R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: imp13 discussion  (Read 38030 times)

pg666

Re: imp13 discussion
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2007, 11:52:50 AM »

Quote:

This is what punk was AGAINST.

i can't really agree. this stuff has more in common with the inspired amateurism of the new york dolls, ramones, sex pistols than modern Green Day mall punk stuff.

i don't really care what genre it is though.

garret

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2007, 11:57:17 AM »

pg666 wrote on Mon, 23 July 2007 11:52

i don't really care what genre it is though.

Yup... honestly it's all blurred together now.

Bottom line is, this track rocks, and it was fun to work with.

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

Ryan Alfred

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2007, 11:57:42 AM »

The official lyrics:

Oooh
OooOOh
OOooOOH
Oh
OOhh
oh
OOOoOOh

YEeeEEEEEEeeEEEEAAaaAAH

You gonna scratch that itch
Until you twitch and bleed ?
Believe me, I know exactly what it means to need

I said you're gonna wake up a ghost
She said I'd rather be comatose

You gonna scratch that itch
Until you twitch and bleed ?
Believe me, I know exactly what it means to need
Yeah, uh huh

I said you're gonna wake up a ghost
She said I'd rather be comatose
And if it's down you're gonna go
Well it's the only way I know

She's feelin so low
I won't let you go, I won't let you go
She's feelin so low
YEHAhaHAhAHah UH UH UH
Oh OhH OH
She's feelin so low

Baddo

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »

garret wrote on Mon, 23 July 2007 10:57

...Bottom line is, this track rocks, and it was fun to work with.

Yep, I second that.
-Baddo

M Carter

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »

I'm glad everyone had fun with this, I didn't know what kind of reaction to expect to this stuff.  I haven't dug into the mixes yet, but I will probably tonight or tomorrow .  

I was torn between using the original 20 minute mix we did a few years ago and using the mix I did finished this morning, and decided that I liked the new vocal mix better...

I also (with J.'s permission) invited Ryan to come comment on the mixes too, this ought to be fun.

And for anyone curious, the bands name is S H I T C O P T E R.  Don't open their myspace at work.

Matt
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

pg666

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2007, 08:52:32 PM »

i did some critiques over dinner. i'm not gonna have any spare time for the next week so i figured now is the time. sorry if it reads like gibberish; it was a write-as-you-go type thing..

jhall: solid modern rock drum sound w/ tasteful reverb, nice! not really diggin' the stereo-to-mono bass stuff though (and the stereo parts are too 'woofy' for me). why no Mack vocals, even if only for the chorus parts? drum edits in the bridge sound awkward.

ATOR: i like the fuzz idea on the bass amp, but it's a little zingy. yikes! what's up with that snare? 808?? the distorted vocals are cool though. interesting effect in the bass break; it certainly fits this more 'industrial' interpretation.

garret: bass is too loud/drums are too quiet, and the bass stereo reverb is totally clashing with the dry drums. i could stand a little more vocals. i think the vocal panning could be more aggressive; middle or nearly all the way to the sides i say.

macbraddy: bass amp tone sounds great, the DI doesn't. the drums sound askew; too much overhead/room sound? odd compression too. certain snare hits are disappearing on me... and it came back for the bridge. hmmm, this one def. needs a bit more work.

J-Texas: bass sounds like its covered in mud in the intro/verses, but the distorted parts are pretty cool. snare sound is an improvement over the original but could be thicker. i like the vocals a lot. bass drum is a little conservative compared to everything else. nice roto-stereo bass at the end; how 70s! heh. this one is pretty strong overall, nice.

southboundloco: cool snare sound, it should be louder though.. and i really wish (along with the bass) it was centered. bass phaser is interesting but i'm not sure i'd do it for the whole tune. kick tone is a bit 'death metal' for this tune. i like the vocal delays in the break.

baddo: hehe, nice backward vocal intro! weird, unfitting McCartney-esque bass tone though, 'til it kicks in. snare sounds really thin/even more 'paper bag than the original. the break needed something to spice it up a bit. hmmm, not much else to say.

osumosan: bass is a little over the top, but i like the idea. drums sound huge! neat little Sepultura-like accents. cool vocal effect, but maybe a bit too drowned out. i like the long sustaining delays. i would have done a bit more drum editing during the bridge because the huge sample tones are clashing with each other on the sloppy hits. i like this one though; ambitious!

M_carter: i like the vocals, but they're way too loud. drums need some more treble/'air'. good bass sound, though i'd prefer it more centered (i'm starting to see a trend here. i think it's time to re-examine some Phil Spector recordings folks!). i wish Mack wasn't as buried in the mix. what's up with the lack of snare in the end? cool outro vocal effects! (ps.. i did go to the myspace page after all and liked that mix a bit more.)

Careful collapse: "i still got the goods man", hehe, nice inclusion! this mix sounds kinda sounds like mine so far, heh. weird bass in the versus; it keeps moving in and out. hehe, nice suprise vocal pauses! what's up with the bass mutes/weirdness? whoa, totally changes gears at the end... i would have used this sound for most of the song quite frankly.

scottoliphant: now that's some vocal distortion! quiet intro was a little dull. nice, reverby drum sound though! this mix is pretty rockin and actually making good use of the stereo bass! this one pretty much sounds finished, although i personally would have cleaned up some of the crucial downbeats. besides the limp intro, very good!!

I-Combs: the bass is a bit too Boss 'Metal Zone' for me. kinda weird drum mix... do i hear a cowbell sample?? nice vocal effects. mix is oddly scooped of midrange overall. too much cymbal pumping towards the end.

ChrisJ: too much canned verb on bass/vocals.. doesn't fit the mostly dry drum sound. odd sounding snare.  bass sounds weird when he goes up to the higher strings.

TomC: pretty good bass sound, drums sound dry and strange; are there no close mics in the mix? vocal effect is a little bizarre and that Mack scream comes out of nowhere (and never comes back..?). bass is overwhelming everything in the rockin' bridge.

Andrew Brierley: hehe, the vocal effect is a riot! i would have done something to the DI signal to make it sound less... DI signal.  drums could use some bottom (snare and bass drum). whoa, what just happened? oh, it's coming back... strange edit/fade-in.

Greg_Dixon: stereo bass needs a little more low end on the left side; it's lopsided as is. vocals maybe a tad loud in parts; needs compressed more. decent, if not extraordinary drum sound. the climax of the song (bridge) is anti-climatic.

maxim: whoa, somethings not right here... you need to check this out. glitches near the end.

Audio~geek: good snare/kick sounds.. not so great cymbals. bass is kinda weird too. i kinda like the vocals, it sounds like someone is being tortured in a bathroom, heh. good ideas here, it just needs balanced better (and the cymbal flutter/distortion needs fixin')

all for now..

Juergen

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2007, 11:13:22 PM »

M Carter wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 22:28

My cat surprisingly digs it too.  

same with my two cats who are taking a nap digging it.

My first thought (shit, download error, no guitars?) still nags me a bit. Seems like the download got cut off on the snare channel - at which point I thought this was a deliberate inclusion in this "round of challenge," so I download a second time.

"Damn, really no guitars on this one."

Once I was done, it doesn't bother me anymore.

A little sloppy playing, especially the drums...but it's all good!

This was fun!

juergen
Signature: The fakultative signature, which will appear with the soil of your reports

Juergen

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2007, 11:40:46 PM »

Crap, it seems it's not uploading...argh. Yousendit not working either...
Signature: The fakultative signature, which will appear with the soil of your reports

briefcasemanx

« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2007, 12:54:11 AM »

I uploaded mine and it wouldn't work, then uploaded again without spaces in the filename and it still wouldn't work.

J-Texas wrote on Thu, 19 July 2007 13:34

briefcasemanx wrote on Thu, 19 July 2007 12:22

in his newer projects does Ryan do cool vocal stuff like on the line "believe me I know exactly what it means to need"? If so I'm very interested in hearing it.

If he doesn't, you can always listen to a Korn record.

Hay thanx for the help! Now I am satisfied with my life!

homerecordingodyssey

« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2007, 02:37:05 AM »

pg666 wrote on Tue, 24 July 2007 10:52

Andrew Brierley: hehe, the vocal effect is a riot! i would have done something to the DI signal to make it sound less... DI signal.  drums could use some bottom (snare and bass drum). whoa, what just happened? oh, it's coming back... strange edit/fade-in.

I did the Strange edit fade in because I wanted it to sound like it was coming from far off in the distance so I faded from huge amounts of reverb back to some and from low volume to high at the same time.

No real purpose for it, just thought I would play with things I would never do in a "normal" track.

I have not listened to all the others yet, anyone else do anything strange for no real reason?

With this track I don't know that anything done to it can be considered strange considering the original material. Smile

Andrew

ATOR

« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2007, 04:52:39 AM »

PG666

ATOR: i like the fuzz idea on the bass amp, but it's a little zingy. yikes! what's up with that snare? 808?? the distorted vocals are cool though. interesting effect in the bass break; it certainly fits this more 'industrial' interpretation.

I fully agree. I fell in the 'need more zing' trap while in reality it was just my ears getting numb and tired. The snare kept coming out like this, it was either this big 707 80ties discosnare or a wet newspaper. I'm always struggling to get great snares with the attack, body, crack and ambience I like. I did add some snap form a sample but what you hear is 90% original.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

maxim

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2007, 05:57:10 AM »

brian wrote:

"whoa, somethings not right here... "

that's the point of this track innit?

M Carter

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2007, 09:51:38 AM »

I couldn't even imagine where guitars would play into something like this.  

The challenge for me on this one was to go back and have ample time to mix something that we originally did in a half an hour the day before releasing it (the original mix sessions are lost).   It's kind of like chasing your tail, since you have a version of the song already stuck in your head, and all this time to overthink the situation.  

I haven't had time to listen to all the mixes still, things have been pretty busy at work. I agree with PG666's comment about the drums on mine, they are pretty dark.  I like the level of the vocals after the first verse, but I think my bass could be louder through the whole mix.  My problem with IMP's is just never knowing when to stop, so I'll get something to a point that I like, and I keep dicking with it till I lose my place.

The ones I have heard turned out pretty interesting.  I'll try to dig into them soon.
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

pg666

« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »

maxim wrote on Tue, 24 July 2007 10:57

brian wrote:

"whoa, somethings not right here... "

that's the point of this track innit?

it was skipping all over the place at the end. maybe my download messed up somehow... dunno.

Juergen

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2007, 11:21:58 AM »

M Carter wrote on Tue, 24 July 2007 09:51

I couldn't even imagine where guitars would play into something like this.  

Hehe, there's prob a lot of diff opinions on who could put what where, but for the first few listens, I wished a guitar would just play along the same riffs as the bass, doubling it...

But then I sorta totally got used to just the bass being there.

Oh yeah, and that last part that repeats "i won't let you go" a few times, where the bass plays fifth's - what a sense of resolve hearing more than one note - that part alone makes it worth waiting for it (there's other reasons to keep listening to the tune, but this is a big one for me).

The song really grows on you.

Juergen
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.