R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundblade 1.2 ships  (Read 32278 times)

Jerry Tubb

Re: Soundblade 1.2 ships
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2007, 10:03:08 AM »

Peter Beckmann wrote on Tue, 04 December 2007 06:26

I know your workflow and mine are very similar

Hello Peter, yes of course.

Quote:

so I'm interested that you've moved onto using soundblade exclusively.

Well... not exclusively just yet, but it's getting there.

Yesterday I had a long project, with alternate mixes to audition, and with attending clients, so for efficiency I did the EQ loop processing with PT HD, then the final assembly, editing, and burn with soundBlade, actually a great approach.

Had the session been unattended, I would have gone straight through with sB, but for now the flexibility & workflow of PT is still quicker. There were a couple crashes while doing the final edit with sB, just as Murphy would predict... so I hit the save key quite often.

The producer/PT engineer did seem to be impressed with sB though, especially the "Scale To View" feature (an EDL pref) where the vertical zoom automatically changes to fit the selection. Great for tweaking crossfades and locating ticks.

Quote:

I'm tempted to jump into soundblade as a replacement for Waveburner for assembly, final dither and CD text etc.

That's totally reasonable, and will probably be my MO for a while with long demanding attended sessions. Grown weary of waiting on Apple to give WB needed attention.

There are several layers to the learning curve & skill level with sB, it's just so very completely different than PT or WB, but well worth the effort.

Quote:

My only real beef with WB is its editing is not good should the assembly become more complicated than just gaps etc. It occasionally crashes but otherwise it's OK for basic assembly.

The editing in sB is far superior to WB, and the sound of sB including it's dithering is superb. The Manual DeClick is outrageously good. And having the DDP image as an archive is a real plus.

Quote:

Are you using any third party plugs in SB? and does it run Audio units or VST?

Not yet really, my outboard loop handles most of the processing quite well. I did strap an analyzer across the master fader section, which worked just fine. When the need arises I'll be looking at various plug-ins to see which ones are most stable. The Users Guide recommends using AU plug-ins, rather than VST, given a choice.

I also just discovered the Sonic Web-board where worldwide "power" users (including Peter Mew) contribute various insights.

In general I'm having a blast getting up to speed with sB, perhaps gotten a bit obsessed with it, & enjoying some new enthusiasm for work.

Happy motoring, I'll be interested in reading your observations.

Best - JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2007, 01:37:45 AM »

Thanks for that Jerry.

Sounds like you're having fun with SB. I might well pick it up and get up to speed with it during the start  of January.

PB
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2007, 01:46:56 PM »

Just noticed soundBlade has been officially updated to v1.2.1 just yesterday.

from sonicstudio.com:

soundBlade - 1.2.1 Installer updated 12-04-07 (148 MB ZIP, Build 2790 includes PDF documentation & PACE iLok installer)

iirc Build 2790 is a later build than the pre-release version 1.2.1

So guess I'll be reinstalling today. Hopefully it's even more stable ; - )

JT

addendum: Check your absolute phase when processing via Analog loop, I caught one Thursday that had flipped.
Corrected it with the "Reverse Phase" command.
Terra Nova Mastering

masterhse

« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2007, 06:03:11 PM »

A feature that would be nice for us bastards of the mastering community (i.e. PT users) is if one could use PT and SB in the same machine at the same time. Essentially using PT as a large effect rack and for routing. You get to use all of the PT plugs that you've invested in over the years, and some nice routing features for feeding analog and/or outboard digital. If they could be synced via SMTPE or MIDI you also get automation if needed.

Unfortunately Digi won't let you run core audio with PT software at the same time.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

Bob Boyd

« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2007, 06:31:35 PM »

masterhse wrote on Mon, 10 December 2007 17:03

A feature that would be nice for us bastards of the mastering community (i.e. PT users) is if one could use PT and SB in the same machine at the same time. Essentially using PT as a large effect rack and for routing. You get to use all of the PT plugs that you've invested in over the years, and some nice routing features for feeding analog and/or outboard digital. If they could be synced via SMTPE or MIDI you also get automation if needed.

Unfortunately Digi won't let you run core audio with PT software at the same time.

No doubt.  Extensive plug automation is definitely a big plus in the PT environment.  Given the fact that there hasn't been much movement on the HD|Accel front lately and the Macs have gotten more powerful, I'm more prone to eye RTAS/VST plugs over TDM because I can use them in PT and sB.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2007, 02:09:13 AM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Mon, 10 December 2007 23:31

I'm more prone to eye RTAS/VST plugs over TDM because I can use them in PT and sB.

True, and at least now the Sony/Sonnox plugs are AU as well. I would really miss a couple of TDM oly plugs like the Massenberg EQ and Phoenix Cranesong...

PB
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

Bob Boyd

« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2007, 02:40:57 AM »

Peter Beckmann wrote on Tue, 11 December 2007 01:09

Bob Boyd wrote on Mon, 10 December 2007 23:31

I'm more prone to eye RTAS/VST plugs over TDM because I can use them in PT and sB.

True, and at least now the Sony/Sonnox plugs are AU as well. I would really miss a couple of TDM oly plugs like the Massenberg EQ and Phoenix Cranesong...

PB

Yup.  Being someone who bought the GML option for the Oxford EQ years ago, it sure would have been nice if George would have approved the 8200 emulator to be on the VST version.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

tom eaton

« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2007, 03:19:41 PM »

As an aside, Paul Zinman was the one who figured out how to clock the SSP system in a way that allowed sending an EDL through external processing en route to the CD burner.  The "loop" was between the desk output (3/4) and the desk output to the burner (1/2).  He was nice enough to detail the process for me years ago when I bought my SSP.  He used to be very active on the now relatively dormant Sonic Mail list.

The trick, for the record, is to clock the entire system from the digital input of 3/4, use the desk out of 3/4 to feed the loop, return to 1/2 and flow through to the burner.

In the days of single speed burns it saved a TON of time, and you could automated filters etc. on both the send an receive sides of the desk.  Pretty frickin' slick.  That software was SO far ahead of its time... editing during capture anyone?

tom

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2008, 12:01:03 PM »

tom eaton wrote on Tue, 11 December 2007 14:19

As an aside, Paul Zinman was the one who figured out how to clock the SSP system in a way that allowed sending an EDL through external processing en route to the CD burner...

Aha! Thanks for the clarification Tom. Seems as though the term "Zinman Loop" has gotten misused a lot, myself included. Processing Loop or Analog Processing Loop would be more applicable in the new millennia workflow.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.