R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I just (tried) to make a record with Steve Albini  (Read 53656 times)

jimmyjazz

Re: I just (tried) to make a record with Steve Albini
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 07:13:11 PM »

I think it's really poor form to criticize (alleged) raw tracks from a record that turned out pretty well, and which was a big commercial and critical success.  Do you think it's possible that Steve Albini had something else in mind for those tracks that you can't conceive as being useful in a final mix?  

Have you never recorded close-miced tracks that turned out useless in a final mix?

I find it reprehensible to presume that one knows what was used, what was discarded, and furthermore to judge the trees when the forest is beautiful.  That's not consistent with the spirit of engineering a good record . . . not at all.

pg666

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 07:38:07 PM »

Quote:

ok, i just went to iTunes and listened to the samples of that Zao record he made last year. still not impressed, nor interested.

tell me the "best' sounding SA record and i'll go check it out with an open mind.

not that Zao record!

actually, i think it sounds alright, but i think there are people who do the metal stuff better. matt bayles, kurt ballou, etc..

check out Nina Nastasia's "the Blackened Air" or for something more rockin', Silkworm's "Italian Platinum" or "Lifestyle".

Fibes

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 07:50:46 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Wed, 11 July 2007 19:13

I think it's really poor form to criticize (alleged) raw tracks from a record that turned out pretty well, and which was a big commercial and critical success.  Do you think it's possible that Steve Albini had something else in mind for those tracks that you can't conceive as being useful in a final mix?  

Have you never recorded close-miced tracks that turned out useless in a final mix?

I find it reprehensible to presume that one knows what was used, what was discarded, and furthermore to judge the trees when the forest is beautiful.  That's not consistent with the spirit of engineering a good record . . . not at all.

I don't think i'm being clear about my stance on this.

I'm not criticising the tracks, as you said the end result was a good record.

To be point blank, i think it proves that not all happens in the tracking end and that sub-deities can rest assured that at tracking the record is far from complete.

I track plenty of stuff that isn't totally there, and to align it with Steve's philosophy it went down not ready for prime time because we were there to capture the moment not the perfect snare sound.

We all get caught up in the engineering end of stuff way too much and I find it reprehensable to think what we do is overly important since some of the most moving and timeless pieces of music are plagued with technical mis steps.

So, I admire Steve and his willingness to let the chips fall as they may because it takes a big man to do so.

I'm not saying that Steve fucked up and would never EVER pretend to understand what goes on in someone elses mind or their session but i do want to stress the importance of not taking our work over the artists inspiration.

BTW I tried to post this sentiment earlier and lost it to a DSL outtage.

That Low record he did is a good one. Visionary band, transparent engineer.

When it works it works.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

The Octopus

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 08:52:07 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 11 July 2007 17:50

ok, i just went to iTunes and listened to the samples of that Zao record he made last year.  still not impressed, nor interested.

tell me the "best' sounding SA record and i'll go check it out with an open mind.

While it is quite subjective what could be the 'best', which you implied by your quotes, I can tell you my favorite recordings by him.
I really like everything about Nina Nastasia's "The Blackened Air". I think Mclusky's "The Difference Between you and me is that I'm not on Fire" is perfect.
Bedhead's "Transaction de Nova", The Jesus Lizard's "Down", and Uzeda's "Stella" are all recordings I really enjoy. Not to diminish the art - I love all of these artists too.

The implication that there is an "Albini sound" is slightly irritating. once you listen to more than In Utero, Surfer Rosa, and Razorblade suitcase, you'll note a lack of consistency in any area other than his format of choice and perhaps his work ethic.

Jeremy

j.hall

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2007, 05:29:28 PM »

give me some time to check all that stuff out.

about In Utero.....Scott Litt mixed the singles.....those mixes are KILLER.  but i'd bet a good chunk of money that he used samples for the drums.

compasspnt

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2007, 10:11:50 PM »

Where is Scott?  Let's ask him.

j.hall

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2007, 04:23:25 PM »

if you know him, ask him to stop by.

compasspnt

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2007, 09:45:23 PM »

I do know him, but don't know where he is right now, or how to contact him.

Paging Scott...

Andy Peters

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »

The Octopus wrote on Wed, 11 July 2007 17:52

The Jesus Lizard's "Down"

Not as good as Goat, so don't get your hopes up, Cheese.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

ryst

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2007, 09:29:57 AM »

Fibes wrote on Thu, 12 July 2007 00:50

jimmyjazz wrote on Wed, 11 July 2007 19:13

That Low record he did is a good one. Visionary band, transparent engineer.

When it works it works.

If you are referring to "Things We Lost In The Fire", then yes, that was a very good sounding record.  Especially "Dinosaur Act".  The low end on that track is incredible.

Nathan Schreier

"To obtain a man's opinion of you, make him mad."

RSettee

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2007, 01:54:19 PM »

The mics above/ under the snare gets the compression wave (the top soundwave) and the rarefaction wave (the bottom soundwave). There's two parts to a soundwave, and plus, that gets alot more of the snap of the drum. The bottom of the snare is where you get all the snap.

Some great sounding Albini records:

--Didjits' "Full Nelson Reilly". May be one of the top five drum sounds that i've heard on record. The mix is still....well, the vocals sound weird, but this is one of the toughest, rawest rock n' roll records that i've heard since the heyday of the Stooges. I figured this out on a hunch--"Reggie Stiggs" is Steve's alter ego on that record, he's not listed. I had a feeling that he did it, and asked Rick of the Didjits, and yeah, Steve did it. Steve also confirmed it here in a question that I asked awhile back. Not bad for going just off the sonic qualities of the album.

--Jesus Lizard, "Liar". I was listening to this again the other day, and man is that record spot on.

--Sadies, "Live In Concert Vol. 1"
--Sadies "Precious Moments"

-High On Fire, "Blessed Black Wings". Not sure if you guys are a fan of metal, but this record is insanely heavy. Albini's work on that record just makes a bludgeoning album heavier. Love it. Plus, John Golden mastered it, and the Albini/ Golden team is a top notch sound duo.

There's more, but that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. IMHO, he usually could need a mixing engineer, because his mixing levels are pretty inconsistent. In his own words, he's not a producer, and he chooses really to leave the original mix levels when tracking--so i'd say that he isn't really a mixing engineer, anyways. The new Stooges album sounds terrible (sorry Steve!).

The Octopus

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2007, 02:39:24 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Sun, 15 July 2007 21:08

Not as good as Goat, so don't get your hopes up, Cheese.

-a

Goat is probably a better record, but I like the recording/mix of Down better.

RSettee wrote on Tue, 17 July 2007 13:54

There's more, but that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. IMHO, he usually could need a mixing engineer, because his mixing levels are pretty inconsistent. In his own words, he's not a producer, and he chooses really to leave the original mix levels when tracking--so i'd say that he isn't really a mixing engineer, anyways. The new Stooges album sounds terrible (sorry Steve!).

I think the inconsistency is more based on the different preferences of the bands he records than on a lackadaisical approach to mixing (e.g. leaving the faders how they were during tracking).

Jeremy

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 11 July 2007 22:50

get the new shellac record. hard for me to imagine anyone not liking the sound of that one.

John McEntire

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2007, 01:55:43 AM »

J,

In addition to the many records people have mentioned, I would definitely suggest checking out any of the LPs Steve worked on with Neurosis, and also The Ex... killing.

RSettee

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2007, 11:20:01 AM »

Oh....I forgot this one--Dirty Three's "Ocean Songs". Definetely highly recommended, not only for Albini's work, but also the band--it's their best, IMHO. The kick is gigantic, the drum sound captures alot of the slightly jazzy qualities of the band, and considering that Dirty Three have alot of space in their arrangements and are very dynamic (just drums, guitar, viola/ violin), it's nice to hear Albini record a non-rock album, because he captured the band's sense of space and dynamics very well....the album is not compressed very much, there's many crescendos. Very, very well done. It's all instrumental, so there's no vocals to bury either (Steve usually makes vocals sound weird to my ears).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.