R/E/P > Fletcher

A Designs MP-2 or Pendulum MDP-1 for 60's solo acoustic blues? Mics?

(1/2) > >>

oldtimeblues:
I'm trying to decide on a preamp for "SOLO" acoustic/vox blues and narrowed down my choice to the A Designs MP-2 or the Pendulum MDP-1 and now the Fearn.

I'd like to save some money and go with the A Designs. The Pendulum seems to offer some cool features. I don't mind a AD MP-2 basic unit. My main interest is the right sound for my application. I'm looking for more of a 1960's solo acoustic blues revival type of sound.

Which would you choose for this application?

I'm also looking into a Neumann U-47 type mic (on a budget) and either the AEA R44 or a Coles 4038.

sdelsolray:
Haven't heard the A Designs MP-2, but I do have the Pendulum, and I use it for recording solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar, including some blues and ragtime.  It's a magnificent pre, perhaps too nice for your application.  Feltcher has heard both, so listen to his comments.  The Pendulum is hi-fi, quite euphonic, that's what I mean by being perhaps "too nice".

You may wish to consider the DW Fearn pre.  It's a little more faithful to '60's tube designs (whatever that means).  Note there's a price increase coming up May 1st for the DW Fearn stuff.  There's a used single channel DW Fearn at Tidepoolaudio.com for $1,600.

Manley might be considered too.

Nonetheless, the Pendulum MDP-1A is an incredible piece.  You might want to talk to Greg at Pendulum about the MDP-1B, which uses a different input transformer with a more forward midrange.

oldtimeblues:
Thanks for the tips! I just checked the Fearn at Mercenary and the specs are impresive.

I'd be interest in Fletcher's and others ideas on this subject and which preamp may be best for me.

mardyk:
Hi,
I have the A-Designs MP2 and I have to say that it's great on acoustic guitars and vocals. It's quite clean with some warmth. Not really down and dirty but rather full and in your face. Amazing value IMO.

lucey:
mardyk wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 14:58
Hi,
I have the A-Designs MP2 and I have to say that it's great on acoustic guitars and vocals. It's quite clean with some warmth. Not really down and dirty but rather full and in your face. Amazing value IMO.

I agree with 'clean and warm', yet not 'in your face'.  That would be one of many transformer pres in my book

I use the A-designs on OH and clean acoustic, some vocal.

Great pre, in the tube world it's clean but not as thin and fast as Manley, not as much color as a Fearn or as toob-ey nasty as a UA.

Yet are you sure you want a "tube" sound?  I prefer the GTQ2 for fingerstyle, more in your face and an older sound that makes the attacks jump out.  

I can post a link to a National Steel 2 mic (R84, 609Silver) tune throug the GTQ2 if you want?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version