R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundblade 1.2 ships  (Read 32266 times)

Jerry Tubb

Re: Soundblade 1.2 ships
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 01:23:18 PM »

jfrigo wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 10:56

You can loop out to external processors with sB, though I've never tried it personally. I prefer a more traditional workflow where I process on load-in, and I have a variety of source machines, anaog and digital, and when things come in as data files, a second DAW (a pro tools rig) serves as the source format (it can run in the same computer if you wish). I like this flow better, though I could just as easily have my source files in the same sB project as the processed fles. Some people like that workflow better.

That's my current workflow in PT, loop out to analog processors, back into DAW at the native sampling rate, if needed SR convert after the fact.

I'd like verification that SB can do the Loop flawlessly (por favor).

jdg wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 11:33

would be cool if it let you use two audio interfaces at different rates tho, but they use core audio... and i dont think thats possible (yet)

Agreed, I don't see that happening soon, not enough demand, except for us geeky MEs.

Andy Krehm wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 11:33

My current system, where I usually SRC after processing works just fine but always sounds slightly different than how I remember it sounding at the native resolution

Yes it sounds a little different, but so do the bit reduced, dithered files when going from 24 to 16 with WB -or- PMCD.

I think for us Mac Heads, its gotta be the "inconvenient truth" that you already know -

1. loop with one DAW, SRC after the fact, live with the small difference in sound.

2. use two DAWs, one at the native rate, second at delivery rate.

3. SRC everything to the same Samp Rate at the Beginning of the session, puts the change at the beginning rather than the end, less surprises that way.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

bblackwood

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 01:34:15 PM »

Sequoia with 2 sound cards can do this, if I'm not mistaken, plus I'm sure I was told that it can load more than one sample rate in the same session. Brad, can you enlighten us on these point and anything else that might be interesting?

To be honest, I have no idea - I load everything at the destination rate so I don't ever have the need for multiple sample rates in an EDL.

I have to say, Sequoia is the best (and by far the most stable) DAW I have ever used. If only it ran under OSX...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »

Quote:

That's my current workflow in PT, loop out to analog processors, back into DAW at the native sampling rate, if needed SR convert after the fact.

Yup

Quote:

ditto

Quote:

I think for us Mac Heads, its gotta be the "inconvenient truth" that you already know -

1. loop with one DAW, SRC after the fact, live with the small difference in sound.

2. use two DAWs, one at the native rate, second at delivery rate.

3. SRC everything to the same Samp Rate at the Beginning of the session, puts the change at the beginning rather than the end, less surprises that way.

JT

I like number 1 or 2.
If I have high sample rate sources I'd rather feed that to the D/A and onto the analogue loop than SRC it down first.

Number 2 is most flexible but with the downside of 2 machines...

PB
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

jdg

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 02:16:05 PM »

Quote:

i loop all day...

source panel -> analog -> digi -> L2 -> capture panel.

highlight the track on your source, hit record when ready.

i've been happy with this 1.2 version.. (so far)
all previous versions where painful.  

im going to go knock on every piece of wood i can find. brb
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »

most excellent... muchas gracias.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Darth Fader

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 10:34

Sequoia with 2 sound cards can do this, if I'm not mistaken, plus I'm sure I was told that it can load more than one sample rate in the same session. Brad, can you enlighten us on these point and anything else that might be interesting?

To be honest, I have no idea - I load everything at the destination rate so I don't ever have the need for multiple sample rates in an EDL.

I have to say, Sequoia is the best (and by far the most stable) DAW I have ever used. If only it ran under OSX...

I can't see how you'd load files with different sample rates into Sequoia - different bit depths, yes, but SR, no.
Usually it asks if you want to convert the imported file, or change the session samplerate to match the incoming file.

It WILL, however, allow you to load mutliple sessions, so what i typically do is use one session for my processing (e.g. 96k / 32bit wav..) and another one to import the files for sequencing (16/44 aiff) - have the windows tiled, so i can easily go between the two, to listen to what i've done before - as the sequence builds, and what's going on as i'm eq-ing and processing.

works like a charm, and yes, very very stable.

H

Roland Storch

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 04:37:26 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 18:34

This is a good way to do, Brad.

As far as I know Sequoia does re-sampling when you use different sample rates on one projec. That means it uses a SRC in that case. Shouldn?t SRC be the seconad last step before bit reduction from 24 to 16 bit? Than i would not use this re-sampling process in the middle of the workflow.

present

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2007, 06:30:54 AM »

Darth Fader wrote on Sat, 09 June 2007 18:40

I can't see how you'd load files with different sample rates into Sequoia - different bit depths, yes, but SR, no.
Usually it asks if you want to convert the imported file, or change the session samplerate to match the incoming file.

Yes, I was thinking about that too.
Brad, do you upsample everything to 96k and then capture at 44.1 on the Sequoia pc?

Quote:

It WILL, however, allow you to load mutliple sessions, so what i typically do is use one session for my processing (e.g. 96k / 32bit wav..) and another one to import the files for sequencing (16/44 aiff) - have the windows tiled, so i can easily go between the two, to listen to what i've done before - as the sequence builds, and what's going on as i'm eq-ing and processing.

works like a charm, and yes, very very stable.

H

That is the workflow of my dreams! So, Sequoia will allow you to use two sessions at different rates, routed to different soundcards?

bblackwood

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2007, 09:13:27 AM »

present wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 05:30

Brad, do you upsample everything to 96k and then capture at 44.1 on the Sequoia pc?

I play everything back (via Wavelab) at it's initial sampling rate.

Quote:

So, Sequoia will allow you to use two sessions at different rates, routed to different soundcards?

Oh yah, you can open as many instances of Sequoia as you have sound cards. I choose to play back in Wavelab as each file has it's own window, so I don't have to worry about whether or not the file is in the proper EDL. Plus using different programs makes it where I never have to select which sound card is used, I just open the programs and get to work.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

present

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 15:13

Oh yah, you can open as many instances of Sequoia as you have sound cards.

Good stuff!

Quote:

I choose to play back in Wavelab as each file has it's own window, so I don't have to worry about whether or not the file is in the proper EDL. Plus using different programs makes it where I never have to select which sound card is used, I just open the programs and get to work.

Thanks. I definitely see the advantage of that.
It's good to be able to just get going.

regards
rogier

Darth Fader

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 12:14:46 PM »

i'm only using one soundcard.. RME 9632 -> Ext DA

and it switches SR's on the fly.. amazingly.

H

present

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 01:57:17 PM »

Darth Fader wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 18:14

H

I've got one, and I didn't even know that...
Great!

rogier

bblackwood

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2007, 02:05:27 PM »

Darth Fader wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 11:14

Unless it supports record/playback of different sampling frequenices concurrently, it wouldn't work for mastering houses utilizing an anlaog chain...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Darth Fader

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2007, 11:21:08 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 11:05

Darth Fader wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 11:14

Unless it supports record/playback of different sampling frequenices concurrently, it wouldn't work for mastering houses utilizing an anlaog chain...

Very true.

H

Roland Storch

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2007, 09:12:50 AM »

Installed Soundblade 1.2 on a Mac Book Pro (Intel). Works good.

Are there already reoports about improvement of stability with PlugIns? This was a weak point with 1.1.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 20 queries.