R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stumped...  (Read 4034 times)

OTR-jkl

Stumped...
« on: April 23, 2004, 12:49:45 PM »

What do you guys do when you can hear that something is not right on a track but you can't quite put your finger on it? I'm talking mainly about freqs...

I know what it is I want to hear but I'm having trouble finding the right combination.
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

lucey

Re: Stumped...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 05:35:25 PM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 11:49

What do you guys do when you can hear that something is not right on a track but you can't quite put your finger on it? I'm talking mainly about freqs...

I know what it is I want to hear but I'm having trouble finding the right combination.

spin some knobs

make a notch and cut or boost it big, move the freq, find it

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 06:22:44 PM »

FWIW, sometimes things that sound like freq issues can be dynamic issues, ime. For example, it may sound like a whole in the lower mids, but it goes away with some subtle compression. I also find that often textures can do things that EQ cannot - for example, the coloration available in certain compressors or EQs or even processes like those in the HEDD192...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

mcsnare

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 10:31:38 AM »

Yeah, what he said.
    Also if you are using an anlog eq, FORGET what the frequency says on the panel. I kept turning the knobs on my Millenia to where I thought they should be, but it never did exactly what I wanted. Later on, I compared a very accurate digital eq. Turns out, to match the sound of a very accurate digital dig eq with the Millenia, the knobs on the Millenia are not ANYWHERE close to what the front panel says. My ears refused to believe my eyes when I wanted to boost about 1.7k-2K and the panel sez 7K...Opened up a whole new world for me.
Dave

Ronny

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »

My first post on the new board. Cool look Brad.

Dave, on the eq. Are you sure that the 7k reading isn't an overtone? Being off by 5k sounds like a lot. You probably already know this, but in case others are confused with my question. The fundamental frequency of an instruments note doesn't have to be the loudest frequency, it will always be the lowest freq, but there are cases where the overtones can actually be hotter than the fundamental. Anyway that you can test your observations with Penguin of Specfoo?

Ronny
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------