R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZZ Top: Tejas  (Read 12691 times)

Mike P

Re: ZZ Top: Tejas
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2007, 10:08:26 PM »

"Probably not" referring to the Mu-Tron Bi-Phaser or "Probably not" as in we'll never know?

Or both?  Very Happy

RSettee

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2007, 10:20:02 PM »

My vote on the effect on "I'm Bad..." is leslie speaker. Or some sort of rotating speaker effect. To my ears, it sounds like it has a circular volume proximity effect at times. I could be totally wrong, but i'm hearing distance on it--Billy's voice is doing a slight volume shift, but it doesn't sound like volume fading, it sounds like he's moving to and from the mic (or the effect that it was run through). You don't hear distance with a phaser, chorus or flanging.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MOTPRO3TM

Or some facsimile of.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2007, 10:48:52 PM »

Phasing is a different sound than flanging.  IMHO, this is definitely phasing.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

RSettee

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2007, 11:06:25 PM »

Do you like 12 step phasing, JJ?

Tim Gilles

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2007, 11:16:08 PM »

Terry.

You made "Tres Hombres".

Dude.

One of the greatest American rock records ever.

Nobody can take that away from you.

I could die happy today if I made that record.

No shit. I'm fairly sure I may never get a chance to be a part of that kinda magic in my career.

Fucking BEYOND depressed here.

And I only read page one of the thread.

Tim "Rumblefish" Gilles

compasspnt

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2007, 11:44:48 PM »

Thanks Tim.

That was fun to work on.

Tres Hombres one of my all time fave albums as well.

Especially with the original (proper) mixes.

Best regards.

littlehat

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2007, 12:16:02 AM »

I'll second the Leslie theory.

Vobratone perhaps?

Push the RED button!

J.J. Blair

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2007, 01:29:33 AM »

A rotating speaker is chorus.  It doesn't sound like chorus to me.  There's some of that "jet" sound that I associated with phasing.  Phasing can totally make that effect that Robert is hearing that reminds him of a rotating speaker.  What doesn't sound like a rotating speaker is the lack of doppler, and the jet swoosh that you CAN hear.

If it by some chance is a rotating speaker, then there's a phased vocal mixed in.  It's either phaser into the speaker mixed with dry, or phased vocal mixed with speaker.  But I'm not hearing the doppler.  (Mind you, I'm listening on my laptop.)
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

John Ivan

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2007, 01:34:04 AM »

All I can say is, The early Top records were HUGE in my life personally. Thanks to my older Brother. The first time I heard that band, it was "Nasty Dog's and Funky Kings". It flipped me out. I went and found the rest.

Billy is one of my very favorite players. Terry, making those records must have been an amazing experience. Good for you man, and thanks!!

The later stuff didn't excite me so much but, I dig "Under pressure". Billy blew some great stuff on that and I dig the Lyric. I'm happy the boys were given/worked toward the gift of ANOTHER set of successful records. They deserve it in my opinion. If hot chicks, fast cool old cars and fuzzy Gitters got them there in part, so be it.

It seems we ride this business and it rarely rides us. {I mean like a horse ;-}}
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

John Ivan

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2007, 01:35:29 AM »

littlehat wrote on Sat, 07 July 2007 00:16

I'll second the Leslie theory.

Vobratone perhaps?

I think it's the Phase Shifter on a Peavey Classic.. um,, never mind. I'll get me coat..!$%^&*(
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 19 queries.