R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: good kick drum mic?  (Read 18013 times)

drummertom

Re: good kick drum mic?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2004, 11:01:42 AM »

I'd second the suggestion of the Soundelux U195.  We put it up outside the front kick head about 1 1/2 ft away in a tunnel.  If we need more "click" we'll add an SM-91 or 421 inside (if there's a hole in the front head) or a 421 or SM57 right off the front head if there's no hole.  Mix the two to taste to get any variety of sounds.

I've been hearing great things about the Audix D6 and might try one of those soon.

Oh yeah, love that pic of the Simmons with the mics in front.  Classic!

Fibes

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2004, 11:20:21 AM »

The D-6 is a must have at the price point... So are the D-30 and D-45 if you have deep pockets for a kick mic. I'm hoping to grab a D-30 soon from a pal, it's minty and sounds kickass.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j_boest

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2004, 03:43:40 PM »

Skwaidu wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 18:42

j_boest wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 12:05

Actually a thorough kick mic shootout would be good to do, Skwai?

So you found your way here too... Good! Smile

Yeah, lets test some... In fact a colleague just called and had an idea: Surround drum sample session... In Kunkkula. That might be fun! Very Happy

I'm in!  Smile
"stupid fuckin' lame-ass don't practice can't read a chart no home since my girl ditched me moron drummers" -Aadvark

otek

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2004, 05:48:47 PM »

[quote title=Skwaidu wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 17:42][quote title=j_boest wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 12:05]Surround drum sample session... In Kunkkula. That might be fun! Very Happy

That sounds dangerous to say the least. Kunkkula??? Hmmm I'll bring some rum, a sleeping bag, a couple of Brauners and my trusty 441.

Drumkit From Hellsinki! Now in 4-D!
Behr*nger - Just say "nein"

- dwoz

Jason Phair

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2004, 12:57:38 AM »

To the irate guy...I tend to go M88.  Often a combination of that and a Beta91.

An incomplete things I've used M88's on:

Kick
Floor Tom (both top and bottom)
Bass Cab
Upright Bass
Cello
Electric Guitar
Acoustic Guitar
Vocals
Djembe
Piano

My drum sounds tend to be pretty standard I think - I don't do nearly the experimenation as I do on say..vocals.  My next project is with a band that I think will be pretty open to some weird shit though.  A few of the ideas I want to try to get crazy ass drum sounds:

D112 on hihat
57 on kick, then throw some gated reverb on it during mixdown

Well, that's all I'm certian I want to try so far.  I might try some minimalist mic'ing as well.  
Jason Phair
Advanced Production Group
Dunkirk, NY
http://www.advancedproductiongroup.com

Formerly:
Sound Services
SUNY Fredonia

Get that fucking thing off my vocal will ya?

Thanks.

Dingo

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2004, 08:22:13 AM »

For close micing the kik drum...a Shure Beta 52, M-88 or an old EV RE-20

Dingo
"This has to be the only industry in the world that has spent the last decade trying to effectively simulate all of the tools that it was told it needed to throw out." - bunnerabb

http://www.backtoback.cd/TIB3.jpg

John Etnier

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2004, 09:29:18 AM »

As far as the original question goes- (I mic inside kicks FWIW) I had a D112 for a while and didn't like it at all. A D6 works wonderfully a lot of the time- at the price point it would really make sense to pick one up: maybe a 421/RE-20 could be added later, since they're so good at other applications. Right now my RE-20 is my fave bottom-snare mic....

Skwaidu

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2004, 11:32:25 AM »

otek wrote on Tue, 27 April 2004 00:48

That sounds dangerous to say the least. Kunkkula??? Hmmm I'll bring some rum, a sleeping bag, a couple of Brauners and my trusty 441.

Drumkit From Hellsinki! Now in 4-D!

Very Happy

Kunkkula = Kallio - Kuninkaala, J
"You Gotta Love The HOMO Stuff!"

http://koti.mbnet.fi/skwaidu/Homomilk.jpg

http://www.backtoback.cd/TIB3.jpg

snaggle

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2004, 09:37:16 PM »

i did an a/b today with three mics and one really dead kick drum.
blue ball horrid, though maybe neat for a lofi on purpose thing
d6, sounded amazing for a rock drum
d112 sounded like shit compared to the d6 even with eq'ing the typical cuts and boosts..

indie

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2004, 03:29:35 AM »

I just used an ATM25 today thru a Dan Alexander pre to API 560 to Radar....it sounded really, really good. Of course the most important thing was the drummer's well tuned 1958 Ludwig kit.
Also had another ATM25 on the floor tom which ruled.
Micah

dirkb

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2004, 01:00:53 PM »

Hmm,

I see a lot of people here not liking the D112. Just wondering, how are you all comparing your kick drum mic's? Solo, just the drums, or with the rest of the mix?

What I like about the D112, most of the times I get it working in the mix, with the bass guitar, without too much trouble...

Greetings,
Dirk

ajcamlet

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2004, 11:33:01 AM »

I suupose we are all talking aobut which mic *generally* works in close mic'd kick drum applications.  Since a birch 18" with a fiberskin is going to sound a whole lot different than a Maple 22" with an acquarian superkick.  

lardie

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2004, 11:56:55 AM »

I can see a Finnish slutz meet and greet on the way :)=
-extreme action metalcore-

crypticglobe

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2004, 02:53:22 PM »

hmmmm.... no mentions to the Shure SM-91? It's a PZM tailored (among other things) specifically for kick.  You guys need to try this thing.  Stick it inside... on a few towels... fairly close to the head.   WHAM!!   VERY nice snap!   Amazingly fast transients.   Very natural low end thud.   Suprisingly little bleed from outside the drum.   I love it for a lot of different sounding kicks.  

And yes.. the drum is by far the most important aspect.  2nd to the PLAYER!  How that guy/girl kicks it is huge.

My 2 cents...  
Steve Lamm
Cryptic Globe Recording
Nashville Club Cubase/Nuendo Host
www.clubcubasenashville.com
www.crypticglobe.com

otek

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2004, 05:44:40 PM »

crypticglobe wrote on Fri, 30 April 2004 20:53

hmmmm.... no mentions to the Shure SM-91?

The 91 can work in combination with a deeper-sounding mic... on its own, it usually comes out too clickity-click, and is way too sterile-sounding IMHO.

Quote:

And yes.. the drum is by far the most important aspect.  2nd to the PLAYER!  How that guy/girl kicks it is huge.

Reminds me of a very early session I did years ago, when this little fact had not yet been brought home fully to me. We had just finished setting up a DW kit, 24" Kick, 14" and 16" toms, with an old Ludwig 60's snare. All new Evans heads. The drummer had not arrived yet, so I got the guitarist (who also played a little drums) to help me soundcheck the kit.

I was moving mics, twiddling EQ, adding compressors, smacking my lips, shaking my head, twiddling some more. In the end I just thought to myself, well, maybe the kit is supposed to sound like this? I simply couldn't make it sound anywhere near as punchy as I heard it in my head.

Finally, the drummer shows up. Says hello to everyone, takes off his jacket, gets his sticks. Sits himself down behind the kit.

You know where this is going, right?

I ended up taking most of the EQ off, and losing 12-15 db of gain. The kit sounded awesome.
Behr*nger - Just say "nein"

- dwoz
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.