R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One Pattern Magic  (Read 3978 times)

Ross Hogarth

One Pattern Magic
« on: April 24, 2004, 06:57:17 PM »

Klaus
Will you please explain to me/us why when a multiple polar pattern mic like a C12 when made to be only cardioid , exhibits such a different response characteristic.

thanks in advance
Ross

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Loco

Re: One Pattern Magic
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 10:52:30 PM »

My favorite mic is a Klaussified U87 with that very same treatment. It's something he does in order to get no phase shift on it. Can you elaborate, Klaus?
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com

Klaus Heyne

Re: One Pattern Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 12:39:10 AM »

Ross Hogarth wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 15:57

Klaus
Will you please explain to me/us why when a multiple polar pattern mic like a C12 when made to be only cardioid , exhibits such a different response characteristic.

thanks in advance
Ross

Ross,
The short answer is masking.
The signal-to-noise-ratio improvement of a "cardioid-only" cardioid over a remotely adjusted cardioid is ca. 4dB.

The obvious lowering of the noise floor is one thing, the disappearance of the masking mid-band hiss in a band that our ears are extremely sensitive to is another.
Masking removes dimensionality from an audio source, muffling, in a way, the sound. It also makes the audio more sluggish dynamically and less engaging.

I always use the analogy of the Ferrari which tows an invisible trailer: When the rear half of a capsule is electrically still connected to the front t half, despite acoustically neutralized, (C12, M49, C24, SM69, etc.) the rear is nevertheless still "loading:" the front.

There are many ways to mechanically disconnect the rear capsule from the system. The simplest is unscrewing the wire from the rear diaphragm; more elegant: a pattern switch (U47, U67, ELA M251
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 17 queries.