R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tape based data archiving these days?  (Read 2399 times)

breathe

tape based data archiving these days?
« on: December 03, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »

I hope this isn't in the wrong forum but I didn't see a computer forum in REP.  I recently realized that one of the six Lacie firewire drives attached to my studio's PC was no longer working.  I'm going to try to rescue it with Norton Disk Doctor or whatever and if that doesn't work I don't know what I'm going to do because the only thing on the drive is an album project that is long since completed and released and neither me nor the band has the $5k to take the drive to Drive Savers.  This recent incident has got me thinking about the fallibility of even high quality hard drives.  With hard drives being so cheap these days (the 500 GB Lacie's I'm buying now are $200) I was under the impression that people were forgoing with tape-based data backup and just buying a new hard drive for every new project.  Am I mistaken?  Is there a common modern way of backing up data to something other than a hard drive?  Any suggestions?

Best,
Nicholas

thedoc

Re: tape based data archiving these days?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:24:42 PM »

Have you tried removing the drive and installing it into another case?  I have seen that work more than a few times due to bad interface chips in some cases.
Doc

amorris

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 11:12:18 AM »

Just load up the backup DVD-Rs and move on....

Oh, you dont have a backup???

First rule about fight club? Back up you fucking data,. tape, dvd, write down on paper every 1 and 0 if you have to. No excuse not to have a backup these days .

If you are too lazy to do it every night, then do it at least a few times so you dont have to redo too much.

breathe

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 04:47:28 AM »

What's the best backup software for Windows?

Nicholas

YZ

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »

For tape? Windows comes with MSBackup built-in, it works OK.

By OK I mean I saw countless commercial enterprises using it as their sole backup software for years.

It backs up. It tests the backup. It restores. Can do incremental backups too.

For DVD-R? any DVD burning app would do but I have a preference for Nero; it does have a HD backup function that will span multiple DVD-Rs when needed but I never tried it, I always use the "select files and burn one disc at a time" method.

The problem with tape drives is that they are usually slow unless you buy the latest and greatest (quite expensive) and they are SCSI, so you need a SCSI card.

The advantage is that the tape capacities are large so you can start the backup and go home, it will be done and verified the next day.

One example can be found here:

http://www.digitape.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Sto re_Code=D&Product_Code=AITi1040s&Category_Code=AIT5

400 Gigabytes in one tape, tapes are $50 each.

regards,

YZ

amorris

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 04:27:25 PM »

also, regarding software.. buy it yourself, backup on your tapes and take it all home with you. I have tapes of sessions that are on AITII and no one in town has that anymore. the orignating studio "upgraded" and doesnt have the old machines anymore. So, yes Ive made all these mistakes myself and I have no excuse. Im waiting for someone to pay me to get this off tape and i will have to pay whatever they want to dump it off. thats life and it sucks.

YZ

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 03:36:51 PM »

amorris wrote on Tue, 11 December 2007 19:27

also, regarding software.. buy it yourself, backup on your tapes and take it all home with you. I have tapes of sessions that are on AITII and no one in town has that anymore. the orignating studio "upgraded" and doesnt have the old machines anymore. So, yes Ive made all these mistakes myself and I have no excuse. Im waiting for someone to pay me to get this off tape and i will have to pay whatever they want to dump it off. thats life and it sucks.

Old AIT II tape drives are available for around $200, so if you have clients wanting their backups it may be worth buying one.

Check for the type of SCSI before buying; some are HVD (High-Voltage Differential) and require a specific SCSI card that may cost more than the drive itself.

It's been a while since I've checked tape standards, but there's a strong possibility that newer AIT drives can read your tapes; check the product pages at the manufacturer's site.

Some resellers have NOS drives while other offer refurbished units.

The tape drive business is great on longevity; usually you can still find usable drives for over 10 years after discontinuation.

Just avoid E-bay; look for specialized stores like Coastal Micro Supply, Server Supply...  Pricewatch.com is a good site to find all of this.

regards,

YZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 23 queries.