R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: needed forum- hearing issues!  (Read 14041 times)

Hoh

Re: needed forum- hearing issues!
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2004, 12:49:26 PM »

OK , I know some of these posts go back a bit ... and actually I've debated answering on them a couple times , but here it goes ...

Quote:

I had an experience of renewal as it pertained to my hearing (and all my senses actually) I went to this place where fasting (water only) is the primary modality for health maintenance

Though I'm happy this worked for you - one word of caution ... for most people fasting etc. can increase the amount of tinnitus, recruitment and hyperacusis they have.

Quote:

there is one method for repair, although how much is up to you ... told to me by a hearing aid clinician

classical music/new age, low level, while you sleep

*turn it on and turn it down again, and again, as you are lying there until you sleep to it*

I'm not sure repair is the correct word here ... it's more like "desensitization" (sp) having low level noise (any kind of noise actually) can help people with tinnitus, recruitment, and hyperacusis learn to "deal" better.  One thing I would like to point out - is that unlike a million people would like to think (think snake oil)  - there isn't a "cure" to regain permanent SN hearing loss, once the nerves are damaged that's it.  It's true that there are many techniques to help people with hearing loss manage their loss ... it's not meant to "repairing the damage" as much as it is through retraining the person to maximize the remaining hearing, and block out as much of the "garble" that we here.

p.s. I have (from birth) profound loss on one side, and mild/mod flux loss on the other ( I use a BTE HA), I also have recruitment ( like most people with hearing loss) , and tinnitus.

Carnac

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2004, 07:32:14 PM »

for most people fasting etc. can increase the amount of tinnitus, recruitment and hyperacusis they have.

I'm glad you brought this up and I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing any symptoms from these diseases. It's when you said 'can increase the amount of tinnitus, recruitment and hyperacusis' that I remember the experience of increased pain and discomfort during the imediate stages of the fast. Pain in the joints and muscles of the lower back where I had chronic pain to begin with only got worse as the fast continued. If left to my own interpretation and that of conventional 'pain experts' I would have thought the fast was 'doing' something to me, which in reality, the fast was only allowing processes within me to occur that could not occur otherwise. Well, day 10 of the fast arrived and I had no more pain, freedom at last. And that was just the begining of my joys. Since then I have had no recurrence of my previous chronic pain. But in order to achieve that, a total commitment to another way of living had to be embraced.
  This is not to say 'Hey!... fasting will bring back your unrecoverable .........(fill in ). On the other hand, one should not under all circumstances listen to the so called 'experts' in the disease industry, because they are typically not founded or experienced within the principles of health building.
  So if it's really gone, it's gone.... but if there is any chance of recovery, a fast can help achieve that goal, so long as one is willing to subject oneself to the experience and subsequent lifestyle changes. (which are major hurdles in themselves)
  And Hoh, I just reread your PS again with some sadness. I wasn't responding about your situation specifically with regards to further treatment. I wish you all the best.
Cory

Hoh

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2004, 03:28:50 AM »

I'd like to clarify a couple things here Smile

Firstly hearing loss isn't a disease, nor is it an illness of some sort.  It's a medical condition , in the same way that being near sighted is a medical condition. The difference between the two is that for many people eye glasses can correct their vision to normal - this of course is not the case for hearing loss - Hearing Aids can in some cases bring you back to "flat" , and increase the volume to bring you back to "normal" range .. however the damage that goes along with SN loss ( unlike conductive loss)  can not be corrected.

On a personal note
I was born Hoh. I have always been profoundly deaf on one side , and I've always had at least mild loss on the other side. I don't feel the slightest bit bad, or sorry, or regretful that I'm a Deaf person (culturally). One thing that might surprise some people here is that if there was some kind of magic "hearing pill" that I could take to being a hearing person ... I wouldn't want to take it. I value the "way I am" I value my Culture, I'm greatful that I'm able to communicate is 3 languages ( English, French (throughout school, but I don't really use it much anymore), and ASL) ... I don't see being Hoh as terribly restrictive ( though some people do). For as many "downsides" that people see to being hoh there just as many things that I can see as positives ... it's all in the way you choose to see the world Smile

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them, as truthfully , and as unbiased as possible Smile

Please don't feel sorry for hoh and & d/Deaf Wink  there's nothing to feel sorry for Smile

Calvin

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2004, 01:52:39 PM »

I started losing my hearing about a year and a half ago (Meniere's disease - no known cause, results in progressive hearing loss and vertigo, although my hearing seems to have stabilized).  I have a 60dB dip between 2k and 4k in both ears, and also have tinnitus in both ears.  Although I'm sure I don't have Fletcher's listening skills, I too can still hear everything that I could before the hearing loss, provided that I'm monitoring at reasonable levels (~70-90dB).  Anything louder than 90dB sounds like garbage, particularly after a few minutes, and anything less than 70dB seems to begin revealing the dip.  When the hearing loss began, I thought for sure that my music days were over.  However, I've found that I can still function at the same level I could before the hearing loss.  The brain does an amazing job of adapting.

Carnac

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2004, 03:03:08 PM »

Thanks Hoh  Smile
Cory

Eliott James

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2004, 04:27:53 AM »

.However, I've found that I can still function at the same level I could before the hearing loss. The brain does an amazing job of adapting

I have moderate to almost profound hearing loss in both ears. Yes, we can adapt, to a degree, I've found so far. It's about translating what your now hear, based on what you heard before the loss. The brain can make up for a lot of it.

I wear hearing aids in both ears, pretty good ones, but in no way do they give me what was lost. At best they bring the levels back up to where they should be in those freqs. They help alot for conversation but fall way short with music. The price for wearing aids seems to be some distortion, which I'm told is part of having hearing aids. YMMV. I also hear distortion without my hearing aids at times. This too is a common part of some hearing loss.

What is particularly annoying is the harmonics of a steel string guitar. I've yet to play any brand of guitar that doesn't drive me crazy with distortion, so recording one is a challenge.

I've had some problems adjusting but that's the way it is and I will meet that challenge. I thought for a long while that my recording days were over, but they're not.

Toby M

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2004, 12:54:49 PM »

After spending to many years beating my ears badly by working in nightclubs as a DJ and meeting more and more old rockers, all with the same advice. Stay out of the sound bizz, you'll only end up like me, broken wallet and back and severe pink noise inside your head.

This was a warning to me,if i was to stay in this business and move into recording as was my aim i better protect myself.

I got my ears checked and strangly enough they're fine, i even had an very unusual sensetivity in my left ear. Probably you can train your hearing?

Any way, since 7 years back i've spend around 600Usd on personal earmolds.(The're pretty expensive and i've lost a couple of pairs so far.) Custom made to my ears, with exchangable filters 6, 9 or 15d.b damping. I keep them in my wallet and boy do they save my ears. Haven't had a ring in my ears since the day i got them, i plug them in at conserts, in nightclubs, live sound situations. Worth every red cent.
www.cascatoma.com
Smiles can be heard !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.