some good ones, and my issue persists. I had my hopes up...

My machine makes a loud buzzy noize when powered on, and stalls, no real action anywhere, no smoke, no movement.

Any ideas what to do *next*?

I still haven't really heard this little kitten purr.

It is a MKI model, btw.

Jeremy Starseed - www.MothershipMastering.com
----------------------------------------------------
"We're not dropping out here, we're infiltrating and taking over" Terence McKenna

Starseed

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 07:01:24 AM »

Or anyone who knows where to turn with this inquiry?
Jeremy Starseed - www.MothershipMastering.com
----------------------------------------------------
"We're not dropping out here, we're infiltrating and taking over" Terence McKenna
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 22 queries.