R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Millennia Mic Pre's  (Read 23461 times)

Podgorny

Re: Millennia Mic Pre's
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2007, 11:06:24 PM »

Just did some vocals for a female artist using an M269 into a Millennia TD-1.
It sounded great.  Really great.
And considering the room rental came with one of the largest collections of gear in the world, that says a lot.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Bodoc

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2007, 11:04:04 PM »

The 8 channel is particularly wonderful for remote recording. We get remarkable results in an easily transported package.  And, considering the quality of these channels, it is a bargain.

In short:

Affordable clarity and elegance.

yoink

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 12:05:44 AM »

I realise I'm digging up an old thread here but do any of you Millenia HV-3 owners have the DC input option (instead of the +130 option) which Millenia touts as being for dynamics/ribbons?

I got an email from Millenia briefly explaining it, but I wasn't really clear on what the option does to the pre and how it might affect it's other qualities.

Thanks.
"The only intuitive interface is the nipple. After that it's all learned." -Bruce Ediger

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2007, 01:57:13 AM »

I have the DC input option. It leaves out the DC blocking resistors so there's less circuitry in the path. I've gotten VERY clean sound and extended treble out of dynamic mics, and it's also good for plugging DI boxes into.
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A

Hank Alrich

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »

I have that option on two of four channels and it works very well with ribbon mics. I don't bother to distinguish between the two types of inputs for ordinary dynamic mics.

maarvold

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 06:49:17 PM »

I own 8 channels of Millennia HV-3's and like them a lot.  There is a subtle 'something' about the top end, but it usually doesn't bother me.  They are from the 'straight wire with gain' school and they are really nice with orchestral film score-type recording--especially on strings.  They have a lot of gain, in 3 stages, with pots that are stepped in 1.5 dB steps.  For anyone interested, the sound of the [section] trumpets and trombones on Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band "The Phat Pack" (nominated for an engineering Grammy last year and engineered primarily by Tommy Vicari) is Royer 121's into the DC-coupled inputs of Millennia HV-3's.  

I also own 6 channels of Gordon Audio, again from the 'straight wire with gain' school.  I've been using the Gordons a lot lately, especially for vocals and orchestral room mics.  They don't have the top end 'thing' and they're really great: no transformer in the signal path and really excellent design and implementation, as far as I can tell.  And a ton of exceptionally quiet gain.  The only negative, and I mean the ONLY one for me is the stepped gain in 5 dB steps.  But this is certainly not unique to them (can you say Neve 1073?).  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

yoink

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 10:49:52 PM »

So am I to understand, and I'm sorry this isn't getting into my thick head, that if the DC-coupled input option is ordered that it's not a toggle-button option like the +130v but rather a "hard-wired" option (for lack of a better term.)

Thanks!
"The only intuitive interface is the nipple. After that it's all learned." -Bruce Ediger

Hank Alrich

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2007, 12:35:38 AM »

yoink wrote on Wed, 05 December 2007 19:49

So am I to understand, and I'm sorry this isn't getting into my thick head, that if the DC-coupled input option is ordered that it's not a toggle-button option like the +130v but rather a "hard-wired" option (for lack of a better term.)

Thanks!

On the back panel, where the 130 v. inputs would be if one had that option installed, are another row of XLR inputs that route directly to the ribbon/DC path. So no switch but not eliminating the regular path.

Bryson

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2007, 08:25:42 AM »

Fenris Wulf. wrote on Tue, 04 December 2007 22:57

I have the DC input option. It leaves out the DC blocking resistors so there's less circuitry in the path.

Those would be capacitors.

Hank Alrich

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2007, 03:59:23 PM »

maarvold wrote on Wed, 05 December 2007 15:49

I also own 6 channels of Gordon Audio, again from the 'straight wire with gain' school.

That's the best preamp I have ever used. I didn't think there could be that much more transparency not to be heard. Amazing boxes.

yoink

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2007, 10:56:29 PM »

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.