R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: various automation op-amps  (Read 3944 times)

andshesbuyingastairway

various automation op-amps
« on: June 08, 2007, 10:08:31 PM »

does anyone know what kind of op-amps various automation systems use?  such as ultimation, flying fader, supertrue/ total recall etc.  

i'm assuming GML uses something discrete, and that uptown 990 is as well being the 990.

also as if that wasn't enough, do you know what most factory VCA uses for op-amps (even if in simplified monolithic vs. discrete terms) say neotek for example

no ptp banter allowed  

tom eaton

Re: various automation op-amps
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:12:46 PM »

My Otari Concept Elite uses THAT 2150a vcas, and a ton of different opamps... the auto is built into the channel, so no real "auto-only" amp stages.

My old Angela used dbx vcas, not uncommon...202?  Not entirely sure, it was Optifile and the chips were standard issue 5534/TLO72.

No idea about GML or Uptown...

tom

Former Oceanway drone

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:44:29 AM »

andshesbuyingastairway wrote on Sat, 09 June 2007 04:08

no ptp banter allowed  

"Yes, your highness."

You really are quite the jackass. We're not here to serve you.

Contempt,

Alan Tomlinson

Andy Peters

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:18:07 AM »

andshesbuyingastairway wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 19:08

does anyone know what kind of op-amps various automation systems use?  such as ultimation, flying fader, supertrue/ total recall etc.  

i'm assuming GML uses something discrete, and that uptown 990 is as well being the 990.

also as if that wasn't enough, do you know what most factory VCA uses for op-amps (even if in simplified monolithic vs. discrete terms) say neotek for example

no ptp banter allowed  

So the automation puts a motorized fader in place of the standard job.

No other part of the audio circuitry is affected.

So WTF are you on about?

NB: there may be op-amps as part of the stepper motor driver circuit but these devices are not in the audio path.

Many faders are wired point-to-point into the circuit.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

andshesbuyingastairway

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 04:28:29 PM »

wish we could ask GML to verify that information.

\
is andy's information correct?  and in VCA i assume there would be an op-amp in the audio path.  

Dave Hecht

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 06:02:14 PM »

andshesbuyingastairway wrote on Sat, 09 June 2007 13:28

wish we could ask GML to verify that information.

Here we go again. Alex, you've already been suspended once. If you're going to start in with challenging answers again, I'll make it permanent. And GML does not use any discrete opamps in the automation system. I've worked on dozens of GML systems. Care to challenge my response?

Dave Hecht

bblackwood

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 06:23:35 PM »

'Alex' is banned from REP permanently.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Larrchild

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »

If you go point to point on his posts, he's hardly discreet.
As Chairman of the Board, you saw his knowledge was in a state of flux, and flux-removal is the first step to a clean, shiny board.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

J.J. Blair

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 05:55:51 PM »

I'm just checking in for the first time in a few days.  I've dinner with George the last two nights, and we talked about why he stopped going into forums.  I wish he were here to see this, though.  

Wow.  Talk about somebody who doesn't understand jackshit about jackshit.  You use moving faders so that you can use a fader and NOT have to go through any type of circuit other than the fader/resistor.

The funny thing is that all the systems named use pretty much the same P&G faders.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Larrchild

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 06:16:50 PM »

We really mean well here.

But don't pull our chain, lol.

He meant the buffer opamp that is sometimes on a fader package.
That's not the point. The question was framed in a combative posture.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

CHANCE

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 08:19:41 PM »

Larrchild wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 13:17

his knowledge was in a state of flux, and flux-removal is the first step to a clean, shiny board.

Excellent!
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

J.J. Blair

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 08:25:48 PM »

I repeated the question to Massenberg about an our ago.  Here's his response:

"Stupid questions like these are why I stopped going into forums."
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

RMoore

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 05:28:55 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 11 June 2007 02:25

I repeated the question to Massenberg about an our ago.  Here's his response:

"Stupid questions like these are why I stopped going into forums."

The question was formulated to sow confusion and dischord, for reasons only known to the poster,

No way was it a 'for real' query..

Those stairway to heaven posts began red flag waving already with the mention of point to point and SSL desks in the same sentence...

The weird thing is it must be someone who actually knows enough about all of those technical elements to be able to pose 'questions' that 'appear' to be clued out or worded in such a way so as to annoy others who are tech savvy..

He's probably tickled pink to know the shenanigans pulled here managed to rile Mr Massenburg...
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

J.J. Blair

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 02:44:22 PM »

I think you're giving Alex to much credit.  I think he's just another fucking idiot who read some buzzwords or some other shit on Gear Slutz and is trying to sound like he knows what he has some idea of what's supposed to sound good.  

He reminds me of Andy Simpson, except Andy comes up with hypothesis that are based on some information that he learned, and he's trying to prove a useless point.  Alex is asking useless questions.
studio info

ssltech

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 02:56:44 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote

Andy {snip happens}'s trying to prove a useless point.  Alex is asking useless questions.

Dude...

We've GOT to get those two together on a date or something...!

Very Happy

Keef
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Dave Hecht

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 03:20:49 PM »

I have to agree with Ryan on this. When this clown started posting, we decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, as his first couple of posts could have just been a seriously misinformed beginner. His follow up posts, however, clearly indicated he was just trying to stir things up. Whatever his motivation, I don't have the time to waste on him, and I doubt anyone else has, either.  As I warned him, this forum is not going to turn into Gearslutz. And I consider his being banned as a serious improvement.

Dave Hecht

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »

Hear, hear.
studio info

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 20 queries.