R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft 600 series  (Read 7687 times)

joe bananas

Soundcraft 600 series
« on: May 21, 2004, 07:35:34 PM »

I'd like to know if anyone has comments to offer on this one.  We've been interested (down here in a little project studio) in mixing outside the DAW, preferably on something with more character and oomph than a Mackie or a low end A&H.  Fellow at the shop just finished a refurb on a 600 series board and would rather sell it to me cheap than bother to have a rentals case made for it.  Is this thing worth looking at?

hollywood_steve

Re: Soundcraft 600 series
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 11:04:44 PM »

IMHO, if all you are trying to do is improve the sound of your recording by using a console for summing instead of your computer, I don't think its worth the effort.  On the other hand, even if the console and the DAW sound exactly alike when summing audio, I would find working on a semi-full featured console like the 600 to be a huge improvement.  Real faders, one knob per function, massive amounts of I/O, a reasonably comprehensive master section......the physical act of mixing on this console is a few million percent more pleasant than mouse-mixing.  The 600 is no API, Neve or even Trident, but I spent a good amount of time on one and you can certainly get the job done using one of these, especially if you have a nice outboard collection.

But no, neither the Soundcraft 600, or any other console that costs less than a small house, is going to noticeably improve your audio signal compared to summing in your DAW.  I think folks are mixing analog for the wrong reason, I believe that you can get a good result either way, if you have great converters, top quality outboard, etc.  But the actual manual work of creating a mix is both pleasant and intuitive on a good desk.  It reminds me of accounting when done in the box.

(to be fully honest about my experiences, the 600 that I have done extensive work on had been given the full Audio Upgrades treatment.  According to the owner, all the modules, both input and master had been mod'd by Mr. Williams. I have worked on other, stock 600s but never more than a day or two for each.  So I can't really comment on a stock unit.)

John Ivan

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 11:40:18 PM »

I think folks can get good results either way too but, Mixing in the DAW and mixing through the 600 will sound NOTHING alike. You should be able to make a fine record in both cases but I have no dought that the two prints will sound very different.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

breathe

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 05:42:16 AM »

Horseshit.  I cannot describe the elation I felt when I first got it together to sum the outputs of my MixPlus+Apogee rig on a crappy Soundcraft 200B.  It was like I was suddenly able to make a real record after two years of suffering in the digital domain.  I've since sold the PT rig and am now squarely in an all analog studio (with a better mixer) except for the Benchmark and Masterlink on the back end.

Nicholas

hollywood_steve wrote on Fri, 21 May 2004 20:04

But no, neither the Soundcraft 600, or any other console that costs less than a small house, is going to noticeably improve your audio signal compared to summing in your DAW.

John Ivan

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 11:30:24 AM »

Yeah; My experience has been the same. Every time I mix in the box OR mix on a Mackie 8 buss dgital, I just can't seem to put it together. When I work on an analog console, things seem to happen quickly and my instincts kick in and I know where I am. It's a strange thing because I have friends who work totally digital and I like there records fine. Go figure..
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Seeker-Ian

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 01:57:35 PM »

I have a SC6000 that is very similar to the 600.

Before i upgraded, I was using a mackie 24-8 with a digi001 with all 18 outs mixed on the mackie. I just didnt feel it and wanted recall so i started mixing in the box.

then I got the 6000 and a TDM system with just a single 888. still mixed in the box.

the mixes sound OK, especially when i am PUSHING the master section. i just never realized this till the other day when i was tracking guitars and had to drive the L/R mix hard because i was monitoring the guitar off the input that it sounded good, actually kind of, dare i say "pleasant"?

BUT I WAS still bouncing to disk.

I have always attributed bad, sterile, etc mixes to my own deficiencies. I have NEVER blamed my gear.

but the mixes sound so much better in the studio. of course my speakers are NOT conected to my 888 so the sound of my consoles L/R bus and master section are playing a big role in the illusion I hear in the studio.

I had an obvious revelation the other day that I just didnt get before... that regardless of summing, my consoles circuitry even when passing the signal for monitoring (even with no gain changes) makes a big difference on my mixes.

I have since bought another 888/24 and plan on getting another. i do miss mixing like a human being again but I will miss my recallability.

unless of course i just leave my faders at unity all the time on the board.

doubt thats gonna work cause i love the eq's on the SC.

soooo..... I will be mixing outseide the box and when i do mix ITB for recallability, etc... I will RECORD the L/R mix instead of bouncing to disk.

not sure if there is any relevency to any of this but to answer your question about the SC.... yes, great board.

Studiojimi has a 600 too and he liked it but now he's ITB and says it's just a glorified monitor section and sound module mixer (something like that).

I love the pre's (compared to my rnp and mackie pre's which doesnt mean much) and the EQ kicks ass. the integrated patchbay and modularbility of the console is sweet too.

what else can I say. love the board. mine is 48 channels with 8 being stereo and I have 24 buses.

joe bananas

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 09:36:11 AM »

Hmm... That all makes for a variety of perspectives then; thanks volks.  Perhaps we'll try the big 'ol sucker out for a little while.  Better call the crane rental company...

Family Hoof

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 01:51:10 AM »

Just to reinforce what's been said about the physical/practical benefits of DAW mixing with a real console: I (for the most part) cut my teeth on the older Pro Tools w/100% mouse mixing (yes, I'm that young) and didn't have much experience with real boards at first. I recently got a Soundcraft 200 to patch my 8 outputs into at home and it was like finding religion. VERY intuitive, and this coming from someone who basically started in the box. The differences in sound quality are highly debatable and sometimes pure bullshit, but it's just so much easier & faster to get things sitting nicely with real faders, analog EQ, and dedicated knobs.
~Jens J.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.