R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kelly Clarkson Strikes Back !!  (Read 14441 times)

hargerst

Kelly Clarkson Strikes Back !!
« on: June 30, 2007, 10:23:36 PM »

This is wild - if I'm reading it right.

Kelly Clarkson has had to cancel her tour because of poor ticket sales, and she's embroiled in a fight with Clive Davis over her choice to include a lot of self-penned songs on her new album, and Clive has withdrawn some support of her new album.  Is the American Idol star destined to go down in flames, even after selling 11,000,000 albums? Will Clive drop her, if this new album isn't a mega-hit?  Nope, Kelly hears a coup.

She gets her friend Reba McIntyre to perform with her on Crossroads, and picks up a bazillion Reba fans in the process.  The big hit song that night?  "Because of You" - written by Kelly Clarkson.  Reba gushes over what a great song it is.  And tells Kelly at the end of the show that Kelly has to come to Nashville more often.

Did Kelly just tell Clive (in a one hour TV show) to fuck off, leave her songwriting alone, and invite him to drop her from his label if he wants to?  She's now in with the Nashville crowd.

If that was her intent, it was brilliantly done, and it sent Clive a message he can't ignore.

Plus, it was one hell of a show; two tremendously talented singers who obviously love and respect each other.

This show was a coup for Kelly and the message was obvious.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Trumpetman2

Re: Kelly Clarkson Strikes Back !!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 09:05:22 AM »

Harvey:  All that is fine exept for ONE little thing - "I've heard you sing Ms. Clarkson....and you ain't no Reba!" Laughing Personally, I think she sucks...but that's only MY opinion!

hargerst

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 09:59:45 AM »

Watch the Crossroads show on CMT; Reba apparently doesn't share your opinion of Kelly Clarkson.  There's a genuine bond between them.

Dave Martin

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »

Harvey, as much as I'd like to think that a woman that young could pull off that sort of power play without LOOKING like she's putting one over on the record label, I don't know that it's possible....

But I'll keep a good thought.

hargerst

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »

I don't know if it was deliberate, but it's definitely a coup, none the less. And the timing of the show is perfect.  Reba's glowing endorsement of Kelly Clarkson sends a clear message to Clive; If he doesn't want Kelly, the country community does. Clive Davis may not like Kelly's writing, but Reba does.

ShakesTheClown

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »

I watched the first 2 or 3 songs of that show and had to turn it off. The lack of dynamics in Kelly's singing was grating at best.  

Just because you can sing loud and powerful doesn't mean that it should be done that way all the time.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »

ShakesTheClown wrote on Mon, 02 July 2007 01:12

Just because you can sing (insert whatever singing style here) doesn't mean that it should be done that way all the time.

And there is the problem with almost all of the recent "pop divas"...

One trick ponies.

Actually...I can't think of any female singer in recent years who that statement doesn't apply to.

Someone teach these trollops diversity.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

rankus

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 01:39:15 PM »

Well, I'm with Harvey on this one... Kelly is a super star, with or without ole Clive wutz his name...

Go Kelly go!

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 08:11:45 PM »

hargerst wrote on Sun, 01 July 2007 11:33

...If he doesn't want Kelly, the country community does. Clive Davis may not like Kelly's writing, but Reba does.

But RM is not the Nashville "country community."  That would be about a handful of powerfyl producers/execs (often they are both).

If "they" even took her, she probably may not stay there very long.

Trumpetman2

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 08:56:53 PM »

ShakesTheClown wrote on Sun, 01 July 2007 13:12

I watched the first 2 or 3 songs of that show and had to turn it off. The lack of dynamics in Kelly's singing was grating at best.  

Just because you can sing loud and powerful doesn't mean that it should be done that way all the time.

Ladies & gentlemen of the Jury...I rest my case.......!

hargerst

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »

I'd like to hear from somebody that watched the whole show and still had that opinion.

compasspnt

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 01:15:54 PM »

Personally, I couldn't watch it if I tried.  I absolutely cannot stand Reba's accent.

ericswan

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 01:48:05 AM »

compasspoint wrote:
Quote:

But RM is not the Nashville "country community." That would be about a handful of powerfyl producers/execs (often they are both).

Perhaps Reba was so gung ho about Kelly because she has just signed with her husband Narvel Blackstock and Starstruck Entertainment

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/0/18154/16/895/ #msg_18154
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." Oscar Wilde

Sacred Heart Studio
www.sacredheartstudio.net
www.myspace.com/sacredheartstudio

hargerst

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 11:35:39 AM »

Ahh, this is all starting to make some sense now.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 01:16:31 AM »

I was just about to chime in with the same opinion.  That Oklahoma lisp which stretches single syllables into 3 bugs the hell out of me.

And, I almost universally despise Reba's song choices.

Not a ringing endorsement in my book.

mshilarious

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 12:05:55 AM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Sun, 01 July 2007 12:21

Actually...I can't think of any female singer in recent years who that statement doesn't apply to.

While we're talking about Kellys, I am rather partial to Kelly Sweet.  By "rather partial", I mean "wildly in love with"  Embarassed

Secular_Tool

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 07:15:09 PM »

Howdy All,

After five years of lurking, I had to register to respond to the "Reba's Accent" issue.

Reba does not have an accent that derives from any part of Oklahoma. I grew up in Tulsa, have lived for 20 years in the OKC area, and have about half of my extended family down in SE OK where Reba is from. Nobody I've ever met talks like she does.

If I've figured it correctly, Reba's accent is about 100% affectation. For all her down home Country cred, Reba is not particularly down, home, or Country.

This was a huge mystery to me for years then I read that Reba's hero growing up was Dolly Parton.

Shazaam! That's who she sounds like--a drag queen imitation of Dolly Parton.

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 09:12:02 PM »

Thanks for that  Kelly.

Exactly what I thought.

Makes it all the worse.

Hank Alrich

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 11:27:22 PM »

Secular_Tool wrote on Tue, 24 July 2007 16:15

If I've figured it correctly, Reba's accent is about 100% affectation. For all her down home Country cred, Reba is not particularly down, home, or Country.

She does come from a line of genuine cowboy people. This is from the imdb bio:

"Her father, Clark McEntire (1927- ), was world steer roping champion for the years 1957-1958 & 1961. He was inducted into the Rodeo Hall of Fame of the Rodeo Historical Society (a support group of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum) in 1988.

Her grandfather, John Wesley McEntire (1897-1976 ), was world steer roping champion for 1934 and was also a calf roper. He was inducted into the Rodeo Hall of Fame of the Rodeo Historical Society (a support group of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum) in 1984."

As a younger woman she rode in barrel races, and before you laugh, I'll ask if you've ever done it.

Chances are she started out a whole lot more real country than many posting here.

Secular_Tool

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 02:50:48 PM »

Not to be argumentative, but Reba's persona as exemplified by her accent is as artificial as Tara Reid's boobs.

But, the idea that her persona is anything less than 100% authentic shouldn’t be such a shock. This is show business after all. I'm not saying she's a liar or that she's totally invented--I really can't speak to that. I can speak to the issue of her accent and how it isn’t like anything I’ve ever heard coming from a native Oklahoman.

I'm not even saying that it reflects on her as a person. I've got a good pal that's on her road crew and he seems to think the world of her.

As far as her Family is concerned, I'm don't doubt the stuff listed by Hank is true. But, it doesn't speak to the authenticity of her accent. In fact, one of the puzzlers about this is that I’ve heard members of Reba’s family speak before and they don’t sound like her.

Instead of enduring a lengthy description of the various linguistic nuances of Oklahoma, just listen to other prominent Oklahoma performers and see if you still think Reba sounds like an Oklahoman.

Start with Carrie Underwood who comes from Checotah which is the same basic linguistic region as Reba. Does she sound like Reba? I don’t think so. Actually, she doesn’t sound much like people from Checotah either, but that’s not unusual if you come from an educated family which Carrie does.

How about Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, Wayne Coyne, Vince Gill? These guys are all emblematic of the variety of accents around central OK none of which sound like Reba.

Go back a generation to Byron Berline, Leon Russell, Roger Miller, Hoyt Axton, Mason Williams, Jimmy Webb, Mary Kaye Place, or a ways back further to Woody Guthrie, Jim Garner, or Will Rogers. Once again, there’s a range of accents, but they all sound like people from Oklahoma.

Reba does not.

That’s all I’m saying. The accent seems to be part of her persona that is invented. If Reba didn’t invent it, she has a very odd speech impediment that she’s made work for her.

I've not barrel raced but my wife did in her younger days and she has about zero cowboy cred. My Father, an insurance executive in OKC, was a team roper. He grew up with horses back when they actually used them on his family farm and he had serious cowboy in him although is the least redneck of anybody I know.

This moneyed aspect is fairly typical of horse people in OK. Horses, unlike dogs, are a serious luxury that have only superflous utility on around actual cattle.

I grew up around my Grandfather's ranch and did most every cowboy job that exists, none of which involved horses. Horses are still used around cattle but only as expensive anachronisms. Tractors/utility vehicles, pickups, and a good herd dog is all one needs for managing cattle.

But, this is irrelevant as well to Reba's accent or her credibility. I don't doubt she did rodeo and all that other stuff and that's something, I guess.

But, her accent embarrasses me because it's so artificial and over the top.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 12:18:51 AM »

You might have a point there.  I've always thought of Reba's accent as an "Okie lisp", and felt that Tim McGraw's accent cemented the stereotype.

That is, until I learned that Tim McGraw is from Louisiana.

Oh, well.

Whatever the source of Reba's accent, it annoys the hell out of me.  I'll try to stop blaming it on Oklahoma, though, even though I was born and bred in Missouri and did my graduate work at UT-Austin.  (In other words, I'm not a fan of the Sooner Nation.)

Secular_Tool

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 07:07:34 AM »

It all comes down to football, doesn't it?

But, what mic pre would you use to either bring out or bring down the lisp in an Oklahoman?

Dave Martin

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »

Secular_Tool wrote on Wed, 25 July 2007 13:50

But, her accent embarrasses me because it's so artificial and over the top.

I guess my best suggestion would be to get over it; if you don't like listening to Reber, you can fix it (power switches and volume knobs, you know...).

It's not like this is new, after all - an example that comes to mind is Doctor John - I've been around New Orleans people for years (and spent a bit of time there), and have never heard anyone who has the accent that Dr. John has. But it's endearing and memorable. Or the pseudo-Compton accent that a number of rappers use - even those from the east coast. Ooh - I thought of another one - Remember the Sir Douglas Quintet? A Texan (Doug Sahm) copping an English accent because the British Invasion was in full swing...

A related note is the tendency to try and hide regional accents once you enter a wider world of communications - the BBC accent is a prime example, but any number of actors, musicians and politicians have done the same thing.

I'd guess that your dislike of Reber is deepter than just her accent (not that there's anything wrong with that), but I can say that on the few occasions I've talked with her one on one, her accent wasn't nearly as distracting to me as it appears to have been for you.

My only complaint is the number of extraneous vowels that she puts in her songs... "When whoever's in New England's through with yeeeeeeooooooouuuuuuaaaoo..." But that didn't appear to hurt her record sales...

Joe Black

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 11:45:59 AM »

Reba's accent is similar to the hard twang (think Loretta Lynn and the aforementioned Dolly) of south eastern/central Kentucky and eastern Tennessee, though maybe a bit more clipped - you might want to stay out of the region of the US where the Cumberland Mountains meet the Great Smokies, as that's mostly what you'll hear coming out of peoples mouths.

I don't listen to Reba, but Loretta? yum, I'll have some more of that.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »

Maybe Reba went to the same dialect coach as George W. Bush, who despite his white-shoe Connecticut upbringing does his best to convince us with his affected drawl that he's a hick from Midland, Texas.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Vampeiyre

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 05:03:04 PM »

quote]
One trick ponies.

Cheers,
Tim[/quote]

Want to hear a good female artist? Check out Carina Round. I'd suggest starting with her second album "The Disconnection". Check out the tunes Motel 74, Sit Tight, and Elegy.

That's my suggestion anyway Smile
"I had hoped he might become a musician, but instead, he is a drummer." - Terry Manning, on the subject of his son.

Dave Martin

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 08:01:12 PM »

Vampeiyre wrote on Fri, 24 August 2007 16:03

quote]
One trick ponies.

Cheers,
Tim

Well, I'm working tonight with a female singer who does a cabaret gig doing show tunes, a classic rock gig (think Zeppelin, and has sung both country tunes and old time hymns for me. The female singer I work with on Tuesday has sung on records for everyone from Don McLean and Lee Greenwood to ZZ Top and Sam Moore (of Sam and Dave). My lovely wife just released a western swing record, while her last project was mostly standards. Tonight's gig for her is primarily bluegrass and classic country, while tomorrow night's gig will most likely be mostly R&B, disco and classic rock.

Are these trollops diverse enough for you?

Dave Martin

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 08:11:10 PM »

Vampeiyre wrote on Fri, 24 August 2007 16:03

quote]
    Want to hear a good female artist? Check out Carina Round. I'd suggest starting with her second album "The Disconnection". Check out the tunes Motel 74, Sit Tight, and Elegy.

That's my suggestion anyway Smile

Do these other albums show more of her than the songs on her Myspace page?

tom eaton

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 12:11:43 AM »

Two words...

Joan Osborne

Where's Wittman when you need him?

t

Daniel Farris

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 05:05:53 AM »

Secular_Tool wrote on Wed, 25 July 2007 11:50

In fact, one of the puzzlers about this is that I’ve heard members of Reba’s family speak before and they don’t sound like her.

This reminds me of a question that's been on my mind for about seven years: How does a rich kid from Maine who went to Yale wind up with a shitkicker Texas accent?

His parents don't talk like cowfuckers, and neither do his brothers.

DF

Trumpetman2

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2007, 11:17:33 AM »

Shocked guys, refresh my memory...who was kelly clarkson again..?

stevieeastend

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »

How would you guys rate the accent/interpretation of well known R&B female singers like Beyonce, Ciara, Christina Milian, Nikole Scherzinger etc. in comparison to the already mentioned pop and/or country artists?

Thanks!!

cheers
st
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.