R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: imp13 discussion  (Read 38031 times)

M Carter

Re: imp13 discussion
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2007, 01:35:07 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 11:34

M Carter wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 10:38

I don't want to say too much about the original approach until after the submissions come out...

Matt, you're about to blow your wad man! You can't wait to talk about it!  Very Happy

J. can't wait to show off his rockin mix... me too!

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!  Laughing

mildly ..... disturbed....

Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

spoon

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2007, 01:59:33 PM »

scottoliphant wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 10:22

Quote:

I was almost going to mix it (my style) and turn it in....but it would be so raw, I dont think it would have worked at all.
mix it your style! a band like this might come to you one day for YOUR take on their music, not just the "expected" treatment

I will have another listen tonight and see how it feels to me.  
I am fortunate enough to pick the (few) people I record with, but I understand your point (and one of the goals of IMP).

M Carter wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 10:38

I couldn't imagine trying to polish something like this up with samples and editing and what have you.  I guess it all kind of depends on your familiarity/comfort level with punk rockish type stuff.  I don't want to say too much about the original approach until after the submissions come out, but I'd definitely say that there's a certain amount of humor to be recognized in the song, if that helps anyone.

I thought I would be down for some punk-ish rock-ish, but I had trouble getting a line on this one (though this felt more speed-ish metal-ish to me).

Yeah, keeping the approach close to the chest would be fair since you are on the inside of this one. Smile

Cheers,
David

j.hall

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »

spoon wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 09:30

J I am curious.  I know you don't kiss and tell, but could at least tell me if you used samples?  You HAD to have, no?

sorry, only a few days left to find out.  my mix is SLAMMIN, that's all you'll get to know.

i did a stems mix of the rhythm section for you guys, but i left the vocal...cool?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Quote:

M Carter wrote:
I couldn't imagine trying to polish something like this up with samples and editing and what have you. I guess it all kind of depends on your familiarity/comfort level with punk rockish type stuff.

well, not to dig into the topic before we listen to mixes.  there is a HUGE divide between sloppy playing and punk rock.  don't preach to me about punk rock, i grew up riding a skate board listening to minor threat, rights of spring, agent oragne, the descendents.....blah blah blah

this is not "punk rock".  the song has tons of vibe and reminds me A LOT of the white stripes.

and nothing irritates me more then a sloppy band trying to pass it off as comedy.

it's cool to "just have fun"  but don't tell me i "don't get the joke" when you can't even come close to dropping a down beat together

Careful Collapse

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2007, 06:03:16 PM »

Quote:

Now I just need to tune the vocals....

lols
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

M Carter

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2007, 07:52:58 PM »

I don't think anyone preached, J., and I certainly never questioned your punk rock badge of honor.  No need to jump down my ethernet hub.

When we originally did this stuff, the band set a very strict 'no edits, no samples' rule.  They both knew damn well they couldn't play drums like a pro, and didn't want to pretend like they could.  I can understand that. They played a few packed shows around Brooklyn, sold off the couple of hundred CD's they pressed on their own, and then went on to pursue other, much less sloppily played ventures.  If nothing else, it was a reaction to over produced, over edited, sample heavy music, and as far as the band was concerned hit the nail on the head. (and it was an excuse to infiltrate a bunch of bed stuy hipster Pratt Institute girls)

That said, I can also understand where you're coming from.  However, I'm sure it's tough without any details of the band, its members, the initial intent of the project to understand where I'm coming from.  

But if it's not punk rock, what do you call it then?  

For those of you tuning the vox - i think it's in D Locrian.
Matt Carter
General Manager
(212) 564 8248

briefcasemanx

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2007, 08:55:34 PM »

The vocals are awesome, especially Ryans. He sounds like a skinny white Old Dirty Bastard in a few spots.

It sounds like Death From Above 1979 meets Blood Brothers meets The White Stripes, but way shittier than all those bands in an impossibly cool way.

Greg Dixon

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2007, 09:56:57 PM »

It makes me think of a slightly more demented Tom Waits...... and I like Tom Waits. I'm really enjoying this one. I didn't think I would.

J-Texas

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2007, 10:01:35 PM »

M Carter wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 11:34

I think it's "If I'm gonna wake up a ghost, then I'd rather be comatose".  If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure the song is about a drug addict. But.... with a sense... of humor.

I was really giving it the benefit of the doubt. My original thought was that it said: "man you gotta wake up the girls, I'd rather see camel toes."

j.hall wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 16:58

...i grew up riding a skate board listening to minor threat, rights of spring, agent oragne, the descendents.....blah blah blah

What about Black Flag, a-hole? LOL  Twisted Evil

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

J-Texas

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »

M Carter wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 18:52

They both knew damn well they couldn't play drums like a pro, and didn't want to pretend like they could.

Maybe that's the reason I never heard tom 1, 2, or 3!

If nothing else, it was a reaction to over produced, over edited, sample heavy music,

Well don't let 'em hear mine!

You kiddin'? Those vocals are priceless. The only questionable thing that was grating my eardrum like some fresh Parmesan was the "sing-y" little vocal in the bridge part. WAY off. Yet very scrumptious.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

M Carter

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2007, 10:18:17 PM »

J-Texas -

I wouldn't have been surprised if that ended up in there. I chose this song in particular because it was the only one that actually had lyrics.

Ryan is real psyched to hear the mixes when they're done.  I'm pretty intrigued too.  
Matt Carter
General Manager
(212) 564 8248

garret

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2007, 10:24:37 PM »

Lol.  Alright, I'll get right on it...  mine's gonna be the vlado boy band remix, so it's very important that it's all in tune.

J, I completely agree... to bring the rawk, you gotta hit the downbeat.  So I find a little editing of this one is in order.

But enough enough details about our treatments until the great unveiling.

Greg: The critics are mixed in this house... the three year old indeed hates it, but the 10 month old loves it.  

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

M Carter

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2007, 10:28:04 PM »

My cat surprisingly digs it too.  
Matt Carter
General Manager
(212) 564 8248

j.hall

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2007, 11:26:06 PM »

I don't think anyone preached, J., and I certainly never questioned your punk rock badge of honor.  No need to jump down my ethernet hub.

i climbed on a soap box, it wasn't personal, though it certainly seemed that way.

i worked with a really popular local band years ago that whenever anyone would criticise the band to the guitar player, he would ALWAYS say, "you just don't get the joke".  i finally asked him if he really thought people were supposed to "get it".  you're either tenacious D, or you're not.

honestly, i dig this "band".  i like how it's presented.  i just think with a couple nips and tucks it could go from something people blow off as amatuer to something people can't ignore.

did i edit my mix to flawless perfection.....hell no.  did i lock in the groove when needed while letting the tune be what it is.....hell yes.

sorry matt, didn't mean to gag your hub while attempting to swing a large d.....never mind, thanks for the tune!!!!!!!!!

M Carter

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2007, 12:42:24 AM »

J -

I can see how my statements could've been taken as soap boxy too.  I wasn't referring to slight edits, and I can see when it'd be called for in this tune.  Everytime I hear of sample replacement, thoughts race through my brain of awful sounding fallout boy drums where every single snare hit sounds just like the one before it.  I'm pretty sample non-savvy unless it's in the hip hop context.  

It might be because I've never had a good sample replacer, don't want to buy one, and refuse to steal one....

And I still can't bring myself to hit the scissor button in nuendo on this one..... that, I'll chalk up to personal attachment.
Matt Carter
General Manager
(212) 564 8248

pg666

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »

i decided to give this one a try (my first)! all the talk of 'noise' and 'metal' got my attention  Cool

i won't be using drum samples, but i will be calling upon its distant cousin: overblown room mics, heh heh..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.