R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HEDD 192 VS Apogee PSX 100  (Read 5140 times)

Sevendogs

HEDD 192 VS Apogee PSX 100
« on: July 04, 2007, 12:43:53 PM »

How much improvement will I get if I switch my converter from PSX 100 to HEDD 192 ?

I am currently mixing OTB by outputting from Mix Plus on my Mackie.

brett

Re: HEDD 192 VS Apogee PSX 100
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 03:22:39 PM »

you know what it's like when the sun comes up in the morning. Kinda like that!

What you hear comming out of the mackie will be captured much more accurately. I might also recommend instead you look into getting an apogee rosetta 800, or possibly a apogee AD16x and DA16x connected to your PT rig via  x-digi-mix cards. This way you have good conversion comming OTB to the mackie and back for capturing the mix. PT converters...888 etc are just not up to par with what music is being recorded through and played back on these days.  And the psx 100 is a converter that never got much praise even when it was new. they just don't sound good!

Sevendogs

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:44:32 AM »

So Rosetta 800 is good but PSX 100 is not that good right ?

Thanks for the reply.  I will look more into Rosetta 800.

Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool

brett

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 05:25:59 PM »

Yes, the rosetta 800 and 200 sound a lot like the Hedd, but without the tonal and sound shaping controls used by ME's. The AD16x and DA16X sound a little bit better than the rosetta 800/200 IMO. you are already summing analog and probably would not want to add any more harmonics to the mix. I would leave that for the ME. So the Hedd with only two channels is kind of a bottleneck for the way you work.

Rosetta 800 works great as a front end to PT and it sounds great. nothing like the psx or the first generation rosetta.  i use it in place of a PT interface. PT sees it as an 888 when you use the optional x-digi-mix card. The rosetta is a little more expensive than a hedd when you factor in the cables, and the digi card, you're looking  at around $4000.00. But you have 8 channels of very high quality I/O and digital options. For 16 channels of I/O go with the ADx16, DA16X combo. about $6k for that option.  

just some ideas. If you like the hedd, get a Hedd. I just wanted to let you know there are some high quality apogee options designed specifically for PT and multi-track DAW users.  if and when you upgrade to HD or any new PT system or native DAW, you simply swap the digi-card for the newer one and your hardware I/O migrates with you.

Regards,
brett  

Deep White

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 09:08:29 AM »

This is something I'm not too sure about.

(1) When the Rosetta series was just released, some of my friends compared them with their PSX-100SE.  The second day they returned the Rosetta.  And those are the people that got very good ears.  Yet I wasn't there so I can't say "I heard that too."

(2) A good friend of my, who is a great local producer and songwriter, replaced his apogee with HEDD 192 one or two years ago.  Recently he bought a second HEDD 192.  Again, I never heard him working with it so I can't say that's what I think too.  Yet again this is someone that really knows what he's doing.

Yet I've heard people saying the opposite all the time.  This is really one of those confusing topics.  I can only suggest that you try to demo them yourself.
Arys Chien
Song Writer & Producer
Deep White Studio
Taipei, Taiwan

brett

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 02:10:08 PM »

Deep White wrote on Mon, 09 July 2007 14:08

This is something I'm not too sure about.

(1) When the Rosetta series was just released, some of my friends compared them with their PSX-100SE.  The second day they returned the Rosetta.  And those are the people that got very good ears.  Yet I wasn't there so I can't say "I heard that too."

(2) A good friend of my, who is a great local producer and songwriter, replaced his apogee with HEDD 192 one or two years ago.  Recently he bought a second HEDD 192.  Again, I never heard him working with it so I can't say that's what I think too.  Yet again this is someone that really knows what he's doing.

Yet I've heard people saying the opposite all the time.  This is really one of those confusing topics.  I can only suggest that you try to demo them yourself.

As I explained the rosetta 800/200 are not based on the same units as the first generation rosetta. They were completely new technology. The first rosetta sounds more like your psx.I think I have given you sound, accurate, advice. Let your ears demo them and decide for yourself.

But only having two channels of I/O to monitor and capture through using a HEDD from the mackie is not going to improve the over all quality of the product if you are still feeding the mixer from the PT converters ie:888 etc. Not sure how many channels you need. But having maybe one DA16x, and a HEDD might work for you if you only track two tracks at a time.

I am just saying consider replacing the PT I/O with apogee even if you want to capture the master mix through a HEDD.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 16 queries.