R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: auroa's vs. PT 192's  (Read 2749 times)

j.hall

auroa's vs. PT 192's
« on: July 30, 2007, 04:58:31 PM »

well, i think i just heard the biggest difference between my converters.

brought up an old session to work on.  something i had done on the 192's a while ago.

i just spent 30 minutes re-working the top end of the mix.

i had suspected the aurora's to be much smoother and present up top, but never had a glarring indicator i was right.

i've spent enough time away from the 192's and noticed my top boosting to be much less.....this was proof.

just thought i'd share.

curious if the aurora is overly bright, or the 192's were just dark.

the bottom end is tighter on the aurora's as well.  not bigger, just tighter.  feels a lot easier to focus the bottom.

mixwell

Re: auroa's vs. PT 192's
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »

Very True,

The Aurora certainly has much smoother frequency response overall when compared to the 192. I would say that with the Lynx, you get a much more accurate representation of what is actually going on.

I found the Digi 192 to be extremely cold and harsh sounding, at least to my ears. Many people have been making good use of the 192 as a high end converter/door stop!!

peace
mixwell

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »

i have noticed the mids aren't quite like they were with the 192's.  not sure if the clearer top end has something to do with that, or if the box itself has a slight scoop in the 400 - 800 range

Jack Ruston

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 09:38:18 AM »

Well converters, like all bits of gear sound slightly different and your decisions as you work will be affected by the converter. This is why comparisons of any gear on the same material are slightly strange...If I mix with a 192 I will mix in a way that I think sounds best. If I then change the converter I will be slightly 'off' what I thought the mix should be. It might be an improvement in sonics but my judgement of that improvement might be clouded by the unwelcome spectral change. The most pronounced example of this sort of thing might be swapping one bus compressor out for another.

So I'd borrow the demo unit and work a project or two with it. See how you feel about it then.

Either will allow you to make a good record.

I love my Aurora because it has more ins and outs than the 192 and it's much smaller and lighter in my mobile rig. I like the sound of the Aurora very much but I can make a good record with either.

J
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 18 queries.