R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Wump 12 discussion thread  (Read 24843 times)

escape

Wump 12 discussion thread
« on: July 10, 2007, 10:03:47 PM »

Wump 12 is on!

ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER
ACOUSTICS ENGINEER(ALMOST)

E-Scapes Mastering Services
Miami, FL

bslobodian

Re: Wump 12 discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:07:10 AM »

I hear distortion on toms. Just want to be sure I have the right file  Rolling Eyes
Anyone else ?

Bernard Slobodian

escape

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 05:20:41 PM »

bslobodian wrote on Sat, 14 July 2007 11:07

I hear distortion on toms. Just want to be sure I have the right file  Rolling Eyes
Anyone else ?

Bernard Slobodian

yes, there are a few instances where there is some distortion on the toms, you have the right file.
ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER

Miami, FL

duckhunter

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 01:03:37 PM »

Being new to Wump participation, I would like to know who reviews the submissions.  I we all review, then how do we get access to the submissions, etc.  Fill me in, please.  Thanks.
Studio 89

TotalSonic

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »

dguidry wrote on Mon, 16 July 2007 13:03

Being new to Wump participation, I would like to know who reviews the submissions.  I we all review, then how do we get access to the submissions, etc.  Fill me in, please.  Thanks.

First - after the deadline for submitting masters has passed, the participants review all the submissions and post their thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each on this thread.  Then after all the participants have given this initial review people post the exact signal process chain and settings used, and their reasons and thoughts on why they made the choices they did.

This track has definitely been a good exercise in trying to figure out how to unmuddy the track without losing the meatiness of the mix.  It also has been a definite challenge to try and get something this dense to "loud" without really losing the transients and integrity of the mix.  It will be interesting for me to hear what everyone else has come up with.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bslobodian

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:05:11 AM »

Quote:

First - after the deadline for submitting masters has passed, the participants review all the submissions and post their thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each on this thread.  Then after all the participants have given this initial review people post the exact signal process chain and settings used, and their reasons and thoughts on why they made the choices they did.

This track has definitely been a good exercise in trying to figure out how to unmuddy the track without losing the meatiness of the mix.  It also has been a definite challenge to try and get something this dense to "loud" without really losing the transients and integrity of the mix.  It will be interesting for me to hear what everyone else has come up with.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

So on the 20th, we can download all 20 versions of the wump 12 ? Boy, the server will be in the red  Shocked

Bernard Slobodian

escape

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:41:30 AM »

bslobodian wrote on Tue, 17 July 2007 09:05

So on the 20th, we can download all 20 versions of the wump 12 ? Boy, the server will be in the red  Shocked

Bernard Slobodian

you can start downloading the masters as soon as they are available.
that way, we avoid this situation.

either way I doubt we could crash it, it is a strong server, and it's ftp... Cool
ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER

Miami, FL

escape

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 03:43:29 PM »

just a reminder, 8 hours until the deadline.

ERIC JENSON
MASTERING ENGINEER

Miami, FL

lucidwaves

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 04:21:32 PM »

escape wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 12:43

eep
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

Matt_G

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 01:33:47 AM »

Hope no one minds that I snuck an entry in under the radar? I had some down time today & figured I'd throw my hat in the ring. It's been a while since I've had the time to participate in a good 'ol Wumping. If the number blows out to over 20 then obviously there is no need to evaluate mine. My entry is labelled 'Wump 12_MGM.wav'

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

sondod

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 04:57:57 AM »

Yeah I'm a bit late myself.  In a bit of a time warp.  But its uploading now.  Wump12_DD.aif.
Never underestimate the power of quality music.

David Dodson
Alutacontinua

ATOR

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 05:14:14 AM »

I'm curious how loud everyone got their version. I hope I don't have to wade through too much obliterated tracks but still have some fun listening. I made three versions and submitted the one that had the most dynamics and a big bottom. I noticed that with the louder versions I didn't feel the urge to turn up the volume and bang my head. If I don't get that then this track would miss it's purpose in life.

The downloads are finished, time to get them into the studio.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

present

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 05:36:56 AM »

I'm uploading now...sorry I'm late!

edit - done

TotalSonic

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 11:16:03 AM »

ATOR wrote on Thu, 19 July 2007 05:14

I'm curious how loud everyone got their version. I hope I don't have to wade through too much obliterated tracks but still have some fun listening.

Well the mix as it sat - dark to the point of  muddy, with an extremely dense arrangement to boot - certainly doesn't "want" to be "loud" at all.  Getting it to sound even remotely as "loud" as a much sparer mix with individual elements having time for more prominent places in the mix was extremely difficult without lots of lost transients from limiting, or introducing distortion and crackle from clipping.

Still -
As an experiment and an excercise, I went for as totally & completely obliterated and pancaked as I could get this without introducing substantial artifacts, as I think a lot (and possibly most) clients doing this type of "black metal" would want it to blast out of the iPod in shuffle mode and not sound substantially "softer" on first impression than nearly any other track the end listener would have.

While I do believe that there are a number of bands in this genere that would definitely be into retaining all natural dynamics, to think that a lot of clients in this genre would not want to participate as "winners" in the loudness war would be naive.  In some ways I found that the extra distortion the "obliteration" from the pancaked mastering gave kind of gave it some more energy.  The key to me was finding a place where the drum transients still were present, where there wasn't crackling during the sparer sections, and most importantly where there was still lots and lots of "meat" in the guitar chugs, and to keep the high end down to a place where it's still crankable.  I'm really not sure whether I succeeded in this balancing act at all though - given the goals I put on myself I found this track was very difficult to get to them.  I haven't listened to any of the other submissions yet but look forward to hearing other approaches, as I'm pretty sure there's probably some good ideas among them.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

Catalin Truta

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 12:40:15 PM »

escape wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 22:43

What? I didn't realize I'm so late. Probably won't make it...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 16 queries.