R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael Moore is ripping Wolf Blitzer a new hole on CNN right now  (Read 11516 times)

mgod

Re: Michael Moore is ripping Wolf Blitzer a new hole on CNN right now
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2007, 03:06:26 PM »

And for bringing more attention to it, he will deserve some credit. "Roger and Me" showed the destruction of the industrial base in the name of shareholders. "Bowling for Columbine" made a connection between the companies which refuse to take responsibility for the ammo they profit from selling and the people wounded by that product. "Fahrenheit 911" showed the happy greed of companies that could somehow attach themselves to the Iraq War feedbag. You can fault the messenger all you want. I'm sure he doesn't care what you think, and he's doing a public service. That he's smart enough to do a public service while making money may be something to be jealous of, given that most of our society makes money by doing damage, but then again I suppose you prefer to give away your music than be paid for it. That's noble of you, assuming people want to hear it. People obviously choose to consume Moore's products. That they get some real information at the same time isn't too bad a thing. But as someone who won't support his work, you maybe aren't yet qualified to tell us that he isn't telling the truth about the subject.

What Moore does consistently is hold a mirror up to the way in which we gleefully hurt each other, and does it in a way which gets the message across by being sort of entertaining. Its quite a skill.

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

studiojimi

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2007, 03:30:03 PM »

mgod wrote on Fri, 23 November 2007 12:06

What Moore does consistently is hold a mirror up to the way in which we gleefully hurt each other, and does it in a way which gets the message across by being sort of entertaining. Its quite a skill.

DS

Amen. Well put . . .and I agree.

i even enjoyed the documentary on him by those canadians who showed  a light on him i had not known

asher would dig that i think

have you seen that asher?
CAZADOR RECORDING
STUDIOJIMI'S PSW SONG FORUM
MY MYSPACE
How very good and pleasant it is
when kindred live together in unity!
Psalm 133:1

Ashermusic

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2007, 04:30:41 PM »

mgod wrote on Fri, 23 November 2007 20:06

And for bringing more attention to it, he will deserve some credit. "Roger and Me" showed the destruction of the industrial base in the name of shareholders. "Bowling for Columbine" made a connection between the companies which refuse to take responsibility for the ammo they profit from selling and the people wounded by that product. "Fahrenheit 911" showed the happy greed of companies that could somehow attach themselves to the Iraq War feedbag. You can fault the messenger all you want. I'm sure he doesn't care what you think, and he's doing a public service. That he's smart enough to do a public service while making money may be something to be jealous of, given that most of our society makes money by doing damage, but then again I suppose you prefer to give away your music than be paid for it. That's noble of you, assuming people want to hear it. People obviously choose to consume Moore's products. That they get some real information at the same time isn't too bad a thing. But as someone who won't support his work, you maybe aren't yet qualified to tell us that he isn't telling the truth about the subject.

DS

I would have no problem with Moore's profiting and self-aggrandizing if he were honest but he is not and the fact that he distorts, misrepresents, and  lies in the service of what may be good causes does not excuse him.

Christopher Hitchings wrote this:
http://www.slate.com/id/2102723/

John Stossel wrote this:
http://www.publiuspundit.com/2007/09/exposing_michael_moores _lies_a.php

There is also
http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fiftysix-Deceits-in-Fahrenhe it-911.htm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/minette_ marrin/article2753620.ece

But you are not open to my point of view you and you are getting rather personal and nasty so at this point I will bid you adieu.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

studiojimi

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2007, 07:02:29 PM »

michiganers like myself are at time self grandizing

but certainly no more than jews poles and russians and many other of god's kids

asher i hope you didn't think i was gettting personal or nasty

if so please show me what made you go there

i want a good vibe with  you and most of the cats in here and i want to be able to give you a nice slap five at the next tech breakfast so....please...don't go getting thin skinned

we're supposed to be having fun here.
CAZADOR RECORDING
STUDIOJIMI'S PSW SONG FORUM
MY MYSPACE
How very good and pleasant it is
when kindred live together in unity!
Psalm 133:1

Jay Kadis

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2007, 07:04:59 PM »

The disappointing thing about Moore's presentation style is that in order to get any notice you have to be bombastic.  If he made straight documentaries no one would watch.  This is a major factor in the lack of real discussion in politics and an underlying flaw in the current American political system.  Sensationalism has escaped from Hollywood and infected Washington, where theatrics is accepted as a replacement for serious deliberation.

Ashermusic

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2007, 07:24:40 PM »

studiojimi wrote on Sat, 24 November 2007 00:02

michiganers like myself are at time self grandizing

but certainly no more than jews poles and russians and many other of god's kids

asher i hope you didn't think i was gettting personal or nasty

if so please show me what made you go there

i want a good vibe with  you and most of the cats in here and i want to be able to give you a nice slap five at the next tech breakfast so....please...don't go getting thin skinned

we're supposed to be having fun here.

Jimi, it wasn't you  I was responding to, it was DS (mgod)

Besides I know you a little and I know you are just like me, a guy who likes to tease so we are totally cool.

Actually, I am not mad at DS either, I just see the discussion heading in a direction I do not want to pursue.

www.jayasher.com

Ashermusic

« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2007, 07:32:56 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Sat, 24 November 2007 00:04

The disappointing thing about Moore's presentation style is that in order to get any notice you have to be bombastic.  If he made straight documentaries no one would watch.  This is a major factor in the lack of real discussion in politics and an underlying flaw in the current American political system.  Sensationalism has escaped from Hollywood and infected Washington, where theatrics is accepted as a replacement for serious deliberation.

Jay, respectfully I don't think it is a matter of "presentation style", I think he is unfair and dishonest.

Let me give one concrete example. He made Charlton Heston look like a total whack job by editing together moments of several meetings picking his worst moments making it look like one continuous conversation. Now Mr. Heston is indeed perhaps over the top on the gun issue. But he is also a very decent man who along with his wife goes to the Encino library to read to little kids, like my daughter years ago, and I can tell you he is a gracious and lovely man. It was character assassination.

Who here would like the worst moments over several conversations edited together as a representation of who we are? Believe me, if a film maker did the same thing to Mr. Moore, and it would be EASY to make him look bad, he would be outraged as he does not take any kind of criticism well.

www.jayasher.com

Jay Kadis

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2007, 07:49:37 PM »

Heston is obviously an unfair target, given his physical condition.  My point is not to defend Moore, but to point out that the reason he's noticed at all is that he is as over the top as any of the right-wing talk-show hosts and that's what seems to appeal to the audience.  He's no better or worse than the rest of them, but he's one of the few on the left willing to stoop to that level.  I'm afraid he's a necessary evil.  I can't watch him for more than 5 minutes.  But his message needs to get out.  It's a sad commentary on the state of American politics.

mgod

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2007, 07:13:24 PM »

That is exactly the point - his message needs to get out. There is an army massed against him - and us. We are under attack on a minute by minute basis from a variety of industries: defense, pharmaceutical, insurance, motor vehicle, and many others: a constant barrage of logical and emotional massage meant to keep us frightened and spending.

DS

mgod

« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2007, 08:30:35 PM »

mgod

« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2007, 10:39:45 AM »

Ashermusic wrote on Fri, 23 November 2007 13:30

But you are not open to my point of view you and you are getting rather personal and nasty

Nonsense - and so easy to say and do. So far your response to having  your ideas challenged is to call me illogical and hyperbolic and tell us that unless we do what you do, we are intellectually lazy. So open-minded and generous of you. Step up - support your ideas. We don't have to swallow them whole just because you want to be agreed with.

DS

Ashermusic

« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2007, 11:30:23 AM »

mgod wrote on Sun, 25 November 2007 15:39

Ashermusic wrote on Fri, 23 November 2007 13:30

But you are not open to my point of view you and you are getting rather personal and nasty

Nonsense - and so easy to say and do. So far your response to having  your ideas challenged is to call me illogical and hyperbolic and tell us that unless we do what you do, we are intellectually lazy. So open-minded and generous of you. Step up - support your ideas. We don't have to swallow them whole just because you want to be agreed with.

DS

I have made my best arguments. People can read and decide for themselves. I have neither the time nor the inclination for endless debate.

Once again, for a fair and balanced history, I highly recommend "The Looming Tower" by Lawrence Wright.

www.jayasher.com

mgod

« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2007, 12:35:26 PM »

Ashermusic wrote on Sun, 25 November 2007 08:30

Once again, for a fair and balanced history, I highly recommend "The Looming Tower" by Lawrence Wright.

Much better expressed.

DS

Graham Jordan

« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2007, 04:30:18 PM »

PookyNMR wrote on Wed, 21 November 2007 09:02

I also saw the movie last night.

I think that it should cause many Americans to raise some serious questions.

One of the best parts of the movie, I think, are the interviews with Tony Benn in the special features section.  He makes some excellent points about the individualistic world view of North American society.

Also interesting in the special features was the exposition on Norway...  

Actually, I jusst watched Sicko last weekend for the first time. I also saw a few of the features, and was alos going to point out extended interview with Tony Benn. As a Brit now living in US, I am familiar with him, the UK system and the US. Tony Benn is excellent. This is why he was an MP for so long... he makes so much sense!

I highly recommend viewing this. Even if you've seen the movie, get the DVD and see this.
Eduation (including colledge/university) and health care, as fire, police, etc. should be available to ALL, irrespective of income. It's what a wealthy and civilised country/society MUST do. These directly benefit EVERYONE. A healthy, educated, safe population is the bedrock of civilised society.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2007, 08:07:23 PM »

delete
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.