R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I just (tried) to make a record with Steve Albini  (Read 53873 times)

maxim

Re: I just (tried) to make a record with Steve Albini
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2007, 10:57:58 PM »

"Some few, such as Led Zeppelin, do not"

although, arguably, jimmy page is a producer (unlike any of the fab four)

no band needs TWO producers...

compasspnt

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2007, 12:17:24 AM »

Yes, that was why they didn't need one.

Baddo

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2007, 01:32:53 PM »

ballison wrote on Thu, 26 July 2007 15:53

index.php/fa/5784/0/

Compass point edition haha

that's cool, do you mind if I d'load it? I can switch between both bi-monthly  Rolling Eyes  Very Happy

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 26 July 2007 18:11

Most excellent.

I will soon add that to our website!

oh, with the permission of Baddo, of course

you are fully authorized.
-Baddo

canada

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »

Off-topic
I called Guitar Center early in an emergency to ask, "Hi there, do you have any 1/4" tape in stock?"

The kid on the phone said, "...And...What would that be used for?"
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

wwittman

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2007, 01:27:04 AM »

J-Texas wrote on Thu, 26 July 2007 22:04

wwittman wrote on Thu, 26 July 2007 19:43

he does?

I must have missed it.

Razz  Bitter? I won't be going there...

bitter??? hardly

Well I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused... as someone once said.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

J-Texas

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2007, 09:20:17 AM »

wwittman wrote on Sun, 29 July 2007 00:27

J-Texas wrote on Thu, 26 July 2007 22:04

wwittman wrote on Thu, 26 July 2007 19:43

he does?

I must have missed it.

Razz  Bitter? I won't be going there...

bitter??? hardly

Well I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused... as someone once said.

Smile  (that's all I could do)
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

pg666

« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2007, 05:56:21 PM »

Quote:

metal and hard-rock records are becoming so homogeneous. everyone is using the same drum samples and amps. the two bands greg mentioned (Mastodon and Pantera) actually have a recognizable sound compared to most of the crap i hear when i flip my sirius to the hardattack, octane or buzzsaw channels.

yep, but on the flipside these types of bands often have cartoonish expectations that don't always translate in an 'organic' recording environment. see: the bands with 3 downtuned guitarists and a drummer playing blast beats the whole time. i know metal bands who practice with their own PA and drum triggers. i think it's pretty silly having a $1,500 drumset triggering 16 bit samples into Peavey speakers, but to each his own..

the reason those type of metal records done with Albini (Zao, High on Fire, Bloodlet) sound so distinctive is because literally NO one who works in that genre records like that. hearing a metal record with actual drums on it is unfortunately rare.

RSettee

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2007, 01:23:51 PM »

wwittman wrote on Thu, 26 July 2007 19:45

RSettee wrote on Mon, 23 July 2007 00:30

..., as much as he really just stays out of the way. As far as i've been told and what he's said, he leaves alot of the fussing up to the band and just records them....

I do believe that he's admitted that he has a certain sonic imprint, though he really just goes in and gives bands what they want, rather than some producer suggesting alot of things. ...

yeah. doesn't it SUCK when the producer actually tries to HELP the band?

Haha, yes! Seriously though, his approach seems to cater to the underground/ indie mentality of leaving things as sparse and "live" sounding as possible (this being ironic, because Albini is a huge Zep fan, and you'd assume him to have an elitist attitude towards them). I wouldn't recommend his approach for every band--Butch Vig is a much better choice, he usually gets the most commercially out of bands, while retaining their edge, but then again, those bands are after that from him. I could swear that Vig got Albini on Chainsaw Kittens' "Flipped Out In Singapore"....

Getting back to the general discussion, the first record that Albini worked on that created a big buzz (he worked on records previous), was the Pixies stuff. Bands went after him to sound like that, and in Steve's case, he often had bands that were doing a similar style, musically (ie: the whole Scratch Acid, Rapeman, Jesus Lizard, and Urge Overkill--yes i'm serious! They used to be an abrasive artpunk noise act for the first 5 years of their existence, which Albini recorded them on). So in fairness, he often had bands that were using the same gear, playing the same way, looking for the same techniques that he got on certain records--you know, and the next band trying to be the Pixies, etc.

In fairness to Steve, he works mostly with rock bands, and let's face it, alot of people play through the same equipment, the same Marshall equipment, same Big Muff pedals etc. So it's kind of hard to capture a band's "unique sound" when they're using the same equipment (you could say the same about Jack Endino...half the bands he was working with were using Big Muffs, like Mudhoney, early Nirvana, Nebula, Fluid, etc...so alot of them end up sounding the same, tonally).

Really, honestly check out Dirty Three's "Ocean Songs". You simply need to hear that in order to realize what i'm talking about. Steve captured the space on that record beautifully. It's arguably one of the most defining "audiophile" recordings that I own, and I use it to test out the limits and accuracy of stereos. It's a a beautiful, cathartic album that truly captures a sense of space in the recording. I'll try to post a track of the album somewhere so that it can be heard. I'd say that's his most underrated album--I don't usually hear people recommending it. There's tons of peaks and valleys and dynamic and room sound on it. When he's not working with bands that have the same equipment, he can really expand, IMHO.

Aren't the bricks in Steve's studio worth something insane to buy them? It's some rare terracotta or something. Though he's done some inferior sessions, I always respect what he's doing in theory, because he always tends to aim for something more, with the tons of mics that he uses, to the bricks, to the rooms, theory, etc.

dconstruction

« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2007, 01:50:05 PM »

Funny you should mention Chainsaw Kittens.

Going to see Tyson Meade play with local Dallas band Red Monroe tonight.  Red Monroe's quite excited.

http://www.myspace.com/redmonroe
http://www.myspace.com/chainsawkittensrock

L

pg666

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2007, 03:04:57 PM »

Quote:

Aren't the bricks in Steve's studio worth something insane to buy them? It's some rare terracotta or something.

adobe in half, regular brick/cinderblock in the other half.

granted it's probably expensive to ship that stuff from Arizona or whatever, but it's not like a genie sprinkled fairy dust on them or something. this was the kind of stuff Greg was talking about..

i also doubt bands like Rapeman and Scratch Acid were trying to sound like the Pixies..

RSettee

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2007, 04:14:30 PM »

dconstruction wrote on Thu, 02 August 2007 12:50

Funny you should mention Chainsaw Kittens.

Going to see Tyson Meade play with local Dallas band Red Monroe tonight.  Red Monroe's quite excited.

http://www.myspace.com/redmonroe
http://www.myspace.com/chainsawkittensrock

L

Tyson is playing a solo set, or? I know that he was a teacher in Singapore or something. Now there's a band that should have made it--"Pop Heiress" is just deadly, from the production, to the execution, to best of all--the songs. It's a trip down 70's memory lane--punk, powerpop, glam, Bowie, Pistols, T-Rex, Cheap Trick. Great voice, unique style. I wish they had continued the direction that they had going on "Pop Heiress" for longer, even though the albums after that are okay.

RSettee

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2007, 04:22:28 PM »

pg666 wrote on Thu, 02 August 2007 14:04

i also doubt bands like Rapeman and Scratch Acid were trying to sound like the Pixies..

True. I think one half of the bands that he was working with were going for that Pixies sound, and the other half were going for the Rapeman/ Scratch Acid/ Jesus Lizard at any given time. The reason why I think that the Pixies album sounds great (as opposed to Slint's "Tweez", which is quite flat), is because the Pixies albums were major label ones, which undoubtedly got bigger budgets and more time to work on them for. I think that some of Steve's albums are dependent on the band's budgets and time--the time that they have to make the album, vs. Steve's time that he has booked by other bands that want to work with him. Like us all, there's only so much that you can do in so much time...but i've heard from other bands and in Steve's own words that he's helped bands out, like the Didjits, for next to nothing.

NelsonL

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2007, 05:28:12 PM »

Rsettee, I think you have the wrong idea about Steve's work with the Pixies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfer_Rosa

Budget = $11,500

Days = 10

Label = 4AD (No Elektra yet, not a major)

I remember cassette copies that just said 4AD/Rough Trade, so this part I know for certain is true. It was re-released by Elektra later on.

Anyway, I'm staying out of the debate-- just wanted to clarify that point.

Also, Tweez and Pod are the same drummer FWIW.

pg666

« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2007, 06:57:42 PM »

Quote:

Also, Tweez and Pod are the same drummer FWIW.

yep. Britt Walford="Mike Hunt" (schoolgirl giggle)

RSettee

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2007, 12:37:17 AM »

I don't think that there's anything really overly negative about this. It's a pretty good discussion, I think. J never said that Albini was a talentless hack, he was just saying that sometimes Albini's intentions outweigh the results. I think it would get pretty boring if all we did was just agree on what Steve did.

Aside from his technical merits or demerits, Steve has some pretty weird opinions, and I think it's hard to tell what he's saying just to rile people up, and what he truly means. And sort of like where this thread has gone, he's sort of achieved that--I think that he always sort of maintains a bit of a controversial persona, because even that has sort of created a bit of a mystique about him, you know, "does he actually mean that? Or is he just being purposely difficult again", hahaa.

Quote:

Rsettee, I think you have the wrong idea about Steve's work with the Pixies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfer_Rosa

Budget = $11,500

Days = 10

Label = 4AD (No Elektra yet, not a major)

I remember cassette copies that just said 4AD/Rough Trade, so this part I know for certain is true. It was re-released by Elektra later on.

Yeah? Hmm. I was wondering if 4AD was with a major yet by that time, but I think it ended up being one of the most popular of Steve's then small career. It's quite possible that the Pixies may have been alot more organized and musically with it than most of the other bands that he worked with at that time--it's certainly true of the Pixies in general at that time, that they were exceptionally great for an underground act for that time.

Steve did do excellent work on those records, because the flipside in the underground was that you had very flat recordings from punk/ indie bands, like Husker Du (terribly flat, actually), the "SST sound", Dischord, etc. Steve really brought a sense of audiophilia to those recordings, and I think that what most fans were reacting to was that the Pixies sounded that much better than the average indie band. Which, in neither The Pixies nor Steve's case really mattered who made who sound better (Pixies= great songs, tight act, Steve= great recording techniques), they really both worked in tandem. Hell, they sounded better than most major label bands at that time--because it was a really in your face sound, without being really overprocessed in those days of horrible gated drums and long tail reverbs that really dated recordings (again, see SST Records' production which sounds absolutely anemic today. I love those bands and the songs, but Spot really needed an actual set of ears at those studios). I mean, that's why those Pixies records stand up well even by today's standards, because they elevated the sound and possibilities from smaller budgets. When I mentioned "big budget", I thought that they did the album for 20-30 grand (big budget for a small indie label/ band), but actually, it being just over 11 grand really emphasizes what Steve really did for bands and his own rep, at that point.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 18 queries.