R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NOS 12AX7 options for OCL-2  (Read 21073 times)

TotalSonic

NOS 12AX7 options for OCL-2
« on: July 06, 2007, 05:05:59 PM »

So - looks like one of the 12AX7's on the input stage of my Pendulum OCL-2 right channel has gotten a lot noisier over the past week.  I've used Angela Instruments to source things like Mullard & Amperex for this kind of stuff in the past but was wondering what other sources and what 12AX7 tubes in particular people have likedfor their mastering processors.  Obviously low noise, as close as possible to non-microphonic, and smoothness of sound, along with hopefully a semblance of pair matching is the desired goal with this.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

PookyNMR

Re: NOS 12AX7 options for OCL-2
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 05:08:52 PM »

Pendulum Audio states in their OCL-2 manual that they carry replacement tubes.  So at the very least, you should be able to restore the unit to factory specs (which is pretty darn good if you ask me).
Nathan Rousu

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 05:11:13 PM »

Steve, I think Antique Electronic Supply does some kind of Low Noise Test for triodes and they sell NOS Mullards Tele's etc. They're pretty good on the phone and will probably explain this if you call, or perhaps there's something on their website, tubesandmore.com

bab

TotalSonic

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 05:12:42 PM »

PookyNMR wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 17:08

Pendulum Audio states in their OCL-2 manual that they carry replacement tubes.  So at the very least, you should be able to restore the unit to factory specs (which is pretty darn good if you ask me).

I talked to Greg before posting this.  What he carries is 1990's era NOS Chinese made stuff and he was encouraging towards trying out other options.  The unit was fine when I got it but still slightly noisier than most of my other processors (which are all solid state).  Having 1st hand experience with what a good Amperex Bugle Boy / Mullard / Sylvania / etc. can do as replacement for more commonly found Soviet and Chinese options - I think I can do better (although granted - at a price).  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ed Littman

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:05:55 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 17:12

PookyNMR wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 17:08

I talked to Greg before posting this.  What he carries is 1990's era NOS Chinese made stuff and he was encouraging towards trying out other options.  The unit was fine when I got it but still slightly noisier than most of my other processors (which are all solid state).  Having 1st hand experience with what a good Amperex Bugle Boy / Mullard / Sylvania / etc. can do as replacement for more commonly found Soviet and Chinese options - I think I can do better (although granted - at a price).  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

try right in your back yard....richard matthews
http://www.leedselect.com/index.html

it's been a while since i was there & I fell out of touch, but ya never know.
ed

PookyNMR

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:48:33 PM »

Let us know what you find, thanks!
Nathan Rousu

OTR-jkl

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 10:53:52 PM »

I replaced a Sovtek with a Telefunken. Much more neutral and way more ballsier. Its been a little while, but I think I got it from this place...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

Tubefreak

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 08:02:47 AM »

Mullards are very nice sounding tubes, I really like their bold low/mid sound. If you can't find them (for a decent price), I can recommend you
RFT ECC83 - 70's East-German - sound a lot like Mullards, great quality
Philips/Miniwatt ECC83* - 70's Holland (!) - also very Mullard like (sometimes identicle), a bit less top end
Telefunken ECC83* - 70s German -  nice balance, not as bold on the lowmid as Mullard, superb detail
Tesla E83CC* - 70s Czech - very close to Telefunken
Siemens ECC83* - great balance, Telefunken like

* = many times there are high quality versions available. Telefunken/Tesla/Siemens named them ECC803S. Philips used to add SQ (special quality) to the print. These are even lower noise.

I really dislike Sovteks (harsh, lack of detail), Chinese tubes (gritty, blurry, haven't tested the Mullard copy), and infact most US build pre-amp tubes (lack the sonic quality of European tubes imho). The better part of my collection came from Ebay and tested them myself. But watfordvalves.com is a great source as well.

ps. If you have the time, it might be worth experimenting with european ECC81 (12AT7) and ECC82 (12AU7) tubes. The ECC82 are lowest in gain and sometimes lack a bit low end, but can solve noise/headroom problems. ECC81 in many cases offer great sonic qualities with less gain then a 12AX7. With great results I've used several of these by Telefunken, Mullard, Siemens, RFT, Philips, etc.

99% of the time they are drop-in replacements, sometimes you have to check how the filements are connected. And in some designs these tubes can't be replaced with each other because it was designed specifically around one type.

Good luck
Maarten

TotalSonic

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  Keep 'em coming.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

garret

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 12:49:11 PM »

I don't know enough to recommend a particular tube tube for an OCL-2...

But I will chime in saying I've had great luck ordering NOS tubes from Brent Jessee Recording & Supply.

Looks like he has a lot of 12AX7 tubes.

http://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

bblackwood

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 06:44:20 PM »

Instead of the 6AY7, why not go with the 6072A? That's supposed to be the best tube for the input stage. I just bought 4 of them for my OCL2, so while they are hard to find, they can be found...

BTW, tubedepot.com has a great selection of tubes!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Trillium Sound

• Real Full Name: Richard Addison
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 08:59:45 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 13 July 2007 18:44

Instead of the 6AY7, why not go with the 6072A?

I totally agree with that.

Trillium Sound Studio
http://www.trilliumsound.com
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Tel.:438-390-2236

Julio Di Benedetto

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 10:29:01 AM »

Im in the same place with my OCL2 and want to change out the tubes.....the manual states that the tubes are 12AX7A.  Whats the  extra "A" mean.

Its ok to use 12AX7 without the A or not?

Thanks,

Julio

Trillium Sound

• Real Full Name: Richard Addison
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »

That is interesting and confusing. I have never look in the manual that was shipped with the unit till today but I always looked the one on Pendulum's website. On their website,  they mention that there are 2x 6072A and 2x 6922 ( http://www.pendulumaudio.com/OCL-2%20Specs.html ) and if I look in my manual, it says 2x 12AX7A !! I will pull mine out of the rack and see what's in there but I always thought there were 6072A.
Trillium Sound Studio
http://www.trilliumsound.com
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Tel.:438-390-2236

bblackwood

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 12:40:25 PM »

FWIW, just replaced the tubes in the OCL2 this morning (NOS GE 6072A's on the input, Tesla Gold 6922s on the output) and the noise floor dropped about 11dB/channel from what it was when the unit was new (shipped with 12AX7A's).

For those that haven't seen it, here's the inside of the OCL-2:

http://www.euphonicmasters.com/misc/OCL2_inside.gif

and here's the line stage with the new tubes installed:

http://www.euphonicmasters.com/misc/OCL2_new_tubes.gif
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.