R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down

Author Topic: imp13 discussion  (Read 38051 times)

j.hall

Re: imp13 discussion
« Reply #270 on: August 10, 2007, 09:28:21 PM »

it works really well.  well done!!!!

i still love the vibe you got.

chrisj

« Reply #271 on: August 11, 2007, 12:41:33 AM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 07 August 2007 15:17

ChrisJ

another really mid-rangey mix.  You like you some mids?.  If you opened up the frequencies this would have been a killer mix.  I still feel like you are too focused on details and losing the big picture while you mix.  On the next IMP, I want you to only use a ?normal? compressor and EQ.  let?s break it back down to some basics and build from there.  The vibe is cool.  The songs feels like it?s about to catch on fire.  We just need more then 300 ? 3k.

Sweet, glad I'm getting some of what I want within the context of my midranginess Wink

Can you remind me about the normal (logic??) compressor and (logic channel?) EQ? Do I get a verb? Do I get to use stuff like my 2-buss treatment or are we talkin' stock Logic plugs and nothing I sell? Also it's hard to know what to think about the middieness, I can hardly get even less extended monitoring. The 8" fullrange off-axis monitoring is just not making me put in super highs when I think they sound shitty. Maybe instead of having to use Logic stock plugs and so on, can I use my accustomed everything but we'll do a track that does NOT want to sound like Led Zeppelin II?

I might surprise you if you threw an IMP that was a Steely Dan vibe at me- or Eagles. This stuff we're getting is all rocked out. I can't stand extreme highs and lows on heavy rock stuff. Bass too low is bloated and sluggish, and treble too high is irritating and distracts from the guts of the song. Maybe I'll do a mix encased in a large blob of treacle, or wearing earplugs Smile

Seriously- tell me more and/or remind me about special instructions and/or pick something that's RIGHT to have lows and highs. I've done mixes before that sounded wrong on the 8": this time I worked mainly on it. You said the vibe was cool and it sounded like it was on fire. I'll sacrifice ANYTHING to achieve that effect on music that ought to have it. The question is whether it's that necessary- and what I do if there's music that clearly wants to be super widerange. It'd have to be very different music Smile

One thing about it, what I did is pretty Myspace-friendly Wink with that, all your highs are KILLED with extreme prejudice anyway. I just cut out a step  Laughing

j.hall

« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2007, 03:58:09 PM »

i just want you to try a mix or two without all the crazy plugs you have.  just bring it down to a simple EQ and compressor.  verb is fine, i just want to hear you simplify your approach and get an idea of what that does.

also, i don'trecommend changing your monitoring all the time.  stick with what you think sounds best and just learn it cold!

i'll look around for some thing "smoother" for IMP14

maxim

« Reply #273 on: August 11, 2007, 09:27:38 PM »

chris, it's true enough that when i listen to your mixes i HEAR a lot of your plugins

that shouldn't be the point of the mix

perhaps it's because you're excited to try them out, and they DO sound interesting, but i feel the song is getting lost behind the effects (not that i have a handle on it myself)

chrisj

« Reply #274 on: August 12, 2007, 04:57:57 PM »

That's fine- it would be a natural problem for me to be having. What comes to mind is- what if I use just say the Logic channel EQ or whatever, and it still sounds the way it's been sounding? If there's a target I 'should' be going for instead of what I keep aiming at, in particular if it's one where you 'shouldn't' hear any processing, what sort of music is that, how do I wrap my head around trying to hear that way?

I've got an okay handle on getting things to sound the way I hear them in my head, for an amateur, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding other ways I want things to sound. Maybe I'm just not listening to enough, or the same kinds of, music as other people are?

Or maybe it's just like what Slipperman called 'biggenation' in which you control everything to the Nth degree, and then go back and loosen it all up until the overcontrolledness is gone? The overcontrolledness helps you focus the exact direction you're going but then you soften it so it's just being NUDGED in that direction?

I'm interested in what the working mixologists do, as far as 'forcing stuff to go exactly the way you hear it, or being more gentle'. Seems I'm getting the hang of J's concept of using extremely forceful handling if you want it, and losing my fear of that, but then I turn around and it's getting a vibe but is too gratitious Smile

j.hall

« Reply #275 on: August 12, 2007, 05:20:54 PM »

chrisj wrote on Sun, 12 August 2007 15:57

That's fine- it would be a natural problem for me to be having. What comes to mind is- what if I use just say the Logic channel EQ or whatever, and it still sounds the way it's been sounding?

let's just slow down and wait to hear what it DOES sound like when you mix in a more "simple" way.

one step at a time!

M Carter

« Reply #276 on: August 13, 2007, 01:16:40 AM »

I'd be interested to know how many people did recalls for themselves, and what changes they made if so.
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

audio~geek

« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2007, 12:14:35 AM »

M Carter wrote on Mon, 13 August 2007 00:16

I'd be interested to know how many people did recalls for themselves, and what changes they made if so.

I'm going to do one this week.
more automation mostly, and easing up on the compression of course.

M Carter

« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2007, 09:24:17 PM »

I'm interested in what the working mixologists do, as far as 'forcing stuff to go exactly the way you hear it, or being more gentle'. Seems I'm getting the hang of J's concept of using extremely forceful handling if you want it, and losing my fear of that, but then I turn around and it's getting a vibe but is too gratitious Smile

there are definitely multiple schools of thought, as this thread/exercise has proven from the start.  Something that I heard once that rubbed off was "Over the years, I've realized that the more I mix, the less I do.  It seems kind of disrespectful to the sounds when you start getting in there and changing all types of shit to make it what YOU want", but that IS a rather old school approach, and the opposing view has it's arguments as well.    

Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

ryst

« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2007, 09:41:53 PM »

M Carter wrote on Mon, 13 August 2007 06:16

After multiple comments on my snare, I decided it was too loud.  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

And I fattened up the bass a bit and added a litle sheen to the OH's.
Nathan Schreier

"To obtain a man's opinion of you, make him mad."

J-Texas

« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2007, 09:52:27 PM »

ryst wrote on Tue, 14 August 2007 20:41

After multiple comments on my snare, I decided it was too loud.  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Are you SURE that everything else just wasn't too low?  Surprised
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

j.hall

« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2007, 11:17:05 PM »

M Carter wrote on Tue, 14 August 2007 20:24

there are definitely multiple schools of thought, as this thread/exercise has proven from the start.  Something that I heard once that rubbed off was "Over the years, I've realized that the more I mix, the less I do.  It seems kind of disrespectful to the sounds when you start getting in there and changing all types of shit to make it what YOU want", but that IS a rather old school approach, and the opposing view has it's arguments as well.    

i wouldn't call myself "forcefull"  i find myself working with mediocre to plain bad sounds an average amount (more then i'd like)  in this regard, i think it's fair to be "heavy handed" when combined with the client asking for something the tracks simply aren't.

what i'm trying to teach and stress with IMP is something i believe in.  sonic  vibe.  i like the mix itself to have a vibe.  the hard part is to marry a vibe to a song.  you want these things to work together.

it's a hard thing talk about.

anyway, try not to think of me as a "forceful" mixer.  that makes me feel too much like a dictator.  perhaps i am, i'm just not ready to deal with that......HA

ryst

« Reply #282 on: August 15, 2007, 12:31:42 AM »

J-Texas wrote on Wed, 15 August 2007 02:52

ryst wrote on Tue, 14 August 2007 20:41

Are you SURE that everything else just wasn't too low?  Surprised

Yeah, I tried that.  Didn't sound the same.  You were right the first time.  Not the second time.   Laughing
Nathan Schreier

ryst

« Reply #283 on: August 15, 2007, 12:34:06 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 15 August 2007 04:17

anyway, try not to think of me as a "forceful" mixer.  that makes me feel too much like a dictator.  perhaps i am, i'm just not ready to deal with that......HA

Castro was a forum moderator before taking over Cuba......
Nathan Schreier

j.hall

« Reply #284 on: August 15, 2007, 06:43:44 PM »

OOOFFF......that will leave a mark
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.