R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: absolutely, the best buy mic...  (Read 18675 times)

plughead

Re: absolutely, the best buy mic...
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 08:39:39 PM »

JackJohnston wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 16:26

Don't forget the Royer 121.

This is what started my "revolution" with mics: the R-121 goes into the "how did I live without this mic" category: cost no object, it has paid itself back in quality tracks over the past 2 1/2 years...

keep'em comin...

N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

prairiedog

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 10:41:52 PM »

When this thread pops up every week, why does no one ever mention Rode mics? On the lower shelf of my mic closet, I have an NT1 and an NTK which I love. To me they both sound absolutely as big as a TLM103, TLM127, or even a U87 for that matter. Haven't tried a Rode K2 yet...

Is there some bias against the Southern hemisphere going on here? Give Australia it's due!

Jason
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

plughead

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2004, 12:38:55 AM »

prairiedog wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 19:41

When this thread pops up every week, why does no one ever mention Rode mics? On the lower shelf of my mic closet, I have an NT1 and an NTK which I love. To me they both sound absolutely as big as a TLM103, TLM127, or even a U87 for that matter. Haven't tried a Rode K2 yet...

Is there some bias against the Southern hemisphere going on here? Give Australia it's due!

Jason

Well,

Maybe I've just had "mixed" experiences with R0DE mics: I own an NT-1 (1st edition), and have heard the NTK, as well as their sd one, and the only one I liked, and sort of thought admirably of is the Classic, which was "tubby" sounding on the tracks used, but also sounded "real" as opposed to "brittle" or "strident" with the others. I've given the NT-1 a fair shake over the past few years, and it only rarely comes out to play - often is left on the shelf as others have taken up the slack...

Then again, I've not heard the K2, or the older NTV, which has also garnered some praise over the years - maybe someone else can chime in with their "likes" within the Aussie mics...
N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

screws

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2004, 12:10:23 PM »

I've got an NTK and use it often, but it sure aint' no U87. And if anyone thinks it's just as good, I'll trade my NTK for their U87 in a microsecond.
Steve Cruz
Cruzified Music Productions
Florida

Knastratt

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2004, 02:34:09 PM »

But isn't the thing with most new, cheap LD condensers that they may well sound good on-axis but may really suck off-axis? (Due to phase matters) So that they can be great in a dead room but suck badly in an ambient situation.

By the way - my CAD E-100 sounds exactly like the 800$ I paid for it.  Smile
Pär Hällquist - Trackstop Recording.
One stop track shop.

plughead

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2004, 04:04:12 AM »

Knastratt wrote on Sun, 25 April 2004 11:34

But isn't the thing with most new, cheap LD condensers that they may well sound good on-axis but may really suck off-axis? (Due to phase matters) So that they can be great in a dead room but suck badly in an ambient situation.

I've never heard of this argument: can anyone else verify this point of Knastratt's? I'm intrigued, and had never thought of it till now...

N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

Erik Binscent

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2004, 07:50:24 AM »

Brauner VME
“…but the unit was not passing audio…I wasn't too worried about how it might sound…the LED flashes…pretty cool…I used to be skeptical about the whole summing box trend. Not anymore. This thing is ill.” Eric Vincent

Stavross

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 11:38:03 AM »

hargerst wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 21:03

Ok, I'm not trying to duck the question.  Here are some of my best bang for the buck mic choices for under $100:

The Behringer ECM8000 Omni Calibration Mic - $35
The Marshall MXL990 Cardioid Mic - $70
The Marshall MXL 603S Cardioid Mic - $75
The Studio Projects B1 Mic - $80
The Marshall MXLV67 Cardioid Mic - $89
The Oktava MC012 - $99
The Shure SM57 - $75

Stay tuned for more.

For -$100, I see you and raise a Radio Shack PZM

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning". - Rich Cook

hargerst

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2004, 12:27:02 PM »

STAVROSS wrote on Tue, 27 April 2004 10:38

hargerst wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 21:03

Ok, I'm not trying to duck the question.  Here are some of my best bang for the buck mic choices for under $100:

The Behringer ECM8000 Omni Calibration Mic - $35
The Marshall MXL990 Cardioid Mic - $70
The Marshall MXL 603S Cardioid Mic - $75
The Studio Projects B1 Mic - $80
The Marshall MXLV67 Cardioid Mic - $89
The Oktava MC012 - $99
The Shure SM57 - $75

Stay tuned for more.

Yup, if you wanna talk about used mics.  That's a whole 'nother ballpark.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Punkity

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2004, 02:26:42 PM »

hargerst wrote on Tue, 27 April 2004 12:27

STAVROSS wrote on Tue, 27 April 2004 10:38

Yup, if you wanna talk about used mics.  That's a whole 'nother ballpark.

Man, I always forget about those things. Kick myself that I got rid of them with my Tascam MkII all those years ago (kick myself about the Tascam too, but not as often). The no-brainer kick drum mic. Worked at least well enough on everything I tried, and worked damn well on alot of things.

Better than the cheaper-style contemporary mics I've run across since then, but that may be nostalgia.

Gets my vote for "Absolutely, the best buy mic"
Signage of the times.

bloodstone

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2004, 11:46:22 AM »

CAD M9 for voice & electric guitar cabs $400 Musician's Freund

flatcat

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2004, 11:01:08 PM »

I like Audio Technica mics too.  I got a used 4033 and a used 4050 for about $500.  Both of them are really, really useful.

For some vocals and guitar amps, I think the AT3035 is good too.  I've also used it as a drum overhead, and the drummer really loved it.  Those are $199 new.  Excellent value for the money, I think.

bloodstone

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2004, 11:41:11 AM »

prairiedog wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 03:41

Jason

The thing about the Rode stuff that I found undesireable was a metallic shrillness in the upper mids & highs.

bitrot

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2004, 12:09:49 PM »

Me too (Rode metallic high end).  I used the heck out of an NT1000 for almost two years and once my monitoring chain improved my ears demanded that I get rid of it.

Perhaps if I had a darker sounding pre, or a compressor that could shave off some high end, the mic would sound pretty good.  In general, I like it's proximity effect and midrange.  But that high end..... *shudder*.

I wan to throw out the sennheiser e609s as a contender... just played with one this week.  bright on the silver side, but useable on the black side, and tons of great tones to be had off axis.

raw-tracks

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2004, 10:55:33 PM »

I think my vote would have to be for the AT4033. I think you can get useful results on any source with it. Maybe not the best choice for every situation. But definitely not the worst choice for any situation.
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.