R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: ZZ Top: Tejas  (Read 12605 times)

littlehat

Re: ZZ Top: Tejas
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 02:10:54 AM »

I can't read?

Um... the only thing you know about me is that I can read and write.

Early ZZ fans are like a cult??? of around 6million who all bought records and eight tracks of the original mixes.

The later records aren't widely appreciated??? Except by the 15million people who bought 'em.

Terry can defend himself.

He's chosen not to, in the interest of being gentlemanly. Why is his business... but he was there.

Paul makes bad albums. Dylan... you name it.
Are their morals at issue?
I think it's counterproductive hyperbole to comment on someone's morals unless it's someone you know.

This is not an attack on anybody.

But I really must object to anybody but those with their names on the baggage picking things up off the luggage carousel.

Push the RED button!

Ryan Massey

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 04:09:57 AM »

Terry,
That sounds like a nightmare.  I am always saddened to hear about such things.  Less because of compromised artistry, and more because of compromised friendship.  

It is almost always unwise to comment on others experiences in the music industry.  I've seen kids self righteously slash the tires of a band's van, because they thought the band had made unscrupulous decisions.  What did those kids know?  Nothing.  Best guys ever, treated my band like kings and were deserving of all the respect in the world.  
Shit happens, and the chances are, we will never know half the shit that goes down.  Go easy.  Cheers,
Ryan

=www.sharkbitestudios.com=

Brian Kehew

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 07:21:39 AM »

It not of the same cloth as teh early records, but "Rhythmeen" is a damn good record. Crunchy guitars, great songs, almost no synth. Terrible drum bits (not played by Frank, btw) but pretty cool...
Relax and float downstream...

RSettee

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 11:29:01 AM »

littlehat wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 01:10

Early ZZ fans are like a cult??? of around 6million who all bought records and eight tracks of the original mixes.

You still can't read. I said that the original mixes to NEW generations are like a cult band, though I worded it in a way where it didn't exactly spell that out. Unfortunately, I do have to spell things out to you, and that's also part of my contention here, in that I don't like people arguing my points when they didn't comprehend what I was arguing about.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that don't know that they were a no frills band in the early going. The audience since the first 6 albums' heyday has turned into a cult, because last I checked, there weren't alot of vinyl sales for ZZ Top's first record in the last decade. You get me those numbers for vinyl sales and you can prove to me that the demand for the original mixes isn't somehwat like a cult band. Again, go back and read. You still can't do it.

Quote:

The later records aren't widely appreciated??? Except by the 15million people who bought 'em.

Tell me this--how much airplay do post Eliminator records get? The classic rock station here plays absolutely zero (sans for the occasional Afterburner song). There's a reason for that. Just because people buy albums doesn't mean they're appreciated--the used copies that I see of ZZ cds are all post Eliminator, and they often sit there for awhile.

Quote:

But I really must object to anybody but those with their names on the baggage picking things up off the luggage carousel.

I personally object to people taking my words out of context. I asked you to quote me in the past; you still haven't done it, preferring to rely on your interpretation of what I wrote. And if you're feeling the need to correct me. For some reason, you always seem to call me out on this board, or feel the need to correct me. Please stop it or I will have to get ornery with you on the same board. I do not like people making assumptions about me that they don't know--and you got into an argument that wasn't yours, nor one that you properly read nor understood going into it-- nor do I like people telling me what my right as a music fan is. If I want to say that ZZ Top eroded their musical integrity (and note that I am saying MUSICAL INTEGRITY, not PERSONAL integrity) by putting out subpar albums that are untrue to their roots, that's my right. I pay for the albums, I have the right to my own opinion. Perhaps I was unclear that I meant musical integrity in the onset of what I consider so totally a non-argument, not personal integrity, but that's my right, man. Don't tell me what to think about my own tastes or beliefs.

For the sake of everyone here, if you excessively need to correct me, please do it via PM.

I apologize to all reading this, but I don't like people misquoting me, or twisting my words around. Or telling me what I can or can't think. I feel that they traded their integrity for the almighty buck, and i'm not the first, only--or last--person to think this. You can say what you want, my opinion won't change on that. My original posts in this thread were meant to point out that they have a great backcatalogue in the 70's, and it's a shame that there are misconceptions and half truths regarding what that original catalogue actually is.

Let's get back to enjoying the ZZ, okay guys?

compasspnt

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 11:55:21 AM »

Well, this thread took a turn to the left, and I wasn't sure what to say or do.

Firstly, let's stop all personal bickering on the threads.  Again.

Secondly, there are no issues of a band's moral integrity attached to these albums.  I am still friends with everyone involved in the making of these, and you should be as well.

The disappointment that I harbour for those despicable remixed digitisations is not against any one person, or against the band itself, but rather against the climate that engendered them in the first place.  The biggest anger should be directed towards the cretins at WB that allowed it all to be released.

Thirdly, the band itself at that time would have had almost zero chance of stopping those mixes, or of making any other critical release decision, because those were all handled by management.  As the band did later obtain more "power," the musical content quality decreased, and the sales followed right behind...lagging or none.

By whatever coincidence, when I worked with the band: great music, hopefully good sounds, huge sales, and great success and popularity...and money.

When I left:

Fourthly, they/we did not pander to the MTV generation, they/we helped to create it.  Just as we helped to create the electronification of rock music.  The fact that those both turned into ugly hairy beasts was not what we envisioned however.

Those first Tim Newman videos were groundbreaking, funny, clever, and just plain cool.  They helped fuel the rise of MTV. And they, coupled with the disguises and usage of emblematic devices, turned some fairly non-handsome, fairly older guys into 'cartoon character rock stars,' enabling them to extend their career into new fan bases that would otherwise have been unavailable to the band.

Let us pray for a world in which peace may flourish, and original proper mixes may become available without being squashed and brightened to death.

Cult or no.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »

Terry, about those questions I asked a page ago, like the phasing on the vocal...

???
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

RSettee

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 01:20:44 PM »

Thanks for the clarification, Terry. Apologies to you and anyone else that I may have offended. When I stated my original thoughts here, I truly didn't think that anyone would take offense. It wasn't meant to offend--nor was anything else. My main thing I guess, behind it, was that I was totally confused as to who approved the remixes--the band, you, the label--I did not know who was behind it, and assumed that the band was. If they didn't have much control, then I guess that there was not alot that they could have done.

compasspnt

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 03:30:13 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 12:31

Terry, about those questions I asked a page ago, like the phasing on the vocal...

???

Yes, I conveniently "forgot" to answer the phaser question.

I have been asked that many times, but it is one secret that still has not been divulged.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 06:00:13 PM »

You mean it's not that the Eventide you gave me?  LOL.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

littlehat

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 07:24:40 PM »

Alrighty.

Let's move on.

JJ - sounds like the real deal... Hand Flanging?

I've only know a few guys who did it

and man I should have gotten a couple lessons.

Push the RED button!

Mike P

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 07:39:02 PM »

Just set a drink on the flange like Andy Johns!   Laughing

J.J. Blair

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 08:56:55 PM »

It doesn't sound like tape flanging to me, but I think the Eventide Phaser sounds better when you adjust it by hand.
studio info

compasspnt

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 09:50:14 PM »

It is not tape flanging.

Mike P

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 09:52:42 PM »

When I used to cover that song in junior high, I'd use a Mu-Tron Bi-Phaser on my voice but I don't think that was what was used, at least not with my settings (or my kiddie voice!).

Because of that, I always thought it was a flanger of some sort.  But I guess we'll never know...

compasspnt

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »

Probably not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 19 queries.