R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Any chance to stop these kids from all this self-mutiliation?  (Read 14173 times)

danickstr

I am shocked by the amount of metal protruding from people's faces here in Seattle.

And then top it off with a couple limbs full of ink, and voila!  

Instant regret in 10 years, (or 10 days I would imagine in some cases)
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Barry Hufker

Re: Any chance to stop these kids from all this self-mutiliation?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:20:49 AM »

Eventually there will be a lot of senior citizens with droopy tattoos, and metal studs holding their bodies together.  It will all be very attractive.  And I won't live to see it -- damn.

Barry

Fibes

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 11:33:55 AM »

I just can't wait until amputations and shaving your face off becomes the fad.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

PRobb

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:40:18 AM »

The one I find sad is the tattoos. If you want to shave half your head and dye the other half purple- go ahead. If you want to pierce parts of your body that really shouldn't be pierced- have fun. That's what being 20 is there for! And I get that the fact that it upsets the old folk is part of the point. Rolling Eyes  But the hair grows back, the holes heal. You're not committed to looking like that when you're 40. I feel bad when I see kids who are massively tattooed. When you're 20, you have no idea who you will be when you're 40. The last thing you want to do when you're young is to permanently close doors to yourself.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

PookyNMR

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:44:10 AM »

The part that gets me is those new African style earings that stretch huge holes in the ear lobes.  I mean really - what are these kids thinking.  You're going to have to go through the rest of your life with the ugliest dumbo ears.  What are they going to do in 2 years when it's no longer fashionable??

Nathan Rousu

Tomas Danko

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 11:49:03 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Wed, 11 July 2007 16:20

Eventually there will be a lot of senior citizens with droopy tattoos, and metal studs holding their bodies together.  It will all be very attractive.  And I won't live to see it -- damn.

Barry

You mean like, Ozzy?  Razz
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

el duderino

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 01:06:01 PM »

tattoo's have become much more acceptable in the last 15 years or so i think. everyone i know has at least one and most people i see on the street have at least one exposed. i know people's mothers who have gotten them in recent years when ten years ago they never would have even thought about it.

dunno, i dont see anything wrong with it. somebody likes it so good for them. ya know, kinda like steely dan.

PRobb

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:12:42 PM »

el duderino wrote on Wed, 11 July 2007 13:06

tattoo's have become much more acceptable in the last 15 years or so i think. everyone i know has at least one and most people i see on the street have at least one exposed. i know people's mothers who have gotten them in recent years when ten years ago they never would have even thought about it.

dunno, i dont see anything wrong with it. somebody likes it so good for them. ya know, kinda like steely dan.

I'm not talking about "a" tattoo. I'm talking about kids with full sleeves.

I'm sure most of us made some pretty tragic fashion choices at some point in our lives Rolling Eyes  Laughing How would you like to have been stuck with them permanently? What looked cool and trendy 25 or 35 years ago would look pretty ridiculous today. So you don't look like that any more. Those tats will look pretty ridiculous as soon as they go out of style. Then what?
-Edmund Burke

ssltech

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 01:29:35 PM »

Back in the early 1980's I was often mistaken for the guitarist from A Flock Of Seagulls...

But I was ALWAYS able to take the glasses off, or just go out and buy new ones.

Lase-E-Rase (for tattoos) only works up to a certain area size... after that it's like having your skin turned to pork rinds.

I have a friend who survived a horrific car fire with burns over most of his body where his burning clothes stuck to his flesh... he has tattoos to disguise the unpleasantness of some of the burn scars by distracting the eye, and it works for him but it's all covered-up by clothing. He probably has ...I dunno... 35%(?) of his body tattooed, but even HE won't get visible-area ones done... the scars are less of a social burden in responsible circles.

-As for "daring" mothers getting tattoos, I reckon that even a lot of THEM will regret it one day...

I don't like 'em... which means my son will probably get himself COVERED with them as soon as he's old enough!

-Which reminds me... by law in the UK you have to be 16 or 18 to get piercings or tattoos... is there a minimum age in the US? -I've seen parents of 6-month old babies who have had their babies' ears pierced... that shit's just WRONG to me... Let the child decide for itself if it wants to get holes poked in its shkin, ferchrissakes!

One discreet lobe ring per ear is inoffensive to me, but more round the back of the pinna is a turn-off, and nose, lip, tongue and brow piercings make me want to vomit... I don't know why...

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Oh! My Sea Captain!

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure that anyone with the ambition to get a full sleeve won't regret it. It take one hell of a commitment to do so. That shit is expensive! And it hurts! And you have to sit there for hours on end. Sometimes over a few days.

A girl with a butterfly tattoo on the lower back or a guy with that barbed wire thing all the way around the arm seems to me much more likely to regret it.

I thought these days no one was offended by body modification anymore. Seems you can still freak out the squares, or whatever.
Tell her she's beautiful, roll the world over...

el duderino

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 02:02:38 PM »

PRobb wrote on Wed, 11 July 2007 13:12

What looked cool and trendy 25 or 35 years ago would look pretty ridiculous today.

funny, thats alot of what people wear these days actually. platforms, bell bottoms, sparkly shit, etc.

i think a GOOD tattoo sleeve looks good. but thats me. ive definitely seen plenty of stupid tattoo's on people, but hey...most of the world is made up of idiots so im not really surprised when i see a giant Carl's Jr. tattoo on someone.

maybe people with alot of tattoo's will regret it. or maybe when people my age get old we'll just scare the shit out of the young kids for being freaks. Twisted Evil

i just dont get why people make such a big deal out of it. its not you, its them. who cares? do you not like someone because of their haircut? its a choice that person made that only affects them. whether you think its a "stupid decision" or not.

and yeah sea captain- there's going to be entire retirement homes full of women with tramp stamps one day.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 03:08:06 PM »

I'm not opposed to tattoos or piercings.  What used to be a sign of rebellion is now a mark of conformity.  Unlike other fashions that you can put on or take off, these other things are a commitment.  As the skin takes on a different "tone" over the years, things that look good now may or may not later.

index.php/fa/5683/0/

Barry Hufker

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »

And there is this lovely trio.  Although I think this is body painting.  Still too good to pass up.

index.php/fa/5684/0/

PRobb

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 03:12:16 PM »

Oh! My Sea Captain! wrote on Wed, 11 July 2007 13:49

I'm pretty sure that anyone with the ambition to get a full sleeve won't regret it. It take one hell of a commitment to do so. That shit is expensive! And it hurts! And you have to sit there for hours on end. Sometimes over a few days.

How old are you? If you're over 35, think about the things you were committed to at 20. Do you really want to be held to them for life?

Quote:

I thought these days no one was offended by body modification anymore. Seems you can still freak out the squares, or whatever.

The question is what happens when they go out of style -and they will, guaranteed. I totally get the "freak out the squares" part. I used to be 20 too, ya know.Shocked  Very Happy  

But what happens if the kid with the sleeve wakes up on day and decides he wants to get a straight job? SOL son. Or what happens if he just realizes the tats are out of style and he wants to look current? Again, SOL, you're stuck in 2007 for life.
-Edmund Burke

el duderino

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 09:58:41 AM »

PRobb wrote on Wed, 11 July 2007 15:12

But what happens if the kid with the sleeve wakes up on day and decides he wants to get a straight job? SOL son. Or what happens if he just realizes the tats are out of style and he wants to look current? Again, SOL, you're stuck in 2007 for life.

they could always put on a long sleeved shirt. it works pretty good.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.