R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wump 12 discussion thread  (Read 24862 times)

Patrik T

Re: Wump 12 discussion thread
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2007, 09:26:13 PM »

So here goes...

TRILLIUM: Very, very well done. Musical, clear and nice. The compression ratio, attack and release has been very carefully selected.

MGM: While things might be in balance frequency-wise, I think it is not that fine dynamically. The guitars kind of fade out the drums from time to time. A pump that just does not cut it for me.

DG: Sounds like pure and bad destruction. Sorry, but...

ERIC: There is one issue here. It sounds like you brought up a really boring honky frequency that the AE might have struggled hard to get rid of. It's now everywhere, gtrs, vox, toms and whereever it is it just add this small ugliness to it. 600-800 cycles somewere. It's a little sad because without this it would sound very nice I think.

GBACKLIN: You have emphasized the small hole in the mids and it just sound weird and is not in line with the "balance" aspect of mastering.

STEVE B: I totally can get why it's tilted to the bright side. The clarity has been brought up but it might be too bright for many peoples tastes and ears.

ED: Very oriented towards low frequency energy. While it works for the tune it might be on the edge to murkiness.

BSLOBODIAN: Aren't the instruments kind of drifting in the stereo field here? The level choise is excellent though. Thanks for not driving things into smack.

AIVORY: Ok I guess.

MT GROOVE: There is this "Stairstep" where the gitars loose so much energy and loudness. Guess a result from multibanding?

ATOR: Ok-ish. Compression thingies which are not that nice though.

LUKE: OK I guess.

best regards
patrik

escape

« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Sun, 05 August 2007 21:26

ERIC: There is one issue here. It sounds like you brought up a really boring honky frequency that the AE might have struggled hard to get rid of. It's now everywhere, gtrs, vox, toms and whereever it is it just add this small ugliness to it. 600-800 cycles somewere. It's a little sad because without this it would sound very nice I think.

Yes.

I finally had the time to go back and experiment with some m/s processing for that 3 dB bell at 700 like I had discussed earlier and by switching the bell to the mono side it cleared this problem very nicely.

I was able to still keep the boost on the vox and the snare overtones without raising the ambience and causing that disruptive phasyness.

Too bad the album's already being printed, the clients were very happy tho. Still, being somewhat of a perfectionist I can only wish for the opportunity to redo that track. I learned from this regardless, so it's still a positive thing for me.

I remember saying before that it was the most difficult track on the album for me and the main reason was the extra reverb at the recording stage, so m/s for this one track on the EQ would have definitely been in order I think. Like I said before the extra reverb was requested by the drummer while they were mixing it down, and even tho the engineers are really good, they did their best to accomodate without ruining a mix that was headed in a good direction. Still the verb was overdone I think.

Since it was the one track with this problem I should have gone with the m/s EQ on that mid-band. If all of the tracks on the album would have had this tho, I might have considered asking for mixes with less verb. In the end what the band wanted, particularly the drummer, trumps everyone in this situation.

But I do agree completely with you and the others that have basically said the same thing, by fixing this problem with m/s processing the master would have been much closer to the best I could have done with it, all factors considered.

Thx for the input everyone.

I think we're still missing some reviews, and some techniques on the other thread as well, so try to keep em goin.

In the mean time, anyone have a mix to propose for the next Wump?
Do a high quality mp3 of your mix so we can hear it if you think you have something.
That way since this Wump is winding down we can have the next one set up to go while we're still enthused.
ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER
ACOUSTICS ENGINEER(ALMOST)

E-Scapes Mastering Services
Miami, FL

duckhunter

« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2007, 12:11:31 PM »

Let's do a wump13 with my mix of "Down in Mamou".  This the first session of a 12 song cd currently in process.  It might be nice to have ya'll master a mix with less than first rate converters and preamps (presonus digimax 96) going in, though clocked with Apogee Big Ben.  Go to www.myspace.com/studio89rocks to listen to my preliminary master of it.
Studio 89

aivoryuk

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »

dguidry wrote on Mon, 06 August 2007 17:11

Let's do a wump13 with my mix of "Down in Mamou".  This the first session of a 12 song cd currently in process.  It might be nice to have ya'll master a mix with less than first rate converters and preamps (presonus digimax 96) going in, though clocked with Apogee Big Ben.  Go to www.myspace.com/studio89rocks to listen to my preliminary master of it.

i can't seem to get this play do you have another link for it, what kind of style is it??

aivoryuk

« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2007, 01:58:23 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Mon, 06 August 2007 17:30

dguidry wrote on Mon, 06 August 2007 17:11

i can't seem to get this play do you have another link for it, what kind of style is it??

ok just listened, cool song man i would def be up for this one.

who's in??

lucidwaves

« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2007, 05:03:59 PM »

I wont be able to join in another wump for at least 1 week due to studio upgrades  Very Happy
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

Baddo

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2007, 06:39:24 PM »

I'm in!

Leo.
-Baddo

escape

« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2007, 11:56:43 PM »

dguidry wrote on Mon, 06 August 2007 12:11

It's swingin!

I think we still need a few more reviews from this Wump first tho, and some techniques listed too yet. We're missing 2-3 maybe, I could be mistaken. But if people are already pumped up for another then I guess we'll have to let it be and move along.

In the mean time why dont ya send out the hi-res version on yousendit.com for those that are interested, and if it's a go, you can take over from there as far as moderating Wump 13 if you're up to it. I need a break from driving. Was a pleasure tho. Cool
ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER
ACOUSTICS ENGINEER(ALMOST)

E-Scapes Mastering Services
Miami, FL

MT Groove

« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2007, 04:04:17 AM »

Patrik T wrote on Sun, 05 August 2007 20:26

MT GROOVE: There is this "Stairstep" where the gitars loose so much energy and loudness. Guess a result from multibanding?

best regards
patrik

This is the one WUMP I did not use multiband on.  Smile  I think I used multiband on most of the others though.  

bslobodian

« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2007, 10:12:25 AM »

Thanks Eric, the ride was smooth.
I would be on for the next Wump depending on the end date for submission. Taking a little holiday, then back for a series of jazz mastering. Maybe Wump 14 could be a jazz piece ?

Thanks to all,

Bernard Slobodian

Patrik T

« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2007, 05:51:03 PM »

I would gladely join the next round as well!

And thank you Eric for hosting this one.

Best
Patrik

gbacklin

« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »

Yes Eric, thank you for your time and effort on this, it was greatly appreciated.

I am interested in the next one also.

Take Care,
Gene
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.