R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BLUE microphones  (Read 7931 times)

Rautio

BLUE microphones
« on: April 24, 2004, 10:19:43 AM »

Howdy

I
Sami Rautio
"Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner."
-Douglas Adams

http://www.myshameful.com

hollywood_steve

Re: BLUE microphones
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 02:03:50 AM »

I've got the BLUE  Bottle with the B6 & B7 capsules and I can't think of anything I dislike about it.  Of course its a great vocal mic, but last night I used to as one of four mics while recording an opera(!!!) (the Bottle was used as a center channel vocal spot in support of a stereo pair of Neumann KM184s)  

The multiple capsules combined with the high quality electronics result in one of the most versatile mics around.  Yeah its big and heavy, but so is the RCA 44; I've never run across any circumstances where its size/weight were a problem.  The cost factor is a more "real" issue, but its a bargain compared to some of the comparable mics currently available.  (the new Telefunken USA mics, for example)

Some random thoughts about pricing: A couple of years ago, when the exchange rate was working in our favor (USA), U87s were WAY under $2k and M149s were under $3k.  At that time the Bottle was an expensive mic, but still well worth it IMO.  But now with dealers gettting $4k for a M149 and nearly $3k for a U87w/shock, then the Bottle starts to look like a real bargain.

Forgetting silly things like money, the Bottle is one of the most flexible large D condensers available and in the right setting, on the right source, it can hang with the very best mics.  And you can't ask for much more from a mic, at any price.

bruce

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 05:40:16 PM »

Have you checked out any of the DPA family of mics?
I have recently had excellent results with their Miniatures, Compacts and Standards. They cost a bit, but for my money are the most natural, uncolored and highest resolutions mics I've ever worked with.
Bruce

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 04:18:36 PM »

used a BLUE kiwi while tracking at CRC last year.

had it as a mono room mic on drums.....it was awesome

then used it on some guitar over dubs....again, awesome

then used it for lead vox tracking and it was amazing

i haven't heard any other blue mics, but based on the kiwi, i'd have to say i'm impressed and if i tracked more i'd but a kiwi with out hesitation.

porter

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 10:43:30 AM »

Used a couple of the B.L.U.E. mikes, like the Dragonfly and the Blueberry and thought they  rock--not cheap, but very pro-sounding and a value for yer buck.

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 03:17:23 PM »

actually, the versatility i experienced with the kiwi makes the price tag seem pretty reasonable

that's a solid mic, that can do MANY things well

not just average here and there......i was very impressed

until my session with the kiwi, the soundeluxe U-95 was the only other mic that i've ever used that sounds awesome on everything i've put it on.....

J.J. Blair

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 02:22:46 PM »

Last year I used a Bottle with the champagne capsule on a certain legendary rock singer with a satin yet gravel kinda voice, and it was phenomenal.  BLUE makes some of the most well constructed and well thought out products.  More expensive than Chinese mics, but you can use then as matched pairs, unlike the chinese mics.  I bet they will last a lot longer, too.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 18 queries.