R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD computer George.  (Read 8356 times)

henchman

AMD computer George.
« on: April 25, 2004, 03:45:54 AM »

Hows it running. How many plug-ins have you been able to run?

Bill Park

Re: AMD computer George.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:27:07 PM »

I don't know what GMs experiences might be, but after a couple of trips back to the manufacturer and several months of wasted time, I threw my dual processor AMD machine away.  Out the door, gone.

I bought a Chris Smith (realcomputerguy.com) Intel with an Intel motherboard, problems solved.

I spent the last couple of days with Sebastian from Sequoia.  I asked him about recommended systems for Sequoia/Samplitude.  His first answer (expectedly) was that we should buy the fastest most powerful Windows-based computer that we could afford.  When pressed, he said that these things change from day to day, but as of that day (yesterday... ) he liked the Intel processor on the Intel motherboard, because of the quality of the Intel motherboards.  He also mentioned that they were quite happy with XP over the other flavors of Windows.

Your mileage may vary.

Bill

Ethan Winer

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 01:53:11 PM »

Bill,

> Intel with an Intel motherboard, problems solved. <

Agreed.

I've always bought computers with Intel CPUs and chipsets, and I have never ever had a problem. Some computer magazines claim that AMD and VIA etc have finally got their act together, but I remain skeptical. Moreover, an editorial I just read (forget where - SOS?) addressed this very issue and said all the pro audio developers test with Intel, and only sometimes try an AMD. So to me the small difference in price between AMD and Intel is not worth the risk of buying a new computer and finding out later - possibly a year later when you get some new program or plug-in - that something doesn't work because of the CPU or chipset.

--Ethan

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 02:05:29 PM »

Running XP on an AMD/ASUS combo here and have had zero problems in over a year of every day service...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

oudplayer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 03:06:28 PM »

Over here, we've got Samplitude running on AMD Barton 2500+ and Athlon 64 3400+ systems (ASUS mobos) - very fast, and more processing power than we need. Also, have never had a crash of any sort. I haven't tried a test of maximum simultaneous record tracks nor of maximum plugins, but we've had sessions with a number of room-simulator reverbs, eqs and compressors on all 32 tracks (24 bit 96k), and a whole host of Mix Buss and Aux effects without pushing the limits of the CPU load.

Protools 6.1 LE also works great on these systems, as does Ableton Live.

I've heard that the same systems, though, when used extensively for email and web surfing and graphics stuff in addition to audio, start to develop unique "personalities" that aren't desirable in a professional audio recording environment... so make it lean and you'll be much happier. The same probably goes for Intel-based computers, though, too (and probably has a lot more to do with hard drive fragmentation and XP resources than with the chipsets)
"BTW. You don't REALLY believe digital sounds like "SOURCE".... do you?

Because that would make you a insuperable paragon of nincompoopery." -Slipperman

Bill Park

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 03:35:41 PM »

Please understand... the problems were from jump, and continuous.  I also know many people with rocking AMD systems, and they are quite happy with them.  I went through 2 motherboards and countless other changes, with no joy.

My point, which was similar to Ethan's, is that the developers mostly use Intels (from what they tell me...), and if pressed, they recommend Intel.  You may have noticed that my synopsis of Sebastians' remarks included the motherboard.  This was a point that he was careful to emphasise...  not all motherboards are created equal.  

In the old days, SF used to develop on the Alpha.  This anoyed me because mere mortals could not afford them.  I was a part fo their beta test team.  My P-90 at the time could not begin to perform to the Alpha level, yet it was a top-rated performer in the PC world.  I'm glad that the developers are using what many of us use today.

According to Sebastian, the differences in actual real-world performance between AMD and Intel processors -once installed in a system- are minisule and will likely never be realized or noticed by any end user of audio products.  But the better constructed Intel motherboards are the driver for his recomendation.

He did not say that there were not any good motherboards for the AMD chipset.  What he said was that the Intel mobo with the Intel processor is his recommended system because of the quality of the motherboard construction.  He did not recommend any non-Intel motherboards for the Intel, either.

Bill

George Massenburg

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 05:35:46 PM »

You know, we're doing Nuendo development on this machine, and I haven't really stressed it in the studio just yet.

But I can tell you so far that this is a superb machine - extraordinarily reliable and robust.  We have been running things like a 3D Graphics package on the machine and it runs rings around anything else we've seen.

I'll stay in touch with this.

George

audio2u

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 06:50:48 PM »

My 2 cents worth.

My home studio setup is...
AMD AthlonXP 2800+ processor (clock speed is 2083MHz, from memory)
ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard
1GB DDR333 RAM
Windows 2000 Pro + SP4

The setup I use at one of my clients facilities (I freelance too) is...
Intel P4 2.4GHz (not sure if that means clock speed of 2400 MHz or not)
MB unknown
1GB RAM (type unknown)
Windows 2000 + SP3

...and what I can tell you is this...

Running Cool Edit Pro v2.1 with Direct X plugins, the Intel box eats my home systems for breakfast in terms of straight out speed.
But having used both systems, I have no major gripes with either.
Cheers,
Bruce Williams
Manager
Audio2u

Web: www.audio2u.com
Mail: studio@audio2u.com

Find me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=549147639

Gognak!!!

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 09:53:54 PM »

I've been recording on computers since DigiDesign came out with sound tools for the Atari 1040st.  Just so you all know I have used every type of computer available. I have found that sound flounders if it's not a Mac.  There is a huge difference in the way these machines encode audio. Don't be fooled go Mac.  It's not about crashing it's about end results.  Sound. Errors in your audio files
that play back compromised and quantized. Because 256 character machines make more mistakes.  Good luck at any rate...
      George Panagopoulos Cool
The bottom is the end.  Eat what your read!!! and...oh yea!! The first is the latter if the latter is the second most important thing on your...

By me!!!

brandondrury

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 04:29:06 AM »

The AMD CPU / ASUS motherboard rig has worked flawlessly for me for over a year now as well, for whatever it's worth.

Brandon

atticus

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 10:51:38 AM »

Gognak!!! wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 02:53

I've been recording on computers since DigiDesign came out with sound tools for the Atari 1040st.  Just so you all know I have used every type of computer available. I have found that sound flounders if it's not a Mac.  There is a huge difference in the way these machines encode audio. Don't be fooled go Mac.  It's not about crashing it's about end results.  Sound. Errors in your audio files
that play back compromised and quantized. Because 256 character machines make more mistakes.  Good luck at any rate...
      George Panagopoulos Cool

WHAT?!?! So you're saying that Macs sound better then PC's do? If this is true I'd be really interested in the proof. Thanks.
David Seymour
Mytek Digital
330-354-1576

graham

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 11:55:46 AM »

atticus wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 09:51

Gognak!!! wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 02:53

George Panagopoulos Cool

WHAT?!?! So you're saying that Macs sound better then PC's do? If this is true I'd be really interested in the proof. Thanks.

This sounds rather ridiculous.  Though I suppose you could run some tests with Nuendo or CubaseSX since they are cross-platform.

Graham

bblackwood

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 03:27:21 PM »

Surely he's joking fellas.

PCs handle far more important data than audio every day without error...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

graham

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 08:11:12 PM »

LOL, I guess I should pay more attention to smileys...  and relax.

Graham

George Massenburg

Re: AMD computer...
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 11:26:38 PM »

Guys,

This is the perfect opportunity for me to say this.

My dear friends, please do not even THINK of starting a MAC vs PC flame war here.  A Mac sounds no different than a PC.  

Period.

Also, do not BEGIN to think of starting a floating point vs fixed dialog here unless you're prepared to do REAL math and some REAL science.

Capiche?

George
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 1.793 seconds with 20 queries.