R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apogee AD & DA -16x  (Read 4536 times)

natpub

Apogee AD & DA -16x
« on: May 05, 2004, 10:59:10 PM »

Anyone at yer shop plug one in yet, Fletcher? Anyone laid ears on them yet? Can't find any reviews yet in any mag or site.

Thx,

-KT
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

Fletcher

Re: Apogee AD & DA -16x
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 06:39:53 AM »

We just got in the DA-16X... it's a winner.  

Is it the D/A converters in my RADAR-24/Nyquist?  Hell no; but it's up there with most of the other good ones... and a hell of a lot better than the original DA-16... I mean leaps and bounds better... night and day better... down right 'damn good' kinda better.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

sui-city

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 09:58:14 AM »

Fletcher!

How does it compare to the LAvry Blues?

RockHardBottom

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 06:57:57 PM »

Fletcher,

How would you compare the new ad/da16x, to the rosetta 800. Is there a noticeable difference. I shelled out for the 800 3 months ago, and am wondering if I should throw it on ebay, and get the x series. Only if there is a substantial difference between the two units.

Dan

natpub

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 09:08:52 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 05:39

We just got in the DA-16X... it's a winner.  

Is it the D/A converters in my RADAR-24/Nyquist?  Hell no; but it's up there with most of the other good ones... and a hell of a lot better than the original DA-16... I mean leaps and bounds better... night and day better... down right 'damn good' kinda better.

As long as they meet or beat a DigiDesign 192 I/O I will be thrilled! Smile

-KT
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 01:15:37 AM »

It beats the ShitiDesign stuff into the ground with a stick [we actually had a chance to A/B that at a friend's joint]... haven't had an opportunity to A/B it with other Apogee stuff.

I'm off to ze Fatherland tomorrow for AES-Europe so I have no idea when I'll be able to A/B it against anything else.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

natpub

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 02:13:15 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 00:15

It beats the ShitiDesign stuff into the ground with a stick [we actually had a chance to A/B that at a friend's joint]... .

This is outstanding news, thankee sir! That about wraps up my last 6 months research Razz Here's hoping the AD rocks just as well or better.

-KT
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

natpub

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 02:18:51 AM »

RockHardBottom wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 17:57

Fletcher,

How would you compare the new ad/da16x, to the rosetta 800. Is there a noticeable difference. I shelled out for the 800 3 months ago, and am wondering if I should throw it on ebay, and get the x series. Only if there is a substantial difference between the two units.

Dan

I sympathize with ya bro, though I cannot help but be pretty sure it will be noticeably improved, since it includes much of the BigBen clocking circuitry. That said, bear in mind this is just the DA, not both like the Rosetta 800. For the price you paid, you got 8 channels of AD/DA. That is a good deal. Toss on a BigBen or other clock, and I am sure it would be darn near the same.

That said, I have held off "Specifically" because this unit represented a cost/quality ratio for 16 channels that was going to be damn hard to beat. I still plan to get a 2 channel AD/DA Lavry Blue box, for overdubs and to front end the masterlink and monitors, but for basic tracks and stems out to a Dangerous2bus, this thing is going to be highly cost efficent.

Just my thoughts so far.

-KT
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 17 queries.