Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: saosin  (Read 3349 times)

j.hall

saosin
« on: August 25, 2007, 10:01:15 PM »

equal vision band.  i believe they are broken up.

i just got an EP of theirs.  it boreders on cliche "hard rock" that i can't stand.  but it's surprisingly intelligent.  worth a listen.

killer production.

WallyWest

Re: saosin
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 06:17:02 AM »

I've got a few E.P.s of theres, I can't say I've listened to them much to be honest. Not that they're bad, they always seemed like one of the better bands in that niche. I've just became really tired of that sound lately.

The only band that's came out of that scene that's excited me for a long time is Say Anything (if you can see past the singers over pronunciation). They aren't hard rock though. All guitars were done with a pod on their album too, which sounds pretty stellar. check them out, fun times.
Andy Gilson

forgetmeknots

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:29:06 AM »

Saosin is still together, and have a full length out which is self titled.  The EP "Translating the name", I believe features the old singer Anthony Green.  He now has a band called Circa Survive.  They're worth checking out too.  
Feed Your Head - Listen

beau

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 11:58:36 AM »

yes, the band is still together.  and i agree, since the ttn ep, there have been tons of crappy bands that make me not want to listen to this genre.

peace

beau
I'll take ape tit for 500.

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 03:37:02 PM »

forgetmeknots wrote on Sun, 26 August 2007 09:29

Saosin is still together, and have a full length out which is self titled.  The EP "Translating the name", I believe features the old singer Anthony Green.  He now has a band called Circa Survive.  They're worth checking out too.  

yeah, a friends band is on equal vision and i saw something about circa survive being "saosin's singer".  i assumed that meant saosin was no more.

they are on tour right now according to their myspace page.

i VERY RARELY listen to this genre.  being a bit older i missed the "enterance" of this style of music.

i'm now at the point where my clients are younger then me and referencing some of these bands (though not very often)

saosin was given to me (7 songs off the full length) from a client saying, "this is one of the few worthy listens in this genre"

thus far, i'd have to agree, but my experience is very limited.

speaking of circa survive, seems like the prog thing is really coming back in the shorter song avenue.

it's like concentrated mars volta without the jam sections.

my friends' band on equal vision is called Damiera and i can't help think they were very early adopters of this plunge back into prog.

circa survive being from the east coast and on the same label makes me wonder what their connection to damiera is.

fall of troy is another equal vision band worth a listen.

WallyWest

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 05:46:37 PM »

hey beau, are you beau burchell from saosin? If so, nice to meet you and i hope the tour is going good.

Speaking of Mars Volta, I almost feel ashamed that I've never listened to their stuff. After the drive in finished i bought the Sparta CD and settled there. I did see mars volta live at a festival once and their performance was 30 minutes of jamming.

J, hows the band sounding that gave you the saosin CD?
Andy Gilson

CHANCE

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 05:50:20 PM »

j.hall wrote on Sun, 26 August 2007 12:37

i'm now at the point where my clients are younger then me and referencing some of these bands (though not very often)

Don't ya just hate it when some of these young kids that are amazing with fresh ideas, and know what they want, come in to record ?  Maybe "hate it" is the wrong word, but sometimes I get jelous or envious, but these session tend to be very creative and interesting.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

j.hall

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 09:58:28 PM »

the band that gave me this i did an EP for a while back.  they are currently writing an LP that i'll produce, engineer and mix around the beginning of the year.

the band is called "Life In Jersey"  great band.  i believe they will get somewhere, where ever that might be.

really hard workers, and their singer writes some great songs!!!

anyway.  their guitar (that doesn't sing) is a beer snob in training.  he comes over here (my mix room is in my house) and we drink great beer and talk about various things all night.

i set his mac book up on my network so we can play our iTunes library and geek out about music.

we try to do beer night once a week, and he has about 120gig of music on his macbook.  so i have plenty to catch up on when he's here.

the one thing i've really noticed from these younger bands is that the digital revolution has bread a lot of opened minded artists.

when i was in high school, the whole indie rock thing was just being born out of the punk rock thing.

jawbox, drive like jehu, superchunk, slint, shudder to think, helmet, quicksand, fugazi...............

this was all new to the market.  and we were CLOSED MINDED.  if it had a major label imprint = it sucked!!!!

these kids today and their iTunes libraries blow me away.

they've got jimmi hendrix to saosin to slayer to peter gabriel.

it's coming out in their music too.

for once in a long time, i'm getting excited about where rock music is going.

colour revolt, manchester orchestra, mew, saosin, damiera......new ground is being explored again.

it might not be 100% original, but it's new perspective!

WallyWest

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 05:24:04 AM »

Good Beer? is there such a thing. My dad used to tell me i "have to get used to the taste". I've asked everyone i know to show me a good beer at some point. No winners yet. (cider man)

I just checked out the Life in Jersey on myspace, really good band. I love the stomp on skeletons. I'm sure I've already heard of them from AP magazine that my drummer gets, in like an unsigned section or something.

small world if my memory serves me.

Andy Gilson

Tomas Danko

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 05:52:08 AM »

WallyWest wrote on Mon, 27 August 2007 10:24

Good Beer? is there such a thing. My dad used to tell me i "have to get used to the taste". I've asked everyone i know to show me a good beer at some point. No winners yet. (cider man)

If you like dry cider I would suggest trying out some real tart and dry lambic beers from Belgium.

Cantillon Gueuze
Cantillon Ros
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

WallyWest

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 06:42:49 AM »

Tomas, After checking out the beers you suggested on the internet i came across this website called www.RateBeer.com

Your suggestions rated extremely high with 94%.

Fingers crossed i can find them in the UK

On the other hand i searched for Fosters,Carling etc and they got some of the lowest scores. Why on earth are they so popular if they taste so bad.
Andy Gilson

Tomas Danko

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 09:08:05 AM »

WallyWest wrote on Mon, 27 August 2007 11:42

Tomas, After checking out the beers you suggested on the internet i came across this website called www.RateBeer.com

Your suggestions rated extremely high with 94%.

Fingers crossed i can find them in the UK

On the other hand i searched for Fosters,Carling etc and they got some of the lowest scores. Why on earth are they so popular if they taste so bad.

Most people do not know what real beer is. They want something that is very easy to drink.

If you make a beer rich in taste and complexity, chances are some of people will think it's ok. If you dilute it, chances are more people will actually consider this drinkable. Keep diluting until most people in the world think they can drink it. It's only about business and not about good beer.

That's how it goes. Other times, one beer is made in different ways depending on where in the world it's being sold. Guinness for instance, IIRC there are like seventeen versions of it ranging anywhere from ca 4% to 8% abv.

However, once most people get to taste a better beer, perhaps made at a micro brewery by people who care for their product, as long as it's not way too different compared to their regular choice of brand, they tend to start looking for better beer.

This is a slowly progressing movement world wide, and I think it's great.

If a person likes bland beer such as the ones you mentioned above, there are still much better alternatives.

Cheers!
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.