R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filibusters -- I didn't know this  (Read 1130 times)

Barry Hufker

Filibusters -- I didn't know this
« on: July 10, 2007, 03:39:34 PM »

Wondering why Dems aren't getting the legislation passed that they promised.  Me too and I've been quite pissed about it.  I was blaming Dems for lack of action until I found out Republican'ts are using Filibusters to stop them.

With Dems have the majority in the Senate you would think everything they want would be passed BUT! all the Republicans have to do is declare an intent to filibuster, then the required number of votes for legislation to pass is 60!

Who knew??

PRobb

Re: Filibusters -- I didn't know this
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 04:14:31 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Tue, 10 July 2007 15:39

Wondering why Dems aren't getting the legislation passed that they promised.  Me too and I've been quite pissed about it.  I was blaming Dems for lack of action until I found out Republican'ts are using Filibusters to stop them.

With Dems have the majority in the Senate you would think everything they want would be passed BUT! all the Republicans have to do is declare an intent to filibuster, then the required number of votes for legislation to pass is 60!

Who knew??

Surely not the same "up or down vote" republicans who denounced filibusters as anti democratic when they had the majority! Mad  Mad  Mad
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

J.J. Blair

Re: Filibusters -- I didn't know this
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:33:42 PM »

Yeah, imagine is they'd introduced that amendment to take away filibusters, that was called "the Nuclear Option."

Part of the problem, as well, is that things they have passed have been veto'd, and they don't have the 2/3rds vote needed to override the veto.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.