R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundblade 1.2 ships  (Read 32213 times)

Peter Beckmann

Soundblade 1.2 ships
« on: June 07, 2007, 03:25:32 AM »

I'm sure plenty of of others here got the same email from Sonic. I'd be very interested to see how this new version runs, stability seems to be a real problem with previous versions.

For those who missed it, here's the scoop:

What's new in version 1.2:

- Background Manager:
Additional sample rates have been added to SRC.
A "Clear List on Execute"check box has been added.

- Desk & Plug-ins:
Improvements have been made to patching.
Performance and stability improvements have been made for plug-ins.

- Edit Fade Mode:
A "Default Fade" preference for opening files has been added.
Auto-scrolling when dragging fades has been added.

- Editing:
A Multi-Channel option has been added.

- Exporting:
soundBlade now alerts the user when overwriting an open file.
A Delete Reduce Files on export preference, and remake if edit after export.

- Miscellaneous:
A Quicktime support option has been added.
The Status Log has been moved to the Console OS utility for log support
LTC generation has been added.
The limit for open files has been increased to 2048.
Preferences -- Desk Setups are now enabled, Edit gain nodes is disabled.

- NoNoise option:
New, user-defineable DeCrackle parameters are now available.

- PQ Editing & Delivery:
An alert for unsupported Open Sessions and ISRC metadata has been added.
An "Edited Black to Start Marks" command has been added.
A "Move Edit Point to Mark" command has been added.
A "Move Mark to Edit Point" command has been added.

- Sonic EQ option:
A SonicEQ VST plug-in has been added, exclusively for soundBlade./I]

PB
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

jdg

Re: Soundblade 1.2 ships
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:13:24 PM »

its sooooooo much better.

only one crash so far!

but there are so many little things just work now.
i have 3 more sessions before the end of the week, and im gonna give it the ol college try again... the session last night worked out pretty well (only one crash (pluggin related), and im pretty happy so far.

note: i reserve the right to change my mind/mood/opinion depending on the weather, my hunger level, and act of God.

john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

jfrigo

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 12:20:47 PM »

Working well here so far. No crashes, but I don't generally use plug-ins.

Andy Krehm

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »

jfrigo wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 12:20

I've been looking to see if there are any dedicated mastering programs that would work for me, preferably for MAC, as my current set-up has a couple of insurmountable limitations

I use PTs as a playback/record unit, with seldom any plug-ins, and WaveBurner for assembly/writing. I've got a system and PTs setup that really works well for me but the limitation is that you can't load different sample rates into the same session and I'd like to use my Lavry 3000S to SRC in real time so to do that, I'd have to get another computer to record to.

I'd also like to monitor the previously mastered 16/44.1 files as am working on the next master while also having the option to hear it at the destination sample/bit rate.

In theory, SB seems like a good choice. Of course I've been reading all the posts about it and I wouldn't have considered using it so far, based on most of the comments.

Right now, I have to convert anything other than 44.1k after I master it and, while myself and my clients are happy with the results, I'd still like to hear the exact end result as I'm working.

I know Sequoia will do this with 2 sound cards and apparently it will run via Boot Camp on the new Macs. However, these two items together are very pricey. SB is by far the more economical choice plus I could continue using my G5 2.5 dual processor.

So, will SB load two different sample rate in the same session?

Will it allow recording back in to it at different sample rates.

And lastly, I'd like to know from the pros that have SB, is this version something you are confident that you can use exclusively on a daily basis

Comments are greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 04:42:10 PM »

Anybody running it on Intel yet?

bab

Bob Boyd

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:45:26 PM »

As someone who uses soundBlade in my daily workflow for final edits, tweaks, and authoring, I can say that stability is WAY up.

They really have been hustling. For those of you who were daring enough to try version 1.0, as a point of reference that was build 2021.  You can see from the splash screen that over 600 internal builds later, the 1.2 release is build 2639.  Crashes are rare for me at this point.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 12:33:33 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 14:42

Anybody running it on Intel yet?

bab

Just checked the FAQ page on SS, yes it does now run on Intel

bab

jdg

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 01:07:36 AM »

so far so good.. 2 more projects today
the GUI is still slow at points.. but its workign very well
john mcCaig

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 06:24:36 AM »

Andy Krehm wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 18:08

I use PTs as a playback/record unit, with seldom any plug-ins, and WaveBurner for assembly/writing. I've got a system and PTs setup that really works well for me but the limitation is that you can't load different sample rates into the same session and I'd like to use my Lavry 3000S to SRC in real time so to do that, I'd have to get another computer to record to.

I'd also like to monitor the previously mastered 16/44.1 files as am working on the next master while also having the option to hear it at the destination sample/bit rate.

I work a similar way to you Andy, using PT to both play and capture, and then I assemble and final dither in Waveburner.
The way I get around the issue you describe is to use different sets of outputs from my 192 to audition.
So I always have a duplicate track of the load in material with no inserts [hardware or software] playing out of say outputs 3&4
That way I can match levels and check pre and post processing to compare.
[I use my monitor controller to switch between sources I'm listening to]

I capture back into PT at 24bits so I can compare previous material with the next track being processed.
If I want to compare at 16bits, I drop the powr dither plugin on the process track to monitor [I use the powr dither in Waveburner later for the actual masters]

I too am interested in SB as an all in one solution, but I don't think it would give me the flexibility that PT HD currrently gives me, plus I have some TDM plugins such as the Massenburg EQ that wouldn't work in SB.
It's the extra trip to Waveburner to finish a master that bugs me. That and only being able to run one sample rate. Some projects come to me at mixed rates.

PB
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 09:40:36 AM »

Peter Beckmann wrote on Thu, 07 June 2007 02:25

The limit for open files has been increased to 2048.

Thank Goodness !

I've been waiting on this feature before making my move to SB !

Now I can open all the last few months files at once: - )

But seriously, SB 1.2 sounds like good news for us PT/WB users.

Question: Anyone using SB 1.2 with PT HD hardware & Core Audio, & how's that particular stability?

JT

p.s. it's kewl to know that there's many of us around the blue planet using similar software & workflows.
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Andy Krehm

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 10:37:03 AM »

Peter Beckmann wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 06:24

I work a similar way to you Andy, using PT to both play and capture, and then I assemble and final dither in Waveburner.
The way I get around the issue you describe is to use different sets of outputs from my 192 to audition.
So I always have a duplicate track of the load in material with no inserts [hardware or software] playing out of say outputs 3&4
That way I can match levels and check pre and post processing to compare.
[I use my monitor controller to switch between sources I'm listening to]

I capture back into PT at 24bits so I can compare previous material with the next track being processed.
If I want to compare at 16bits, I drop the powr dither plugin on the process track to monitor [I use the powr dither in Waveburner later for the actual masters]

I too am interested in SB as an all in one solution, but I don't think it would give me the flexibility that PT HD currrently gives me, plus I have some TDM plugins such as the Massenburg EQ that wouldn't work in SB.
It's the extra trip to Waveburner to finish a master that bugs me. That and only being able to run one sample rate. Some projects come to me at mixed rates.

PB

I do all the same things as you but it's hearing the SRC-ed material as I work on it and also of the previous masters that is not possible using this set-up.

No question the PTs/WB combo is quick and easy but it seems that about 15% of my jobs come in at 48k and sometimes 96 or even 88.2k so that's where I am guessing (just a little) on how it will come out after software SRC of the master. It's too bad b/c, with the exception of having to leave the processing program to sequence and write, I am totally and completely happy with the processing work flow I have in PTs.

I have worked with software SRCing after the master my entire mastering career with good results but I am just curious to see if I would be doing anything differently if I had real-time conversion to listen to while I work. That and owning the the expenisve Lavry 3000S SRC which is of no use to me (except for another set of meters) is really what is driving this topic!

No one has answered whether SB can do this! It would seem that most people are using it in place of Waveburner as opposed to running out to an analog loop with digital outboard inserts and recording back in to it.

Please correct me it I'm wrong.

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 11:04:30 AM »

EXACTLY!

Can SB use external harware units in a loop in & out of say a Digi 192?

PB
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks

jfrigo

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 11:56:46 AM »

No one has answered whether SB can do this! It would seem that most people are using it in place of Waveburner as opposed to running out to an analog loop with digital outboard inserts and recording back in to it.

PMCD is the alternative to waveburner, while sB is the complete DAW. As for having muliple sample rates in the same project, I don't know of any DAW that does that. You'd need multiple clocks and multiple DACs, or everything would have to be SRCd in real-time, which is not something that sounds good to me.

You can loop out to external processors with sB, though I've never tried it personally. I prefer a more traditional workflow where I process on load-in, and I have a variety of source machines, anaog and digital, and when things come in as data files, a second DAW (a pro tools rig) serves as the source format (it can run in the same computer if you wish). I like this flow better, though I could just as easily have my source files in the same sB project as the processed fles. Some people like that workflow better.

However, like any other DAW, you either need to work at the native resolution of the source files and SRC at the end, or SRC the files ahead of time to the rate you wish to work at. It may be interesting to be able to launch two instances of sB with two sets of hardware, and I heard the idea bounced around at one point, but I don't think it was ever followed up on. I guess for $475, running a copy of PMCD alongside could work. The projects and sound files are all interchangeable, so that may be an alternate workflow.

jdg

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 12:33:02 PM »

Andy Krehm wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 07:37

well, it loads it, but obviously plays back at the incorrect rate and gives you a nice warning:
http://www.panicstudios.com/tmp/Picture%201.png

would be cool if it let you use two audio interfaces at different rates tho, but they use core audio... and i dont think thats possible (yet)
john mcCaig

Andy Krehm

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 12:33:17 PM »

jfrigo wrote on Fri, 08 June 2007 11:56

PMCD is the alternative to waveburner, while sB is the complete DAW. As for having muliple sample rates in the same project, I don't know of any DAW that does that. You'd need multiple clocks and multiple DACs, or everything would have to be SRCd in real-time, which is not something that sounds good to me.

You can loop out to external processors with sB, though I've never tried it personally. I prefer a more traditional workflow where I process on load-in, and I have a variety of source machines, anaog and digital, and when things come in as data files, a second DAW (a pro tools rig) serves as the source format (it can run in the same computer if you wish). I like this flow better, though I could just as easily have my source files in the same sB project as the processed fles. Some people like that workflow better.

However, like any other DAW, you either need to work at the native resolution of the source files and SRC at the end, or SRC the files ahead of time to the rate you wish to work at. It may be interesting to be able to launch two instances of sB with two sets of hardware, and I heard the idea bounced around at one point, but I don't think it was ever followed up on. I guess for $475, running a copy of PMCD alongside could work. The projects and sound files are all interchangeable, so that may be an alternate workflow.

Sequoia with 2 sound cards can do this, if I'm not mistaken, plus I'm sure I was told that it can load more than one sample rate in the same session. Brad, can you enlighten us on these point and anything else that might be interesting?

Jay, I've been working the way you do for years (although I load digital files into the same session and then process) but why wouldn't you want to hear the SRCed master while working?

My current system, where I usually SRC after processing works just fine but always sounds slightly different than how I remember it sounding at the native resolution plus loud compressed/limited files often go to digital zero and even over after SRC so it would be nice to have control over that while working. Right now I compensate by reducing the ceiling by .5 dB and that way at leaast I don't get any overs.

One doesn't have to commit to a RT SRC as you can also make a native resolution master at the same time, just in case you need it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 19 queries.